• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-07-31]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I respect that Arabian guy. It seems that people that can buy anime don't take advantage of it, and people that would kill to buy a simple boxset, can't. I agree with Answerman, support anime and manga. Even a bad series is better than no series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, great rant Saudi Otaku. I too know the frustration of living in a country (New Zealand) where Anime, but especially Manga, is difficult to find. And when you do find it there isn't much of it, and what is actually there is two months behind Australia and almost a year behind America. It stinks. My situation isn't nearly as bad as yours, but I still can sympathise with you.

Oh, and this week's Hey, Answerfans! segment is easy. It is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and I'll fight tooth and nail to make sure everyone knows it. Look out for my submission in next week's column because I will certainly be firing off an E-mail.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm still caught up in Spring shows: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen, and Dragon Ball Kai. I'm not picking up another show, unless I wisely drop the new Haruhi season, but somehow it's like a bad habit I can't kick.

Plus, none of the Summer season shows' premises seemed interesting enough to cram into my busy schedule of eating and napping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Baccano! + Guy Ritchie = why didn't I think of that? Very Happy

Only he'd probably want it to be British. Which wouldn't really work.

Hmm... definitely want to write a review for this week's question, but I'll have a hard time deciding, I'm actually interested in all of the mid-season replacements I've seen (which is why it sucks that only one of them is being streamed).
Starre257

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
I don't get why so many people think certain media are always better than others. That guy who said the source material is always better, and movies are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator must not have seen The Dark Knight.

I love movies, not all of them, but then again, I don't love all anime either, nor do I love all books. Medium, genre, intelligence level, etc. are separate aspects of a work of fiction. Saying "all movies are dumb" is like saying "all comics are about superheroes".
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
The Arab otaku: Great rant there. I don't understand how you can possibly allow a repressive theocracy to exist over there. Why are theocracies allowed to exist in the first place? It's the 21st century--those kinds of governments need to be abolished! The Saudi people really need to take up arms and overthrow their government yesterday, damn it!

That said, yes, they deserve more anime all the same, just as we do. With all that oil money, I could see them shelling out for as much anime as we buy!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
The Arab otaku: Great rant there. I don't understand how you can possibly allow a repressive theocracy to exist over there. Why are theocracies allowed to exist in the first place? It's the 21st century--those kinds of governments need to be abolished! The Saudi people really need to take up arms and overthrow their government yesterday, damn it!

Saudi Arabia isn't a theocracy, it's a monarchy. Its legal system is heavily influenced by Wahhabi interpretations of Islam, in large part because the Saudi kings claim their legitimacy derives from keeping Islam "pure," but it isn't ruled by priests (there aren't any in Islam, though religious scholars have varying degrees of influence in different groups). In fact, the monarchy is often highly criticized by religious leaders in the country for being too secular and only paying lip-service to Islam while living luxuriant lifestyles.

So... yeah, learn your global geography before calling for revolutions "over there." True, monarchies aren't particularly modern either, but you really need to know what you oppose before you oppose it.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Saudi Arabia isn't a theocracy, it's a monarchy. Its legal system is heavily influenced by Wahhabi interpretations of Islam, in large part because the Saudi kings claim their legitimacy derives from keeping Islam "pure," but it isn't ruled by priests (there aren't any in Islam, though religious scholars have varying degrees of influence in different groups). In fact, the monarchy is often highly criticized by religious leaders in the country for being too secular and only paying lip-service to Islam while living luxuriant lifestyles.

So... yeah, learn your global geography before calling for revolutions "over there." True, monarchies aren't particularly modern either, but you really need to know what you oppose before you oppose it.

I meant a theocracy in the sense that their government is based on Muslim law. But, why couldn't they go with a secular, constitutional republic like what we have? What do they think is going to happen?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
But, why couldn't they go with a secular, constitutional republic like what we have?

They'd ask the opposite question to you. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
why couldn't they go with a secular, constitutional republic like what we have?

Assuming you're an American, I highlighted the funny part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote
Lots of interesting stuff in this week's column.

