• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Batman: Gotham Knight Picks Up Two Annie Nominations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
...Why?

The feature sucked more or less...
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the few people who liked GK more than TDK, but I imagine they're honoring it for the different art styles more than the content.
It's a shame Tokikake didn't make this award, either, though. It's nice that Kung Fu Panda beat Wall-E, though.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's nice that Kung Fu Panda beat Wall-E, though.

I lost all respect for the Annie Award.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering why this is the first anime since 2005 to get nominated? Does the Annie award committee dislike anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I'm wondering why this is the first anime since 2005 to get nominated? Does the Annie award committee dislike anime?

From the Award's Webpage: Entries submitted for consideration must be from productions that were originally released theatrically, appeared on television or were exhibited in a film festival in the United States between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
And there are plenty of titles which fit that bill. Appleseed, Paprika and TK come to mind.
tripdragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
wow. They like crap.
Seriously, there was Zero Joker. None, nill. Nada..
Sucked......
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
tripdragon wrote:
wow. They like crap.
Seriously, there was Zero Joker. None, nill. Nada..
Sucked......

Of course there wasn't a Joker, if there were it would have taken away from his appearance in the Dark Knight
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
...Why?

The feature sucked more or less...

The award nominations are for its productions, like how typical KyoAni works have good productions but the series overall suck. Razz

GATSU wrote:
I'm one of the few people who liked GK more than TDK, but I imagine they're honoring it for the different art styles more than the content.
It's a shame Tokikake didn't make this award, either, though. It's nice that Kung Fu Panda beat Wall-E, though.

Kung Fu Panda may have more nominations, but we'll see who actually takes home the awards, especially the main one. Razz

LuckySeven wrote:

Any ASIFA member can vote on the nominations, and to be an ASIFA member, IIRC all it takes is be an animation enthusiast and $20 annual subscription. Ya guys want more votes? Become members. The studios still have to provide the submissions though. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
Ugh, first the Oscar snub for TDK, now this. [Thanks to AICN for the info.] Yes, I too think a spin-off to a crappy Matt Groening sitcom no one even watched during its original run is more worthy of an award than a quality anime anthology which treats Batman fans with respect. Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The award nominations are for its productions, like how typical KyoAni works have good productions but the series overall suck.

Your view is yours, my view is mine, and never the twain shall meet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ugh, first the Oscar snub for TDK, now this. [Thanks to AICN for the info.] Yes, I too think a spin-off to a crappy Matt Groening sitcom no one even watched during its original run is more worthy of an award than a quality anime anthology which treats Batman fans with respect. Rolling Eyes

Yes. That is because people are stupid. Also, discrediting something based on it's lack of mainstream popularity is the last thing I would expect to hear from you. I think a lot more people bought Kung-Fu Panda than Gotham Knight so by your logic...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken: Gotham Knight was a hit in its own right. It's just that, outside of Miyazaki, these award jerks don't even consider any non-white or non-white-produced talent. [Unless you count out-sourced to Korea to be part of that talent. Rolling Eyes ] On the other hand, the Japanese didn't automatically flip off Bashir, just because it was made by a gaijin.

As for Futurama, it wasn't popular because it sucked. It's Matt Groening's Firefly. And the only reason it's not really "niche", like TDK, is because of the Simpsons connection. But I don't feel sorry for it, because it had its chance-and probably a better chance than most animated shows, including Family Guy. And the staff will continue to rake it in from the geek fandom dvd sales, so they ain't exactly hurtin' like the Japanese industry.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

As for Futurama, it wasn't popular because it sucked. It's Matt Groening's Firefly. And the only reason it's not really "niche", like TDK, is because of the Simpsons connection. But I don't feel sorry for it, because it had its chance-and probably a better chance than most animated shows, including Family Guy. And the staff will continue to rake it in from the geek fandom dvd sales, so they ain't exactly hurtin' like the Japanese industry.

Thanks for proving once again that you rarely have any idea what you're talking about. Futurama brought in substantial ratings during its tenure on [adult swim], so much so that it got itself jumped on by Comedy Central and renewed for more episodes. And as even you noted, it does huge business in DVD sales. On top of that, it's the most consistently intelligently-written comedy I've ever come across; it's no coincidence that the Simpsons really started to go downhill when it took off.

And while I enjoyed Gotham Knight well enough, that was mostly because of Kevin Conroy; it wasn't anything all that special in its own right. Try to put your Asianophilia aside for a moment and take a look at what's really worthy of recognition.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it was really popular, it'd be back on FOX, and not Comedy Central. And I noted that it does well enough on DVD to justify making more of 'em, but that it's still a geek title. As for the most consistently written comedy, that goes to South Park. And the Simpsons went downhill, because it was trying to be as "mature" as Futurama and as mean-spirited as South Park, instead of being its usual slice-of-life fun. Moving on to GK, as the crappy animation for later Batman shows will attest, Conroy's only as good as his material. And TDK works precisely because it uses the same approach as the original show: to explore the characters' identities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2