• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Marvel Bishojo Black Widow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, after announcing figures of X-Men's Rogue and the Avengers’ Scarlet Widow, Koto's Marvel Bishoujo line seems to be… well, over.

I think you mean Scarlet Witch. Smile

Glad I'm not the only one to think her ass is huge. Guess it makes her boobs look slightly more in proportion though. Laughing I think a Storm statue in this line would be awesome.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Very nice to see one of these east meets west figures reviewed. I must concur that DC's attempt with their AmeComi figures are a total abomination. Only a handful of the multiple lines of figures look anywhere near decent. The majority are designed by Udon studios, some okay some awful. A couple by other random artists. Like this one of Wonder Girl which looks more like stripper Nancy from Sin City dressed up as Wonder Woman.

There are a couple of nice ones by Dustin Nguyen, who has does the wonderful Paul Dini scripted Batman books of late. His Donna Troy redesign actually is pretty damn good and could be a decent new costume for the character who has never had that great of a costume. Of course, none of these artists are Japanese like Marvel's line.

Seems to DC all Asians can be Japanese enough for them. Not a knock to these other Asian ethnicity. There are a number of South East Asian and South East Asian American artists I like, such as Nguyen there. It really pissed me off when these artists are lumped in as Japanese or 'manga style'. That's like assuming Feta cheese is French instead of Greek because France is known for and has a big market for cheese. And actually the Bulgarians have a pretty good Feta too. Of course that's if you know your imported cheese. Most people don't know or care about cheese or manga art enough and are sadly happy to just lump things together as one import style.

Now while none of these Marvel Bishojo figures quite piqued my interest enough thus far, I do think they're well done as pointed out here. Hoping they finally release a character I'm more interested in spending that much on, namely Elektra.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
UltimateSpaceLion wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, after announcing figures of X-Men's Rogue and the Avengers’ Scarlet Widow, Koto's Marvel Bishoujo line seems to be… well, over.

I think you mean Scarlet Witch. Smile

Glad I'm not the only one to think her ass is huge. Guess it makes her boobs look slightly more in proportion though. Laughing I think a Storm statue in this line would be awesome.

Granted she has junk in her trunk but a lot of the Marvel heroines do. I mean in the comic and on paper. The majority all seem to have gotten a little "sistah" in them in the past few years with re-designs. And maybe it's just me but I'd rather have the slightly dis-proportionate ghetto booty over the ridiculously dis-proportionate fake breasts. Just my opinion. I have to say though as fan of Marvel comics (old Marvel comics) it's nice to see a line of figures trying to be accurate. I for one am glad to see that for once over the wild interpretations of figures produced. Sad that they might not be selling as well. I haven't seen the Scarlet Witch figure but I have the Rogue (and now Black Widow) figure saved in a wishlist for future purchase. Here's what the Rogue one looks like...Rogue

I would also add that beyond the female figures if one wanted another good Marvel figure from Kotobukiya check out this Venom
figure.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Granted she has junk in her trunk but a lot of the Marvel heroines do. I mean in the comic and on paper. The majority all seem to have gotten a little "sistah" in them in the past few years with re-designs. And maybe it's just me but I'd rather have the slightly dis-proportionate ghetto booty over the ridiculously dis-proportionate fake breasts.

Here, here. Add one more vote for approving of junk in the trunk. And Krauser certainly approves; who are we to tell him he's wrong?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Her eyes don't really look anime style.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, I'm really attracted to her face and hair. It looks like a really gorgeous sculpt on it. Although, I'll admit that my first reaction to the first picture WAS "Look at the size of her butt!"
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
This was in stock at one of the local shops. Not sure if it's still there. Looks a lot more appealing than the DC Ame-Comi line. For DC I mostly have the New Frontier figures.

BTW, the designer is Shunya Yamashita. I got the Sega Prize DOA Kasumi he did, though it looks more like a Shunya Yamashita girl cosplaying as Kasumi.
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Very nice to see one of these east meets west figures reviewed. I must concur that DC's attempt with their AmeComi figures are a total abomination. Only a handful of the multiple lines of figures look anywhere near decent. The majority are designed by Udon studios, some okay some awful. A couple by other random artists. Like this one of Wonder Girl which looks more like stripper Nancy from Sin City dressed up as Wonder Woman.

There are a couple of nice ones by Dustin Nguyen, who has does the wonderful Paul Dini scripted Batman books of late. His Donna Troy redesign actually is pretty damn good and could be a decent new costume for the character who has never had that great of a costume. Of course, none of these artists are Japanese like Marvel's line.

Seems to DC all Asians can be Japanese enough for them. Not a knock to these other Asian ethnicity. There are a number of South East Asian and South East Asian American artists I like, such as Nguyen there. It really pissed me off when these artists are lumped in as Japanese or 'manga style'. That's like assuming Feta cheese is French instead of Greek because France is known for and has a big market for cheese. And actually the Bulgarians have a pretty good Feta too. Of course that's if you know your imported cheese. Most people don't know or care about cheese or manga art enough and are sadly happy to just lump things together as one import style.

Now while none of these Marvel Bishojo figures quite piqued my interest enough thus far, I do think they're well done as pointed out here. Hoping they finally release a character I'm more interested in spending that much on, namely Elektra.

The Paitoon Ratan designed Ame-Comi figures are probably the best of the bunch (they've also done some very nice DC themed Corgi toys too).
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
I must say this figure reminds me of Julia from Cowboy Bebop. There was a large PVC Julia figure that was released by Yamato that had a similar booty. The belt was different, but there are artbook pictures of Julia with a belt similar to Black Widow's....
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks that calling the Black Widow a "bishôjo" is quite wrong? No matter how many retcons they'd do, Natasha Romanoff is not a teenager.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that calling the Black Widow a "bishôjo" is quite wrong? No matter how many retcons they'd do, Natasha Romanoff is not a teenager.

What would the right term be, though? Bijin? Or does that suggest women in kimonos?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Bishōjo aren't limited to being teenagers. In fact, it generally refers to women in their 20s, or late teens.

-t
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Aizen-chan wrote:
I must say this figure reminds me of Julia from Cowboy Bebop. There was a large PVC Julia figure that was released by Yamato that had a similar booty. The belt was different, but there are artbook pictures of Julia with a belt similar to Black Widow's....

I thought the exact same thing! Shocked She totally looks like Julia. Wink
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Aizen-chan wrote:

I thought the exact same thing! Shocked She totally looks like Julia. Wink

Really? *squints* She looks more like Fujiko from Lupin III to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generator_Gawl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The line is continuing after the Scarlett Witch statue. They have already announced Psylocke and Phoenix statues for later in the year. Pictures of the Psylocke statue have already begun to circulate online.

Kotobukiya has made some great Marvel statues. I picked up their Iron Man statue, based on the movie's armor design and it's a fantastic collectible piece. The Rogue statue in the Bishoujo line is also very nice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2