• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Almost 200

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Haha
"Dead Leaves is brilliant. The End" Smile
Oh yes.
Before Gurren Lagann there was Dead Leaves.
Oh and sadly I think people have forgotten about SamCham, nice to see my all-time fave RuroKen mention too.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I say your review for Night Shift Nurses was beyond brilliant! Laughing

Heck, most of your hentai reviews were hilarious.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Haha
"Dead Leaves is brilliant. The End" Smile
Oh yes.
Before Gurren Lagann there was Dead Leaves.

and before Dead Leaves, there was FLCL. i admit it was a great OVA, though.

if you're going back as far as Azumanga Daioh and Wolf's Rain, i'm surprised you didn't mention Spirited Away.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
"Slayers" got me through college - at one point most of my acquaintance could recite "Dragon Slave" in Japanese. Laughing

"Utena" was also one of those best-thing-since-sliced-bread series for a while, but most of the younger fans I talk to haven't heard of it. But maybe the world doesn't need more teenagers making "smash the world's shell!" jokes...

"Maison Ikkoku" and "Ranma 1/2" also come to mind. Ah, the old days, when I went into the comic book store to buy "main-ga" books of that "ran-ma" stuff, and Tokyopop was called Mixx. Few things can make me feel old like the evolution of a fandom. Very Happy
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The Samurai Champloo opening theme is "lame"? It's just about the only piece of rap that I enjoy listening to, so I'd beg to differ strongly. Razz
JacobC
ANN Contributor

Awesome! I think you did a good job capturing the times past and categorizing the old reviews well. (Remember when this was popular? Laughing)

A lot of my favorites were there, as well as a lot of my friends' favorites, which isn't the same thing, but you picked a lot of the best greats and the "oh gods!" (Eiken...) Very Happy
potassium

Now you're just trying to make me feel old.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Najica Blitz Tactics - I love ecchi, but the story seemed lame and the animation too stilted after his Agent AIKA and Project A-Ko.

Azumanga Daioh - See, I can't understand how someone wouldn't love this. Marathon it with Strawberry Marshmallow, and your viewpoint on life cannot help but improve.

Memories - Thanks for reminding me again. Just ordered it.

Dead Leaves - Absolutely love it. And the extra of the creative team playing a drinking game with foo-foo shooters in a bar as they interview each other is pretty entertaining as well. And yes, v1cious, I thought it's what you'd get if you put FLCL on acid and condensed it into 50 minutes.
Soul Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The review for Duchess of Busty Mounds will always have a special place in my heart.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Memories, along with Neo-Tokyo, are films I'm thinking of watching, but there always exists something else which seems to push in front of them on my viewing schedule. Apparently Kon's piece stole the show as regards the former, but due to personal inclination I'll be more concerned with Otomo's contributions to such projects once I track the DVDs down. Perhaps such preconceptions will be corrected once I have.

As for Gankutsuou, it's certainly acclaimed but I'm waiting until news of a thinpak emerges. If it does, I'll enquire further into the show. Although my reception could vary, elements such as the visual styling and incorporation of French into the various audio tracks may surprise me pleasantly. Then again they may not.

Quote:
...or with her face planted in his crotch.

From my recollection, I believe it was the other way round.
Regardless, I'll admit Eiken achieved what it set out to do. Interpret that as you wish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I probably watched less than half of those shows... and Eiken is one of them, I must admit.
It's always interesting to hear what has been there before, as in "before I knew what anime is", although this might make some of you feel old. Ah well, there's a lot to catch up (especially Genshiken and Wolf's Rain. Maybe I have to go jobbing after all), and there are still books I need to read Very Happy
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Reading that article just makes me think of how much stuff I've missed out on. Of everything listed, I only own one of them, and that's Eiken. Embarassed

Great article, its nice to look back and things, and possibly find more stuff that I'd want to add to my small but growing anime collection. I know of most of these titles, but some in name only. Hopefully that'll change. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
wanderingwilbur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I find that those who will argue over how bad Azumanga Daioh or(Strawberry Marshmallow) suposedly are will Defend to their last breath the awesomeness of Naruto, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh or Bleach.
Everybody has thier own taste or wants in a series/manga, I just dont understand why if its not your cup of tea you have to crucify it . Also i dont hate action/fighting series but they just dont interest me.

Last edited by wanderingwilbur on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
RuroKen is still the best thing since sliced bread! It's probably the only anime/manga series that I can go through over and over again without getting bored of the jokes or the story! Very Happy
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I was into the fandom when most of these were around. I recognize the shows, could tell you what they were about and why they were so popular. But most of them I haven't watched more than an episode or two.

I guess that just goes to show how diverse the fandom is. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5