• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Toole Runnings

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
So, any chance in hell of a Cencoroll series? Can anyone even say?

Why on Earth did I have such a hard time getting a copy of Please Save My Earth vol. 13? Every other volume was fine, but that one was a pain in the neck and I had to pay a little more than I ususally do.

Oh, god, Geobreeders.

Oh, GOD, that Kenshin dub! It totally sounds like...like the anime parody the Homestar Runner people do every now and then.

I have those Captain Power tapes! I loved those!

Re: Drama CDs: "Unyuunymous" released scripts for a series of Rozen Maiden CDs(which did a better job at some things than the awful second season), and somebody's doing one of those minimally animated ones for a series of Kanon CDs.

I rather liked the Ichigo Mashimaro image songs, and I'm glad Geneon put them on the DVDs. I actually kinda apprecaite Miu's character instead of just seeing her as the drivng force behind most of the jokes.

I can't say I care for a lot of the extra trinket crap that used to come with DVDs...what the hell am I supposed to do with an elastic Haruhi headband or another T-shirt? I did get the Kodocha Babbit, and the Ninja Nonsense box came with a little foam rubber Onsokumaru. That was pretty neat.

Last edited by Fronzel on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:44 am; edited 5 times in total
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
Yay! Mike Toole! I love his "Dubs that Time Forgot" stuff. Because that kind of stuff really interests me, especially if its really old anime from the 80s that I want to see now. (I wonder if he's ever seen the Minky Momo movie they dubbed under the title "Gigi and the Fountain of Youth". because I can never seem to find a copy of it).

It's good to hear that he's posting another video of that on ANN because I don't think he's ever been to any recent Texas cons, and I've seen the video online already about 10 times Anime hyper

anyway. really interesting podcast guys :3 can't wait till next week.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Justin's livin' in L.A. now? I thought he was a New Yawka. Too expensive? Anyway, my Meltdown manga loot was Patlabor 1, Tough 1, and Wallflower 7. I was hopin' they still had Tokyo Tribes 1, Baoh 2, The Devil Does Exist 1, and Strain and Sanctuary, but most of those were still on the shelves where you had to pay in full. [Strain and Sanctuary were Out of stock, unfortunately.] I also wanted to get the old editions of Maison Ikkoku to finally finish the series, but I just stopped liking the manga at the half-way point, because the tone totally changed.

BTW, Justin, if you haven't torrented it or seen the FUNi version @ AX yet, Eva 1.0 opens at the Sunset 5 on Friday. [All shows before 6 M-F and the first show on the weekend is a matinee. The parking in the residential areas away from Virgin are prime, but now the meters charge a quarter for 15 minutes. -_-] Oh, and a restored print of Kurosawa's Rashomon plays @ the Nuart on Oct. 2. But these revival theaters are also good. This local con isn't bad, either, but watch what you buy from there. AFIFest '09 has the new Herzog/Cage joint. This place has some good deals on second-run shit, though there's a two-for-one on Hollywood near Vine, if you don't mind hellholes. This place has good deals on second-run indie movies and exclusive Friday midnight re-runs. And if you dug Meltdown at all, I also recommend Golden Apple. And I guess if you want to check out that spin-off of AX, go here.

"I miss NY...and it's killing me"

It's the lack of public transportation and places to hang out which aren't in Pasdadena, right? Wink

As for Manga UK dubs, this is the opening song for the Cobra movie. Wish I still had the tape... Sad

"..reaistic...sports anime...it's...crack"

What about Real? BTW, Inoue has a blog in English.

Speaking of image songs, check out the stuff for Kinnikuman.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
My first experience with voice actor commentary was for Princess Tutu - and that is some great, hilarious commentary (mostly because Luci Christian is so INTO the show!) ... so I thought that VA commentary was awesome. Then I heard it for other shows and realized it's just the voice actors giggling at each other's inside jokes and having no idea what the story is :/

I guess the Baccano! ones that I've heard aren't TOO bad ... but a lot of those actors aren't anime fans, so that's rough.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
I do believe manga is too expensive in this country, as Justin says, that it takes like 30-45 minutes to get through. Ten dollars is really steep for the length of it, even five or 4. In Japan, they can slightly wait and then buy the manga volumes for like 150-300 yen at used bookstores. Even at full cost, it's only like 400-600 yen. That's a hell lot cheaper than what they ask of us. I guess it's because a lot of their population are manga readers.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I do believe manga is too expensive in this country, as Justin says, that it takes like 30-45 minutes to get through. Ten dollars is really steep for the length of it, even five or 4. In Japan, they can slightly wait and then buy the manga volumes for like 150-300 yen at used bookstores. Even at full cost, it's only like 400-600 yen. That's a hell lot cheaper than what they ask of us.

