• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last Week's Naruto Shippūden Now Streaming for Free

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately this can't stop speed-subs until it's streamed within 6 hours (or how fast speed subs are) of airing...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
That may be so, but it's a step in the right direction towards fighting the fansubbers.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Um, Crunchyroll is streaming it 1 hour after the Japanese broadcast for paying members. 92 is already up now. Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, the stream quality isn't what was promised and their servers seem to be unable to keep up with the demand.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
Will Naruto Shippuden get dubbed??????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Um, Crunchyroll is streaming it 1 hour after the Japanese broadcast for paying members. 92 is already up now. Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, the stream quality isn't what was promised and their servers seem to be unable to keep up with the demand.

Broken promises left and right.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
I heard Yuri "dub Sasuke" Lowenthal say on a panel I saw on YouTube it was back in late October-early November that they started recording Shippuden. I might be wrong but with way the fillers are shown on Cartoon Network, it wouldn't be till like April we might start hearing the dub.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Seriously, the stream quality is good enough. Why do you need perfect HD quality on something your getting for free? I've had no problems with the quality at CR from the things I've been watching there for free. Also, I'm really tired of all the complainers that it's not fast enough. You can't wait ONE WEEK for the show? That's ridiculous. They're getting it out as fast as they possibly can. Jeeze. The entitlement. It wreaks.
Maruna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
It's doubtful Shippuuden will even receive a slot to air on Cartoon Network. CN probably doesn't want to show Naruto at all at this point, because, no doubt, even young kids can only take so much of the filler. I'm pretty sure "Those new episode aren't as good as the old ones" is floating around a lot, and they have no idea what's going to happen in the future.

The fans will need to be won back, and unfortunately, the first 50 episodes of Shippuuden might not be able to deliver that. Though, if Cartoon Network shows two episodes per week for a while, that might speed it up enough to get people excited to watch Naruto again.

Cartoon Network has all but thrown Naruto away at this point. What was once Saturday night marathons of eight brand new episodes, is now the possibility of one or two per month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
But people feel that because it's free it should be of the utmost quality for their viewing pleasure, because paying for these little shiny round video storage thingies is a foreign concept.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Seriously, the stream quality is good enough. Why do you need perfect HD quality on something your getting for free? I've had no problems with the quality at CR from the things I've been watching there for free. Also, I'm really tired of all the complainers that it's not fast enough. You can't wait ONE WEEK for the show? That's ridiculous. They're getting it out as fast as they possibly can. Jeeze. The entitlement. It wreaks.

Excuse me? I'm paying for quality because those free streams look like crap on my 32 incl LCD. If you want to watch crap quality then that's fine but CR promised quality 720p and they have yet to live up to it. There is no problem with how fast they can get it done, though they could proof read a bit, but they need to be able to get there servers fixed to handle the load and give us a proper encode. I am entitled because I paid money for something they offered.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
horribleSubs is fast. I though those new eps in this year are fillers, so i haven't watch it yet. A
Stewiesan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quality on Hulu isn't that great.
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
First, I just watched a bit of the 480 version on Hulu and it's not *that* bad. Certainly watchable. Also, if Viz is really trying to offer an alternative to pirating, then they will have to provide quality that's good enough to attract the fansub viewers. Otherwise there's no point to all of this. Gonzo completely failed in that regard with Druaga no To (take a look on crunchyroll). Oh, and even for people who don't buy the crunchyroll subscription, it's not like Viz is just giving the shows away. The streaming sites are supported by advertisements and I'm sure that the sites are paying for a license to broadcast.

I just hope we don't get an announcement like this on ANN *every* week.
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
First, I just watched a bit of the 480 version on Hulu and it's not *that* bad. Certainly watchable. Also, if Viz is really trying to offer an alternative to pirating, then they will have to provide quality that's good enough to attract the fansub viewers. Otherwise there's no point to all of this. Gonzo completely failed in that regard with Druaga no To (take a look on crunchyroll). Oh, and even for people who don't buy the crunchyroll subscription, it's not like Viz is just giving the shows away. The streaming sites are supported by advertisements and I'm sure that the sites are paying for a license to broadcast.

I hope we don't get an announcement like this on ANN for each episode, every week.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I really hate to see efforts like this to provide you people with the shows you want for free, legally, where money is going back to the people who made it for you, bashed and undermined by constant endless whining. It's never going to be good enough, I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4