• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Leave the moderating to the moderators

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Recently, we've been having a growing problem on the forums of faux-moderating. This includes, but is not limited to, people posting off-topic comments along the lines of, "Your English is awful, please follow the rules, etc, etc," or "You already posted this thread elsewhere. This is going to be locked soon," or my favorite, "I can't wait for Cookie to come back!"

I'd like to remind all of you that even though Cookie has taken a brief leave of absence, there are still moderators remaining on the board. As such, please remember to leave the moderating-- up to the moderators. Just because Cookie is gone does not mean that people need to rise up to fill the role of moderator. In fact, stop it.

You will notice that at the top of every post, there is a row of buttons. One of them has an exclaimation mark. If you see an offending post, click on that button, and a report will be sent to the moderators. We will review the post and decide the proper course of action.

This is the easiest way to solve everything. We get a report, we do whatever is necessary.

It's nice that there are people who want to make the forum a clean place that abides to all the rules, but it is completely unnecessary and oftentimes makes the situation worse. I can't speak for the other mods, but personally, I would much rather deal with a "stupid thread" that's already been posted 5 times already than deal with a whole page full of "hey, you already posted this. Follow the rules! This is going to get locked soon! Harp harp harp." I know you all mean well, but you are making the situation worse. If you want to do your part to help the forum be a better place, please do your best to keep all discussions on topic, thank you. And, if you don't have anything to say that contributes to the conversation, there is no reason to post just to say welcome.

Help us make the forum a better and nicer place, okay? Hand the posts over to us if you think rules were broken, or forum etiquette was breached. Thanks!

-ANN Moderator
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I guess I might be guilty of this. Acctually, I think I am. So sorry. =/

I just realized that button existed (well, not really, but kinda did).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I think alot of the time, people either 1) don't even know about the mod alert button or 2) are so caught up with someone posting something thy shouldn't have and want to point it out immediately and just reply instead of alerting the mods...

of course some people just choose to ignore the posts and hope that it will just die on its own or that the mods will notice it without being alerted...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I know I'm guilty of this and I apologize. The thing is I use the report button quite frequently and because of that I worry that people may think I'm abusing it. Since there's no way to explaine the reason for the reports I usually (but not always) will leave a comment as well. I do believe that the "this topic is already being covered here" posts are worth having since I know from experience that mods can't remember every post out there.

Well, sorry again, I guess maybe I can loosen up a bit.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I've used the button a few times. It works quite nicely.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
The thing is I use the report button quite frequently and because of that I worry that people may think I'm abusing it.

I actually did get reprimanded once for using it. Some new guy was going around pretty much breaking every rule under the sun and I just flagged it where I saw it. Come to find out I ended up warning about twelve posts, and Zac didn't exactly like that too much. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje wrote:
Since there's no way to explaine the reason for the reports I usually (but not always) will leave a comment as well.

Ditto.

Emerje wrote:
Well, sorry again

Ditto again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Not to be rude, but this info wasn't mentioned in the Topmost Sticky (THE RULES - READ THIS FIRST) on the forums (untill Tempest made a post today) or the FAQ. If I had known, I wouldn't have done one particular post in question.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Not to be rude, but this info wasn't mentioned in the Topmost Sticky

That's because we'd expected it to be common sense. That's also why we didn't have a note about spelling or grammar until recently.
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
This has been posted before.
Here and here at the very bottom.

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Not to be rude, but this info wasn't mentioned in the Topmost Sticky (THE RULES - READ THIS FIRST)

The second link goes to the "THE RULES - READ THIS FIRST" thread. Look at the bottom.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote
ZahmiraV wrote:

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Not to be rude, but this info wasn't mentioned in the Topmost Sticky (THE RULES - READ THIS FIRST)

The second link goes to the "THE RULES - READ THIS FIRST" thread. Look at the bottom.

I cannot begin to express the utter dumbfoundness of being refered back to a post that I mention in my previous post.

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Not to be rude, but this info wasn't mentioned in the Topmost Sticky (THE RULES - READ THIS FIRST) on the forums (untill Tempest made a post today) or the FAQ.

Quote:
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:54 pm
Leave the Moderating to the Moderators

Quote:
That's because we'd expected it to be common sense.

Nevermind, i'm not gonna debate that point. I almost got kicked off one message board because I suggested a helpful idea that came up almost like this situation here, and I got accused of being a boardwrecker by the Administrators.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I cannot begin to express the utter dumbfoundness of being refered back to a post that I mention in my previous post.

He referred you to it because it is actually mentioned in the thread. Chris' post is dated 16 Feb, btw, not today.

Quote:
Nevermind, i'm not gonna debate that point. I almost got kicked off one message board because I suggested a helpful idea that came up almost like this situation here, and I got accused of being a boardwrecker by the Administrators.

Hey, if you have a suggestion, go for it. But knock off the cheap shots.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Not to be rude, but this info wasn't mentioned in the Topmost Sticky (THE RULES - READ THIS FIRST) on the forums (untill Tempest made a post today) or the FAQ.

Uh, he made that post on Feb 16th...

Emerje

(edit: Ok, now I'm just being redundent. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:26 am Reply with quote
I will first of all say that I am very sorry. I never meant to offend any of the moderators in any way, shape, or form. I saw that other people were pointing out the rules when misstakes were made, so I thought I was just doing my civil duty.

By the way, thanks for pointing out the report button, if I see something that I do not like I will make sure to use it in the future. Again sorry for annoying you guys Embarassed

~LoneWolf
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
There's no need for anyone to apologize. My intent wasn't to chastize anyone in any way. I simply wanted to remind people of the "report" button, and to make sure that all new posters felt welcome on the boards.

Maybe we can have the report button go to a page with a small box that would let you add your own comments as to why you flagged it. Would that be a good idea?

Keep the suggestions coming in; the goal is to make this a great forum for everyone.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
as has been mentionned by Nagisa & Bamboo, the report feature does have a major shortcoming. The inability to explain why a post is being reported.

Nine times out of ten the reason is evident. But there are still occasionas when we don't know why a post was reported.

I would like to update the report feature with an option to explain why a post was reported, and I'll look into it in the future. This is something that's been on my "to do" list for a while now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2