AND they get things like specially colored pages, dust jackets, and hidden comics underneath the dust jackets.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I do believe manga is too expensive in this country, as Justin says, that it takes like 30-45 minutes to get through. Ten dollars is really steep for the length of it, even five or 4. In Japan, they can slightly wait and then buy the manga volumes for like 150-300 yen at used bookstores. Even at full cost, it's only like 400-600 yen. That's a hell lot cheaper than what they ask of us.

AND they get things like specially colored pages, dust jackets, and hidden comics underneath the dust jackets.

And not even to mention buying all of the phonebook sized manga magazines and just tossing them into a recycle bin once you're done. But asking us to pay $13+tax for each volume of Berserk is nuts. I've been able to buy whole anime for that price. And again, you never ever see sales. The best Borders has is like, buy 3 get the 4th free, or something to that effect.

As for special features, the only things that CANNOT be skipped were things like extra animation features, special OVAs, and what not. If those are removed, than yes, the DVD is worth less.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
I miss Mike Toole's video segments. They were informative and hilarious.

I do like getting some extras on my anime DVDs, like behind-the-scenes of the Japanese production or little notes. Voyager Entertainment's Space Battleship Yamato movie releases had all sorts of extras on their discs.

I tend to ignore English dub commentaries, but the FMA movie had some interesting stories during its Japanese commentary track. Apparently Romi Paku sympathizes with Nazi Germany.

Also, yeah, Rurouni Kenshin never really got a great dub, from anyone. Though I did enjoy Steven Blum as Shishio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they talked about classic literature being converted into anime. Smile Which reminds me - I really need to translate A Dog of Flanders and Little Women...
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
I may be the only one, but I really didn't like the Japanese voices for RK either. The Media Blasters dub has a nostalgia factor (since it aired on CN), but it wasn't really that great. Oh, and I'd be willing to bet that the actor that plays Kenshin in the MB dub is the same one from the Sony dub.

As for extra content, I'm firmly in the "I don't care" camp. As it is, I buy anime, watch it once, and then it sits on my shelf for years before I even look at it again. Extra content just takes away space on the disc that could have been used for a higher bitrate, or something of that nature, and it really isn't worth it. There is one exception, for me anyway, and that is creditless op's and ed's. I like to see that animation without the names obscuring half of the picture, and I'm highly disappointed when the creditless versions don't show up on the DVD's. With BR sets finally hitting the market in the US, I hope they throw in those extras if for no other reason than because they can (since space isn't an issue anymore).

Have any of you ever seen the UK dub of Dragonball Z? Maybe it's fake, and someone was goofing on me, but I once saw a clip of DBZ where all the characters were faking British accents (possibly Australian, it's been a few years). It was so awful that I couldn't listen to the entire clip.

(just saw the Galaxy Express 999 BR sets. My wallet self-destructed. If it doesn't reconstruct before the Yu Yu Hakusho BR sets come out, I'll be sans HD YYH come December)
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Oh Zac, you magnificent bastard! Your adaptation idea for "A Separate Piece" had me roaring Anime hyper
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
so about that Cencoroll character. in stead of just bored monster fighters, maybe it'll turn the apathetic main character into a prominent archetype for any series. (or, series with real life, modern day settings at least).

was i just not paying close enough attention, or did you guys not laugh at the twitter questions usernames?
Koji98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
I've never cared for the DVD extras that were usually in anime DVDs. The only ones I ever cared about were "making of" features, like in the Kanon DVDs.

I don't know if this is just me, but I would love to see something on the lines of a 3 episode OVA based on The Stranger.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
at the risk of sounding like a complete noob, what the heck is an image song?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
at the risk of sounding like a complete noob, what the heck is an image song?

Image songs are songs written for/about a particular anime character and sung by that character's seiyuu. Sometimes characters will sing together. They usually come on singles with 3-4 songs to a disc.

About disc extras: the only ones I'm pretty much guaranteed to watch are dub outtakes, even though I don't actually watch the dubs - the alternate dialogue clips for Texnolyze are pretty much all that's keeping me going with that show.

The only series I own where I've actually gone through all of the interviews and stuff on the discs is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, because that actually had some interesting insights into why the world was the way it was and clarified a few things about the technology and the characters. The actor interviews were a bit hit-or-miss, although that depended on who they were talking to.

I will say, though, that the dub crew interview on the SSS disc was painfully awkward to watch. It was like everyone was on their way out the door and then suddenly remembered they were supposed to do a featurette for the DVD, so they just smushed together some footage of various people saying the same things over and over again and plopped it on the disc. It's a shame, too, because I love that dub and I'd have liked to see an honest behind the scenes thing about it.

On the subject of classic literature being turned into anime: I don't know if this counts as 'classic', but I kind of want to see what Mamoru Oshii could do with Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano.

Last edited by hakojo on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5