• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Writing Style

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well we should find out by Wednesday but all signs point to this is real.

24th is a Sunday.

Another thing:
Quote:
Update 2: TV Wakayama's schedule no longer lists the episode title. TV Wakayama told the Gigazine website that it was instructed not to post the episode title — but since the title was "somehow" posted anyways, the station has deleted that information. Thanks, Aeria.

"Anyways" is not a word in the English language. A quick look in any English dictionary, including American ones, reveals it to be incorrect, or at least, nonstandard. "Anyway" is correct. Do you perhaps also say "anybodies" and "anyones"?
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Of course. Bad English is the bane of the world. Or should I say English is the bane of the world? Such a horrible mess of a language.
Anyway, a helpful tip for you, sailorsean. A few pages back, you said, "Your right." This begs the question, whose right? (Not "who's", because that's "who is", and not possessive who.)
Unless you meant "you're right."

Regarding the date thing, I seem to have missed the post about the 21st. However, the 21st still isn't a Wednesday. It's a Thursday.

EDIT: It seems sailorsean removed his post in which he commented on my fussing over the nonstandard word "anyways". This post is mostly in response to it.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
"Anyways" is not a word in the English language.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anyways

mulrich wrote:
This begs the question

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/begs-the-question.aspx
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
mulrich wrote:
"Anyways" is not a word in the English language.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anyways

mulrich wrote:
"Anyways" is not a word in the English language. A quick look in any English dictionary, including American ones, reveals it to be incorrect, or at least, nonstandard. "Anyway" is correct. Do you perhaps also say "anybodies" and "anyones"?

Firstly, it's a bad idea to leave out important stuff. But you're probably American, so idiotic censorship must be pretty normal. In any case, it only make you look stupid. Secondly, try looking in other dictionaries, including actual dictionaries, assuming you own any. I ask again, do you also say "anybodies" and "anyones"? No? Didn't think so. Hence "anyways" is wrong. I can't be arsed to find the exact grammar rules on the subject, because arguing with illiterate people isn't worth my time.

Egan Loo wrote:
mulrich wrote:
This begs the question

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/begs-the-question.aspx

Aha. We live and learn. You could learn something.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Firstly, it's a bad idea to leave out important stuff. But you're probably American, so idiotic censorship must be pretty normal. In any case, it only make you look stupid. Secondly, try looking in other dictionaries, including actual dictionaries, assuming you own any. I ask again, do you also say "anybodies" and "anyones"? No? Didn't think so. Hence "anyways" is wrong. I can't be arsed to find the exact grammar rules on the subject, because arguing with illiterate people isn't worth my time.

I think sailorsean and I were pointing out the irony in assertions that a word is not a word in the English language (when it is) and is nonstandard or wrong … when these assertions themselves have "nonstandard" usages of the phrase "begs the question" and the term "arsed."
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
I think sailorsean and I were pointing out the irony in assertions that a word is not a word in the English language (when it is) and is nonstandard or wrong … when these assertions themselves have "nonstandard" usages of the phrase "begs the question" and the term "arsed."

Why is it that you simply cannot accept "anyways" isn't proper English? Are you that hellbent on not having a proper language?

As for the other things, I already admitted my mistake, and have moved on and learned something today. It's sad that you seem unable to learn.

As for the word "arse", I'm not sure you're aware of this - you certainly don't seem to be - but there's this language called English that originates from England. In England - or the United Kingdom, as it's called today - they speak British English. In British English, it's "arse", not "ass". Being European, I learned - surprise! - British English in school, though American English is pretty common due to movies and TV.

Incidentally, school is also where I was taught why "anyways" makes no sense grammatically.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:

Why is it that you simply cannot accept "anyways" isn't proper English? Are you that hellbent on not having a proper language?

As for the other things, I already admitted my mistake, and have moved on and learned something today. It's sad that you seem unable to learn.

As for the word "arse", I'm not sure you're aware of this - you certainly don't seem to be - but there's this language called English that originates from England. In England - or the United Kingdom, as it's called today - they speak British English. In British English, it's "arse", not "ass". Being European, I learned - surprise! - British English in school, though American English is pretty common due to movies and TV.

Incidentally, school is also where I was taught why "anyways" makes no sense grammatically.

I don't think I (or anyone else) said either word is (or isn't) proper English. However, both the adverbial form of "anyways" and the verbal form of "arsed" are dialectal. Both words originated in England — the first recorded use of "anyways" predates the first recorded use of "arse" by at least a century. ("Arsed" as a verb comes still later, and this verbal form is actually in less British dictionaries than "anyways.") Using "arsed" in the middle of criticizing the use of "anyways" is the issue, since such criticism is, at best, inconsistent.
megas88

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:

Dude, this is the internet. We use lolcats to detemine who's right for god's (srry, Haruhi's sake lol. I couldn't resist) and rofl, ilmao, ftw, wtf etc. I'm pretty sure that "propper" language pretty much died arround these parts long times ago xd. Before you tell me that I'm saying the same things as everyone else and trying to prove a point I'm not. I want to be a writter even. And for whatever it's worth most people think that that means having a good grip on what you call propper english. Completly the oposite. English, Japanese whatever language you speak is what you make of it. Therefore I have one thing I must do now. I think it's a grammer lesson we can all learn from that holds true to the subject of this thread and my post:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/animefanrk2k/Suzumiya.jpg

LEARN IT MUHAHAHAHHAHA! And if there are any problems with that I have another picture if the need arises to bring your soul to it's knees. But that's for another day and I await eagerly in front of my screen now for the hopeful release of the second season.
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
megas88, yes, this is the Internet. However, Anime News Network is a news site. Bad spelling and grammar means the staff, who should be keeping some sort of journalistic professionalism, aren't doing a proper job.

Naturally, content comes first, but using proper language is important as well.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:
megas88, yes, this is the Internet. However, Anime News Network is a news site. Bad spelling and grammar means the staff, who should be keeping some sort of journalistic professionalism, aren't doing a proper job.

However, as has been pointed above, the example you cited is a word spelled out in dictionaries. It's dialectal, but it's not a good example of what you're trying to criticize.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Och. Does this thread really have to become a grammar battleground? How about a little on-topicality*, please?

*not a real word
megas88

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
mulrich wrote:

Naturally, content comes first, but using proper language is important as well.

Jeez, fine. I didn't want to do this but have you ever looked at gizmodo, engadget, ars technica, etc. They're all news as well and they goof up too. Allow me to point you to this site so you can finnaly drop this pointless arguement. Maybe you'll even get a laugh or 500 lol. www.failblog.org

and peculiar, this seems to be a legit news casting channel. So why did they........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRcTgMsEG2k

and (keep in mind don't start an entirely new debate. This one could spawn one that will last decades) um........ two words..... George Bush. So, news sites have to keep propper grammer but the president doesn't right? YAY FOR THE ENGLISH DICTIONART. Oops, I seem to have conviently forgoton to use my spell check in this last sentence and word before it lol. Now then, can you please drop this? Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1