Arab Otaku's letter is really interesting, giving us a small insight into a country most of us don't know much about. Let's hope you get what you want, and not Dubai building a Tokyo Theme Park to produce Japanese-standard animation for the local market!
I don't know what customs laws are like in SA, but importing DVDs from the USA seems the obvious way to go. Your English skills are obviously good enough. Just be sure what the cover art will be before you order.

The guy who only has 30 animes - I guess, if I had to cut my collection down to only "very good" or better, I'd have about that number too! It's just that sometimes it's hard to judge a series until you've lived with it, and sometimes you feel you need a kind of "library" for reference, even for shows that aren't that good.

Movie adaptations - I was really impressed by Dylan-san's suggestion of David Lynch for The Big O (with Kyle McLaughlin as Roger, of course). That is a movie I can really see getting made! Someone sent David a boxset, quick.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Baccano! + Guy Ritchie = why didn't I think of that? Very Happy

Only he'd probably want it to be British. Which wouldn't really work.

Yeah. It sounds like a great idea except for that. Guy Ritchie's work is all so extremely British and while that's part of what I love about it, I don't think it would work for Baccano!. I haven't actually seen it yet so I'm not sure about this, but what about the Coen Brothers instead?

As for adaptations, I'd say Zack Snyder/Hellsing would work. I don't know if he's the most talented director but he certainly knows style and atmosphere. He also did a good job on the Dawn of the Dead remake so he can do zombies which would be a must.

Also, I couldn't ask for anything better than Quinton Terrantino/Cowboy Bebop. Bebop is a tricky one because you'd both want someone extremely talented who can do great character work, stylish action and great old-school music. If anyone fits this description it's Terrantino. Alternatively though, Joss Whedon might work. It doesn't take a genius to see the similarities between Bebop and Firefly. One nice thing about him too is that he's one of the few people who would likely not turn Faye into a one dimensional, air headed forced love interest. This is true of Terrantino as well though. Whedon would probably do a good job on Blood: The Last Vampire as well.

Another one: Legend of the Galactic Heroes by the people behind the new Battlestar Galactica. They're no strangers to character development but perhaps more importantly, I think they would be able to capture the epic yet quiet and serene space battles. Admittedly though, this would have to be either a TV show or a series of movies.

James Cameron/Battle Angel goes without saying. Now if he would just stop teasing us and actually bloody do it. Bubblegum Crisis would be a cool choice as well. Akira too. Really anything action/sci-fi.

I'd also say Wachowski bros/Ghost in the Shell but then, that's almost a little redundant. I think Ridley Scott would do well with it as well. S.A.C. would be well suited to him too.

I'm also going to tentatively throw Peter Jackson/Berserk out there. The man clearly knows how to make big epic fantasy (Lord of the Rings) and he seems to have done some horror earlier in his career (although a lot of it was comedy/horror). I don't know if it would work. (Realistically I can never see a Berserk adaptation working). If it did though it would be excellent. Or alternatively Guillermo del Toro. I never saw Pan's Labyrinth but Hellboy was pretty good and the second one, while a little to fantasy-ish still showed he's got some talent. I think he could definitely do a good dark fantasy/horror.

As for summer anime, I'm not actually watching any of it. I might check out Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. It sounds like it might be good. FMA Brotherhood might be okay too. I personally didn't even like the original that much though. Other than that, there really isn't anything that appeals to me or looks good.
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
s-CRY-ed with Michael Bay

I lol'd. It's so true.
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
Oh Mr.Saudi Otaku. I thought I had it bad. I know that feeling of thinking you have finally found a shop that sells some manga only to find out that all they have is Fruits Basket volume 7. Evil or Very Mad

I wonder if anyone will reply with the new season of Haruhi?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
why couldn't they go with a secular, constitutional republic like what we have?

Assuming you're an American, I highlighted the funny part.

This

Summer anime...does that mean strictly the ones that started this summer? As in, it did not begin broadcast until July? If so, then without a doubt that would be the second season of Spice and Wolf. Although I must admit, I am enjoying Bakemonogatori, it seems too culture specific at times for my tastes. Reminds me of Beck, and well, I'll refrain from ranting off topic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4