• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-06]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Ooh, first post! Unless someone is beating me to it as I type. I agree with Kerry. Vampire Knight/Guilty need to be licensed, pronto! Personnally, I suspect Viz is planning on licensing it since they already have the manga and have mentioned the anime in Shojo Beat. Of course, they've been notoriously slow in putting out anime lately, so maybe someone else will beat them to it. But yeah, that's a sure thing, imho. Course I'm looking forward to Soul Eater, too, though I'm less familar with that.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
I'm also surprised that no one has licensed VK yet. The anime was successful enough to get two seasons and if you released a box set of the first season around the same time as the new Twilight movie I'm sure it could ride the coattails and get some good sales (plenty of new YA vampire books have come out since Twilight so why not anime?).

And for the guy who was asking what to do at autograph sessions, I've seen some people get their conbooks signed (the little books you get at conventions with a map, list of panels, and expos on the guests) and that could help you to remember whose signature was whose. Or you could be old fashioned and get a little notebook to fill up with signatures as the years go by.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
Funny how someone should ask about Yugioh. I just got back into collecting cards about a week ago. And yes, mecha and giant robot shows to me are overdone. Just look at Gundam.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a dumb person who can't tell the difference between a Knightmare and a Gundam if they're not two different colors, but I absolutely love and adore the "giant robot genre" culture (Super Robot Wars has got to be God's gift to fans and I desperately wish that it would be magically translated into English someday, even if I can't play video games and hate strategy and stuff, just so that I can see Gai Shishio and Shinji Ikari onboard the Macross fighting bad guys from King Gainer.) There are some things about it that I like more than others, and some trends that have been creeping in lately that I HATE. So I'm looking forward to next week's Answerfans!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't really see some 8 year old wanting the Characters from Vampire Knights on their lunch boxes. Its obvious what really makes a series the next big thing. Just look at what came before it.

DBZ: Explosions and brutally beating people up but its okay cause they can take it.
Pokemon: Anime Slavery. Cocking fighting for kids.
Yugioh: Game Addictions and the occasional dabble in the dark arts.
Naruto: Historically ninjas were bad people, dirty even but now they are cool and you should be one too!
Sailormoon: It's okay to look at these underage girls while they magically undress. They're the good guys!

What do these shows have in common besides being shonen? They take negative social disorders, conduct, types of people, and/or dangerous activities and turns them into positives! Making them fun for all people of ages!

Other shows have tried but fell just short of being the next big thing. Death Note took itself too seriously. If Light only looked happier when he killed people or made them die happy deaths like "Death by Puppies" or "death by boobies" it would have been the next big thing. Like this! "Answerman, death by Bunny cuteness." Or if everytime he killed a bad person, he'd save a bunny! We love bunnys.

Bleach makes dying sound like a good thing! Look at all the cool stuff you can do once you die! If only the could have made some kind of system where the more times you die or kill yourself, the more powers you get. Like the reverse for leveling up in RPG. Now that would have made you huge.

Persona 3, okay this a game but its cool and edgy. Shooting yourself in the head won't kill you. It brings out the real you. If only this was turned into the anime and not a series based on the Persona games.

I think the next big thing actually works with Chowder! Eating! No not eating contest or a show about cooking. I'm talking about eating your enemy. A show where the good guys and bad guys fight it out and the loser is eaten, or most likely due to censoring and the whole spin or twist aspect all animes need, absorbed into the winner. Think about it! Good guy defeats evil demon and absorbs an takes its power or a part of its power. Friend of Main character A loses and bad guy B absorbs him thus giving Main character A a reason to get stronger to defeat Bad Guy B. But Bad Guy B eventually becomes Main Character D and Main Character A puts aside his differences because somehow soul of Friend of Main Character A and Bad Guy B's love for Main Character C makes him good. You got tragedy, drama, the power-up moments, and cannibalism!

Yeah that's gold right there. But you can't be too intense on the eating thing. It's gotta be really casually referenced to but you still gotta do it. You gotta make the absorption scenes really cool looking rather then gross and wrong like it really is. Now we just need a good title. Or maybe a show about cutting yourself.... hmm.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
They are too played out, but that doesn't stop them from being awesome. It's a human ego thing, to see an anthropomorphic man made of metal or some polycarbonate wielding gigantic weapons and fighting others like it. Freud would have something to say about it.
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Mecha too overplayed? What is this nonsense?

