• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - MmmBobobop

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Bobobobo-bobobo can be pretty funny, but it's best enjoyed at a slower pace. One chapter at a time keeps it fresh, but a whole manga volume in one sitting can definetely become overwhelming! Laughing
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
There weren't any new articles since my last visit when I came to the site, and I was just reading an old Right Turn Only! article where the first volume of Real was reviewed. It was kind of weird to find this article when I checked the homepage again, and a review of the fourth volume.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I've definitely been eyeing Hot Gimmick recently, since I've been enjoying Honey Hunt's serialization in Shojo Beat. I probably will pick up the VizBig edition at some point, since that should give me a good idea as to whether I want to read the rest (though I am glad to hear that it's only 12 volumes long, that's a good size).
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I really tried to read Hot Gimmick since I had started it a while back. I really did. But it was just more misogyny than I could handle. I was in it for the family side of the plot, but even that bit of interest wasn’t enough to make me finish it. I might try some day, but I have far better things to read and watch that don’t have such horrible shoujo clichés to be frank.

Last edited by posterior_praiser on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... as much as I love Dogs at this point, it did take me a while (and the urging of a friend) to get into it. The first volume's all just set-up, though - and it is a series where style is at the forefront rather than substance.

As for Cross Game, if the manga is anything like the first episode of the anime... then it's over-hyped maudlin drivel.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to like Hot Gimmick. The characters were so pretty... but I really really hated the way the main characters were. I just thought it the relationship was terribly abusive, and saw no good coming out of it.

Much like Twilight. Control freaky insane boyfriend. Obsessive, weak girlfriend. I really loathe those type of relationships and how they're portrayed as "romantic."
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Haruka Fukushima's (of this week's trainwreck Orange Planet) Instant Teen: Just add Nuts (I know, that was sooo 2004), and wow. What a piece of crap. By the last volume I was just like "Brain: off", and it wasn't so terrible, and I was even kinda like 'aww that was...not THAT bad'. That said, I honestly can't believe she's had more works licensed. What a waste of resources.

Another trainwreck I couldn't look away from was Hot Gimmick. I think this week's RTO captured my feelings perfectly. I hate them all, but I was holding out that Hatsumi would grow a backbone and tell them to piss off. Didn't happen. I just had to know what happened, but I hated myself for continuing to read U_U. Arrg, I'm getting frustrated thinking about it!!

Just read the first volume of Real and Slam Dunk pretty much one after the other - wow, both are super amazing, if total opposite in tone. I also get the feeling Inoue's just doing whatever he wants in Real, but I don't give a crap if it's going nowhere by volume four. I'm on board!
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'll second that emotion of self-hatred for having to read every volume of Hot Gimmick. Darn you, Hot Gimmick, and your addictiveness despite having the worst characters ever. Seriously.
giascle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
I assume Future Diary gets far better than you make it sound. I've been meaning to read it for a while, and I'm sure it doesn't have an average rating of Excellent for nothing.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
I assume Future Diary gets far better than you make it sound. I've been meaning to read it for a while, and I'm sure it doesn't have an average rating of Excellent for nothing.

The story and character relations are VERY bi-polar throughout the series. At some points stuff feels sloppy and poorly executed.

But I liked it. It's definitely NOT good as far as quality goes, but read-ability is very, very high.

Guess I need to pick up the official English release and ditch scanlations, now... I did prefer the Japanese title, though. I'm not one of those weird elitists that spazz out over any titles changes, but "Mirai Nikki" just sounds cooler than "Future Diary".
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sawai tries to cover up his lack of comedic talent by ramping up the pace to the point of incomprehension, but having ridiculous attacks where the main heroes even beat up their own guys does not magically become funny just because you're trying to cram 10 panels into each page.

Well, it worked in celluloid for the Three Stooges...

Quote:
Having a worthless side character like Beauty constantly popping up in the corner to describe each attack doesn't help, either.

That's kind of the point?

Quote:
Worse yet, the lack of artistic talent needs covering up as well, and littering every scene with speedlines and special effects and random sight gags obviously isn't working.

That's a helluva lot of detail, though.

Quote:
The character designs are barely a step above amateur, the backgrounds even more so (Are they fighting on a bridge? In a shopping district? Middle of nowhere? Who cares?), and the whole thing is just a pain to look at.

I'm guessing that's the point, too.

Anyway, judging by your other reviews, you must have had a disappointing week. :lol:

As for Real, I think Inoue wants to build up some tension for the next story-I hope.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't have much trouble putting Hot Gimmick down when, after too much to-do about nothing, the next volume's synopsis didn't include the main characters.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
I've read a decent amount of the manga and I love it. Easily up there with the best of the twisted character-centric mysteries and thrillers like Death Note and Higurashi no Naku Koroni.

I would disagree with Carlo immensely; the points against seem to consist solely of nitpicking, and I'm someone who would easily drop a series due to such banal character stereotypes.

Basically, if you like the twisted mentalities and brutality of stuff like Higurashi, with the big reveals and dramatization of Death Note, this is an amazing series. The twists and turns make for a wild ride, and the extreme natures of the characters make it a very unexpected one as well.

I suppose I did enjoy it more as it went along, but I was also hooked right from the first few chapters, and didn't find the bombing incident or said bomber all as absurd as Carlo makes it out to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seljuk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
I think Carlo's Mirai Nikki (I just can't get used to calling it Future Diary for the life of me...) rating is off too. Everything is far too planned to just throw up a stereotypical "throw everything and see what sticks" label. Yes, there are a lot of elements, but they mesh in so naturally to the story. It seems someone forgot to suspend his disbelief when reading a story with supernatural elements.

And a goth loli? I reread just to check, I can concede that her clothes at that time are on the goth side, but loli? No way. It seems you're just throwing blanket statements to hide your lack of anything truly substantial against this manga.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I really wanted to like Hot Gimmick. The characters were so pretty... but I really really hated the way the main characters were. I just thought it the relationship was terribly abusive, and saw no good coming out of it.

Much like Twilight. Control freaky insane boyfriend. Obsessive, weak girlfriend. I really loathe those type of relationships and how they're portrayed as "romantic."

Oh, it's kinda scary how fangirls describe their relationship as "romantic". It's pretty disturbing because the guy's a total ass. What do girls even see in him? The 2 other guys are WAY better.

To be honest, I only continued reading it for the other characters ( Like Azusa and Shinogu ) The ending was horrible though. But I have to admit, I liked the cover art U__U
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3