• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Leader Invokes Sailor Moon During Korean Visit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
What a way to compare.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
ok, NOW it's getting old.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Um...okay.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Of course!
hexenkessel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
he actually makes a pretty good manga character himself in Mudatsumo.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
What?!? Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts aren't real?!?! *gasp!* My world is crushed!!!

... well, I guess every nation's leaders know how to make idiotic statements. And here I was thinking my good ol' United States had a monopoly...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Despite stating the obvious fact the Sailor scots don't exist (I am not even going to go there on that subject, way too bizare for my tastes) there must have been a reason for saying that.

Slightly off topic but, is Sailor Moon still popular now and days? I thought that series concluded years ago.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know what he's saying. Learn how to use analogies before making them.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
What?!? Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts aren't real?!?! *gasp!* My world is crushed!!!

Oh no! The world is going to end! Oh wait... Sailor Moon IS the World Destroyer...

enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
This is just a passing remark.

It's like Mitt Romney remarking "Who let the dogs out? Whoo! Whoo!"............ and probably just as passe and awkward. Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Slightly off topic but, is Sailor Moon still popular now and days? I thought that series concluded years ago.

The manga and anime ended in the 1990s, but there was a recent (well, relatively) live-action TV series and I believe a new edition of the manga as well. Last I checked, the series was still in print in French, Italian, and German.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

The manga and anime ended in the 1990s, but there was a recent (well, relatively) live-action TV series and I believe a new edition of the manga as well. Last I checked, the series was still in print in French, Italian, and German.

Lucky bastards, I wish TokyoPop was still printing it, I would love to own the series. 2005 was the last year where something new for Sailor Moon came out I believe. It was the specials for the live-action show, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Why the heck would you even consider using a kids show as a reference? This guy is nuts. No offense meant but it is a kids show.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I like that he says "In Japan I'm more well known for being a manga geek." I say no wonder he won the election then, all the hard-core otakus skulked out to the voting booths to elect him, clutching their collectible trading cards of Aso afterwords.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what everyone is getting worked up about. It is an extremely easy analogy to understand, and one that is made all the time all over the world. Just insert a different TV show. Don't get sucked into non-reality, human interaction is the key to understanding each other. This point is made all the time. If the translation in the article is accurate, then it sounds like he said it either off the cuff, or at least with a smile on his face as a way to connect. Sure maybe Sailor Moon might not be in it's apex of popularity right now, but it is something guaranteed that students will know of. Ridiculous, maybe, but if you can't laugh together then all is lost.

Axe-336 wrote:
the hard-core otakus skulked out to the voting booths to elect him, clutching their collectible trading cards of Aso afterwords.
Laughing
My question is how many of those hardcore otaku are the exact opposite of the point he was trying to get across?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2