• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Miracle

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Dragon Buttons? Color me intrigued :3
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
I remember thinking Blassreiter looked really lame when Funimation showed the trailer at Anime Weekend Atlanta...

It really is too bad about Shonen Onmyouji. I wanted so bad to like it, as I'm a big fan of the character designer. Unfortunately...it is REALLY BORING. (As are most onmyouji shows, I've noticed - Tactics being an exception.) And that dub was the worst I've heard since Fantastic Children. Really inexcusable in this day and age.

Miracle Train seemed too formulaic for me to get into, but that description of episode 7 intrigues me. I like it when shows shake things up a little with surrealism.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, pile o' crap week. Heard of two of them, was never interested. The onmyouji thing--never even heard of it, which makes sense. Sounds really bad. Miracle Train... yeah, not, though I too am intrigued by the surrealist mention. Might watch ep 7 just for that.

I'm rarely interested in merchandise, but I do want that Yuuko poster!
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Blassreiter sucks that much? Lol, I saw like two episodes and wanted to see more. Maybe I should view more on Funi's video channel before I decide to buy.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
How can you be so harsh against Blassreiter? I watched the whole show on YouTube when it premiered last year and it was great! Are we even watching the same show?
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
I too watched Blassreiter last year as it was streaming and found it to be a mixed bag. I suppose it does a decent enough job in setting the groundwork for the stronger and more interesting second half though. Some episodes, particularly in the latter part of the series were really good, while some episodes felt pointless and boring. Perhaps more than any other series I've watched in the last year, few have felt this inconsistent and very up and down. Ultimately though, the second half of the series won me over and I'm glad I stuck through it.

Gonzo's production is at times a marvel. I also found several themes in the soundtrack very fitting and even special.

Personally, I wish I waited for it to be licensed before viewing it. A good dub would have made the experience more rewarding in my case (since I prefer dubs).

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Where did she get that Kyozo portrait? Its frickin' awesome! Me wants!!
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/review/blassreiter/dvd-part-1

Roflmao?

Somehow, I don't think it's too great for the consumer to have two completely different/opposite/black&white reviews on the same site; a professional venue at that. =_=;;

Not trying to sound like a prick....but I honestly can't base a purchase decision regarding that DVD set based on what's here. Something really needs to be done with the recent review static storms that have been cropping up around here...
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Shonen Onmyouji was one of those Odex dubs Geneon tried to pass around (along with Karin's). And some people wonder why Nozmoi doesn't add the Animax dubs of their shows on their DVDs Rolling Eyes
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks for reviewing these, I was wondering if these were worth buying, now I know to save my money.
As for manga with unexpected topics, one of my favorites is LaLa Sparkle Nagi Hurricane. It's a shojo sports tournament manga about supernaturally powered lesbian volleyball players. My favorite part is the battle againsst the Chinese Team, and they cover the Chinese players in natto.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
Shonen Onmyouji always looked intriguing to me. I'll still probably check it out, but I'll wait for the collection to hit the bargain bin (or otherwise cheap sale). Unfortunately, my love of everything Geneon is pretty much unabashed--I haven't seen everything (yet), but the only Geneon series I feel like I've genuinely wasted my time with (so far) is Bottle Fairy. At least that was only two DVDs long.

As far as Blassreiter is concerned, I've heard nothing good about it. Still, the description of that opening episode is hilarious, so when the series hits the cheapo scene (and it will), I'll pounce on it, too. I've enjoyed poorly rated series before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Shonen Onmyouji was one of those Odex dubs Geneon tried to pass around (along with Karin's). And some people wonder why Nozmoi doesn't add the Animax dubs of their shows on their DVDs Rolling Eyes

What the hell was Geneon thinking getting Odex to dub Shonen Onmyouji and Karin instead of using Ocean, Blue Water, Animaze, NYAV Post, Bang Zoom!, Headline Sound Studios, or any of the other studios we know and love? No wonder I just couldn't watch Karin after the first episode. And that's saying something, considering that I prefer dubs over subs.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
Odex was a much cheaper choice. If you'll remember, SO and Karin were both halfway released when Geneon ceased and desisted.

It's funny now that I think about it. Both of those titles had very basic menus with no music. I actually wondered if it was a sign of bad times, but didn't connect the dots until now.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Shounen Onmyouji was a pretty enjoyable show in my opinion. The Odex dub certainly was pretty pathetic and the official subs weren't that much better. Normally I'm one to side with the official releases, but for this series the fansub group I followed (I think it was Shinsen...) had a bunch of information about all the chants and a bit of historical details that I found really enhanced the series.

Even if it has paint-by-numbers aspects to its shounen nature, you make it sound like a bad thing. Now I get tired of these cliches too, but I didn't find that these really detracted from the series in any way.

That's as much as I'm gonna say about that; now how about Bartender? I can't tell if you liked it or if you're bashing it. I don't even get why you're bringing up the CG glasses when I could barely remember a detail as small as that; it wasn't even that bad, I mean do people really care how drinks and cups are animated? The art (I want to say animation but there isn't much movement, is there?) besides that was utterly fantastic and the series itself was impeccably charming like quite a few restaurant-themed anime tend to be. I don't know, I guess I just have an issue with you comparing this show I loved to something so eye-glazing and trite as Miracle Train.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

I've only seen the Animax dub of Shonen Onmyuoji. Not too bad, but the show itself isn't very interesting, which is why I've never seen it all the way through despite numerous reruns. Never heard any Odex dubs to the best of my knowledge so I don't know how well they stack up to the Omni Productions dubs for Animax.

Rather liked their Gurren Lagann dub, despite obviously only having a handful of voice-actors. Andrea Kwan as Nia and Messenger Nia helped (she played Sakura Kinomoto and Motoko Kusanagi in Animax's dubs), though she did play three other characters as well. Would've been nice if Hynden Walch was able to stay on for the U.S. dub (which I haven't seen yet) after the time-skip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5