• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Ends Watchmen's 11-Month Run as #1 Graphic Novel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow~ Very nice!! :D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
THIS is the reason why you are able to find Naruto and Bleach in places you wouldn't imagine! For those to live and/or have visited British Columbia, you will know what BC Ferries are. Just recently I was surprised to see... Naruto and Bleach sitting in the gift shop! Manga is truly taking over!!
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see manga getting the attention is deserves.
Certainly alot more interesting than the crap the US are spewing out as of late.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Go Kubo!! Very Happy
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Of all the things to dethrone Watchmen, it was Bleach? No offense for Bleach fans, but it's a far cry compared to Watchmen. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Not surprized volume 27 is exceptionally awesome. I thought it would go one way, but I was happily suprized and really enjoyed this volume.

But the anime is still awesome as well. Johnny Young Bosch continues to do a above A+ performance, even the other voice actors are doing better than before. Its no wonder how a great show is back at #1 where it belongs.

RogueJedi86: Better Bleach than some fluffy moe manga or run of the mill show. And I am not saying that because I am a fan of Bleach though.

Even if I weren't I much rather have a shonen/action series than to have a series that isn't anything special to talk about.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Good going. This volume of Bleach was the best one in a while, even though Kubo's recycled the main plot points from the Soul Society Rescue arc.

I was actually more surprised that manga is dominating the charts as it is. Wasn't aware that it sold so well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Finally, Watchmen's reign at #1 ends.
e-imi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Of all the things to dethrone Watchmen, it was Bleach? No offense for Bleach fans, but it's a far cry compared to Watchmen. Smile
Seconded.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a combination of #27 being a big volume and Watchmen having been on top for eleven months.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Seconded.

Hey, it could be worse. If a volume containing the last 15 or so chapters had "dethroned" (surely we can find a better word than that Confused) Watchmen, yeah, the wall-banging would commence. Though, this week's chapter surprisingly wasn't half bad, but at Kubo's rate, I'm suspecting the quality-high will only last so long.

Also, because it needs to be repeated: Kubo, learn to use backgrounds already. I'm sick of watching the characters do stuff amongst a great white void. Oh. and putting more than 5 pages worth of actual content in each chapter would help the anime version a LOT. Kubo's already mentioned in an interview that the rest of the year will probably be filler for the anime, gee, you think?!
giascle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who is happy about this has obviously not read Watchmen.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
or has different tastes....ever consider that?

I think it's funny those watchmen guys were probably about to party for 1-year of being number 1....only for this to happen.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Seconded.

Thirded! Because it's an insult to Bleach to even put it in the same category as that calamity!

Anyway, in all seriousness, Bleach hit a dry spell for a while, it's getting hype again but I get the feeling Kubo's struggling to pace things in a way that keeps his fans interested and at the same time unveil some cool stuff later on. Evidence being all useless banter taking place..but it looks like with the latest chapter that stuff's on the move again.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
giascle wrote:

I agree it's really not fair to even compare both. Bleach is good and all but it has a long long story that really makes not a whole lot of sense and never ending. . Watchmen its a comic that really changed the way comics were made. Its such a huge influence that really its really up there with The Dark knight Returns and a few others that were huge influences in the business and changed the way they are made. Bleach isnt bad, but its nothing new or interesting like Watchmen is. If your bashing watchmen they you obviously have not read it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8