• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009's Top-Selling Manga in Japan, by Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first time ANN has created a complete list of top selling manga for the year or have there been other articles like this in the past?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Yahoo!

I'm happy about Naruto, Bleach, FMA and Hitman Reborn. I'm actually surprsed about Reborn, I didn't know it was popular.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Number of One Piece copies sold:

Number of Naruto copies sold:

Number of Bleach copies sold:

Total number of copies sold for Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, Mei-chan no Shitsuji, Fairy Tail, 20th Century Boys, and Saint Young Men combined:

That's scary. One Piece easily outsold Bleach and Naruto combined, and almost outsold the sixth through tenth Manga combined.

I've been watching Bleach, but maybe I should be reading One Piece?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
That just means we can expect another 10 years of One Piece. Perhaps One Piece won't end until the author dies. I don't mind if it takes 10 years more, I just want an ending.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I've been watching Bleach, but maybe I should be reading One Piece?

yes, there is a reason this series is so popular. It is actually really good Very Happy

One Piece is supposed to end in more or less 5 years according to Oda.
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Oda didn't say that. He said he planned the whole One Piece story to finish within 5 years when it started, but it obviously didn't work out that way. Some websites translated his sentence wrong.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
In any case I guess I better start with the One Piece manga straight away there must be a reason it totally outranks all these other great manga
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Awesome to see One Piece, FMA, Gintama, and 20th Century Boys on this list.

And yes, One Piece is just that awesome.
Taker128

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
One piece is the type of series that the further you read into the series, the more you come out impressed with Oda's storytelling ability and the stracture of his story, both are rare traits for Shonen Mangaka.

Most shonen mangaka either fell into endless loop like DB toward its ending; Story stracture gets too grand and cause the series to start crumple [Air Gear], or the series has lossed its original charm [Naruto].

Personally I consider Oda to be Rumiko Takahashi and Mitsuru Adachi on drugs, or even better, the combination of Naoki Urasawa and Akira Toriyama.

There are many great "Shonen" mangaka that excells in certain area like Kazuhiro Fujita's Karakuri Circus [story], Hirohiko Araki's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [stracture], or Jōji Morikawa's Hajime no Ippo[hot-blood]. But none of them are able to put everything together the way Oda did. Closest I've seen would be Yoshihiro Togashi with YuYu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter, but I personally think OP was better then both series. There's something there for everyone in OP.

Not to mention you can actually see the improvement of his art as the series go by. The only other series I can remeber where the mangaka's art improve this much was Kōsuke Fujishima' Ah My Goddess.
normanbates

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
I can easily name over 9000 very popular yet very rubbish mangaz/animez/moviez/etc.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
I thought Takehiko Inoue's Slam Dunk got a great improvement in art as the volumes went by. His current work in Vagabond really shows that I still need to read JoJo and I might check out Ippo, but the chapter count scares me on both series'.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That just means we can expect another 10 years of One Piece. Perhaps One Piece won't end until the author dies. I don't mind if it takes 10 years more, I just want an ending.
Ah My Goddess has been running for over 20 years now. and there are a few, not listed as well, that have been running for even longer.
smokes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
heh, as expected form OnePiece.. i'd read 1000 chapters more now...

btw is that Reborn that good ? o_O
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:44 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Is this the first time ANN has created a complete list of top selling manga for the year or have there been other articles like this in the past?
Oricon releases the list annually. I know ANN translated it last year too but check the search for before that. It almost always appears in December.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
egoist wrote:
Ah My Goddess has been running for over 20 years now. and there are a few, not listed as well, that have been running for even longer.

The longerst continuing manga is Golgo 13 which has been going on since 1969, and Kochi Kame has the largest volume count with more than 150.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2