• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's YTV to Premiere Pretty Cure on March 6

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
BLEAH!! DUBBED!!!

I am glad Crunchyroll is showing it unedited with subtitles!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Is that really the schedule for the show? Seriously?

Unless there are plenty of kids who are willing to sit around on an early Saturday afternoon, this is a major flub on YTV's part. Whatever happened to Saturday morning premieres like YTV did with Dragon Ball Z? Or weekday slots during the noon lunch hour with an encore presentation in the Zone? Remember the mid 90's YTV? Where you actually cared more about your anime?

This is an embarrassment!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Even though I've already seen large chunks of it subtitled, I'll still be watching.

After Mike Judge's The Goode Family, the Pretty Cure dub is my second-most-anticipated "new" show this winter, though I'm hoping it'll get a bilingual DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Hopley this dub won't be as bad as the cardcaptors Dub,but I'll still be looking forward to this dub because hey we have'nt had a new dubbed Magical girl anime in ages since the 4kids dubs of Ojama Doremi and Tokyo mew mew.

but i'm still disapointed that Nagisa and Honoka's names have to be changed for the english Dub version.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Also, about the time slot, I'm guessing it's because Nickelodeon practically "owns" all of the prime schedule real estate on weekday afternoons and weekend mornings, with what little of the prime schedule remaining going to Canadian content, so that an untested magical girl franchise with no crossborder spillover "awareness" from American airings (i.e. being publicized in American kids magazines) will be pretty much regulated to the weekend afternoon ratings black hole.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
The timeslots aren't really that bad, especially since they're going for younger audiences. Far worse shows have done well with similar treatment. Not to mention that it will likely be back-to-back with Pokemon on Saturdays. I'm just glad it didn't end up on the graveyard that is Saturday nights.

ChronoBall X wrote:
Hopley this dub won't be as bad as the cardcaptors

That's very unlikely. Toei is handling the localization themselves for this series, and their past televised efforts haven't been bad. They'll apparently be using Ocean Studios in Vancouver for the dubbing, so at the very least we should expect a product several steps above the Sailor Moon S and SuperS dubs. I am curious about how the show is going to be localized, though!

Last edited by Pepperidge on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
but I'll still be looking forward to this dub because hey we have'nt had a new dubbed Magical girl anime in ages since the 4kids dubs of Ojama Doremi and Tokyo mew mew.

Wah?

Nanoha?
PowerPuff Girls Z? (Dubbed but not released in North America)
Sasami?

I don't even care for this genre, yet I know of those...
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
If this is the best YTV is going to offer anime fans, then that's pretty pathetic. This is clearly for the kids. I'd like to see YTV pick up some more new series for friday or saturday evenings. I remember when YTV used to show anime at a decent hour, and the zone lineup was mostly anime. Why can't they make similar efforts for decent anime these days?
Jinxso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
If this is the best YTV is going to offer anime fans, then that's pretty pathetic. This is clearly for the kids. I'd like to see YTV pick up some more new series for friday or saturday evenings. I remember when YTV used to show anime at a decent hour, and the zone lineup was mostly anime. Why can't they make similar efforts for decent anime these days?

I too remember the "good old days" however I just don't think they got the ratings they wanted and decided to refocus most of the programming to most kid/teen appeal.

It would be nice to see them go late evening 11+ with some more young adult anime offerings but I doubt it. They are canada's youth station and want to remain focused on that.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Jinxso wrote:
I too remember the "good old days" however I just don't think they got the ratings they wanted and decided to refocus most of the programming to most kid/teen appeal.

It would be nice to see them go late evening 11+ with some more young adult anime offerings but I doubt it. They are canada's youth station and want to remain focused on that.

Yeah, I agree. I'd like to see more after 10PM anime on YTV like they used to have. Guess no one was watching :/
justdave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Nanoha?
PowerPuff Girls Z? (Dubbed but not released in North America)
Sasami?

I don't even care for this genre, yet I know of those...

Were Nanoha and Sasami ever on TV? As far as I knew those dubs were direct-to-DVD and never made it on TV. I think he meant stuff on TV. PPGZ was TV only (haven't seen dubbed DVDs yet), but not in North America, as you mention.

And the same studio doing Pretty Cure that did PPGZ quite franky scares me. The dubs of PPGZ that made it onto Youtube sucked, compared to the original subtitled versions.

Though having looked at the YTV site, the way the description of the show is worded shows a lot of promise. For one, they're actually calling the bad guys "the Dark Zone." Toei's official subtitles and the demo dub they were passing around trying to sell licensing all used "Dotsuku Zone" which not only sounded bad, but sounded like it was transliterated in reverse or something (it was plainly obvious in the original Japanese audio they were using the English "Dark Zone" as their name - why not keep it?)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
justdave wrote:

Though having looked at the YTV site, the way the description of the show is worded shows a lot of promise. For one, they're actually calling the bad guys "the Dark Zone." Toei's official subtitles and the demo dub they were passing around trying to sell licensing all used "Dotsuku Zone" which not only sounded bad, but sounded like it was transliterated in reverse or something (it was plainly obvious in the original Japanese audio they were using the English "Dark Zone" as their name - why not keep it?)

Actually, no, the original was supposed to be "Dotsuku Zone" = "Dusk Zone", not Dark Zone.

That Dark Zone was a translation choice the fansubber, i.e. ME, chose many years ago because "Dusk Zone" sounded off to me.

It looks to me like whoever wrote the dub script was familiar with my fansubs because they've chosen very similar conventions... Dark Zone, Garden of Light (instead of "Field of Light" like Toei' website has), etc... it might be a coincidence but I'd like to think my subs ended up influencing the dub script a bit Smile.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:

Well, the attention that YTV's decision to air this series is getting can probably be chalked up to how evocative it is of their airing of Sailor Moon back in the 90s. After all, that was always seen as the seminal anime show on Canadian TV. Pretty Cure may be a kid's show being targeted at kids, but I really think this is a good thing. I mean, how many quality anime series' for younger audiences have aired on television lately? Sometimes it seems that in the quest to have authentic anime on the air for fans, so many people forget about the types of series that will reel in younger audiences. After all, that's how a great number of current fans first got into anime.

Yeah, it would be nice if YTV would take Bionix out of stasis and actually sought new programming for it, but it's not like they even have a lot of sure-fire options for it right now, especially if ratings have dropped. Who knows, maybe things will pick up again when that new FMA anime is inevitably released?
justdave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Sometimes it seems that in the quest to have authentic anime on the air for fans, so many people forget about the types of series that will reel in younger audiences. After all, that's how a great number of current fans first got into anime.

The majority of what I personally like seems to be stuff that's actually aimed at kids (though I do find good entertainment in some of the older-age-targeted stuff as well). And I have kids at home that enjoy watching it with me, too. It'd be wonderful to get more of the anime that's actually aimed at kids on TV over here.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Well, the attention that YTV's decision to air this series is getting can probably be chalked up to how evocative it is of their airing of Sailor Moon back in the 90s. After all, that was always seen as the seminal anime show on Canadian TV. Pretty Cure may be a kid's show being targeted at kids, but I really think this is a good thing. I mean, how many quality anime series' for younger audiences have aired on television lately? Sometimes it seems that in the quest to have authentic anime on the air for fans, so many people forget about the types of series that will reel in younger audiences. After all, that's how a great number of current fans first got into anime.

You're right. I think if there was a new hit anime for kids, it would also translate into picking up other anime for the later timeslot too. Pokemon, Digimon and DBZ all encouraged more (less popular) anime to be shown later at night (like Gundam Wing and Escaflowne at that time). Yu Gi Oh did the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4