To a greater extent I agree but there have been some pretty damn fine mecha series that do a little more than the average series in the past couple years (Code Geass, Gundam 00, Macross Frontier). Sure you're going to get things like Linebarrels but ultimately I don't think they're that bad.

The next big breakout series? I'm sorta confused by most of responses and not sure that anything mentioned will really get that popular. Probably Soul Eater once it's out...
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Brian you shouldn't be concerned with not getting any flakes. It goes without saying that you're a lot more likable than Zac and less snarky to boot. You either won't get any or only a little few and far between.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
No! NOT THE BUNNY!

nah, mecha isn't played out, everything is played out. It's all been done. Swords, Magical Girlz, Mechs. They are all readily identifiable. So whata'we got left? Stories. Same as we always have. It doesn't matter if the magical girl is actually the soul of the mech, or the cipher that turns out to be the daughter of the enemy, why do we care about her? Why do we care about the protagonist that falls flat on his face trying to get the mech to walk the first time? If he is going to save the world somehow, someway, it'll be because the world is worth saving, and it's a bonus if he can save that magical girl too... or she becomes part of him, or he's part of her or he tries to strangle her in the end because he can't decide if he loves or loathes her...

say, did I miss any types? what we really need is a robot boy with a hot chick that hates boys, piloting... has that one been done? Oh, and complete with the esxistential angst that turns out that the whole thing is a dream of a bunny seeking revenge on humanity for all the bunnies that have ever become pavement pizza...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Funny how someone should ask about Yugioh. I just got back into collecting cards about a week ago.

I was in that phase too. Now I'm stuck trying to unload a buku amount of Yu Gi Oh cards that I don't want anymore.

fighterholic wrote:
And yes, mecha and giant robot shows to me are overdone. Just look at Gundam.

I wouldn't say that it is overdone per say. While yes there are lots of different shows about mecha there is still lots to look at. I think one that hasn't been done enough is more realistic mecha shows (like Patlabor for example.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Brian you shouldn't be concerned with not getting any flakes. It goes without saying that you're a lot more likable than Zac and less snarky to boot.

But BOY do I miss my snarkiness! Razz

That said, Brian is doing a fine job. I just miss Zac's acerbic wit!
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Greenblatt made a really good point in this article - that it's a lot harder to write funny material that the whole family can watch, than it is to be crude. Don't get me wrong, something like Family Guy can be funny, but at the same time, it's easy laughs - they make a joke about sex, drugs, bodily functions, or show someone getting hurt, and there you go - insta-funny!
There's a show in Canada called Corner Gas, and it's humour is pretty much the opposite of Family Guy style humour - it's witty, sarcastic, and not nearly as mean-spirited, and it does it all without being overly crude or vulgar. And it's a genuinely funny show.
For me, I respect the humour in a show like Corner Gas far more than I respect the humour in Family Guy, or American Dad because when you're not relying on being crass, or just throwing random pop culture references around, you have to think a lot harder to come up with funny situations, and funny dialogue.
Chowder sounds like a pretty interesting show, especially at the mention of stop-motion animation mixed in with traditional animation. Might have to check it out.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Many kudos to Mr. Greenblat for not only checking out this kind of stuff, but for standing up for American Animation (I can't say western; I don't know jack about what they're doing in France, but I'm sure it's the same.) Anyways, I've always felt that American Animation has been looked down on far too often. Sure, we've had some great and clever shows but its still stuck in a kids category. However, it makes me wonder if that will change in a few generations where the executives will be people who used to watch DBZ when they were ten. It may take some patience but I think (especially with the internet) that animation will take on a new life, considering the impact that it has had in the past ten years.

Perhaps this is too much of a big picture perspective . . .
xia83

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
What is Zac doing nowadays anyway?

If mecha is played out, then so is all other genre's of anime.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Even as an animal lover, you bunny cartoon this week made me laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6