• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Heaven and Earth Anime Green-Lit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the main crew returning, especially angela. Now I wonder who is the director
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The official website for the Starchild musical group Angela has already announced last month that the group will perform the theme song for this project.

havnt seen passed ep 1 on farner..but this quote=win . never hurts to have more angela
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
And it looks like the couple will be re-united. Laughing
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather have the composer and the Warsaw Philharmonic orchestra back. I liked "Shangri-La," but the orchestral music was amazing, even if it's kind of rigid and can't be altered much to fit the scenes. Honestly, picking up the 2 Fafner soundtracks off Right Stuf for 10 bucks plus shipping in one of the best musical purchases I've ever made. I'd hate to say the series is secondary to that, because I liked it even if it's kind of forgettable, but, yeah, if they have to cut out the orchestra due to budget cut backs, I'll be a sad panda.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Fafner was an okay anime. I hardly think it warrants a sequel, and it left off with a better ending than most.

I think they are just riding the coat tails of the Eva movies and trying to cash in since everyone is thinking about that kind of show right now. In other words, if the Eva movies hadn't have come out and been a success, then I doubt that this would have been green lit.

And before any Eva fancadets blow a lid, NO, I am not saying that Fafner is a carbon copy of Eva. They are different, but they are also very related when dealing with the type of story telling and the setting through which it is told.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
endless-abyss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably pass on this one since the prequel didn't grab my attention. Then again, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at it.

Last edited by endless-abyss on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this! I have all the DVDs to the first season so hopefully the second season gets licensed so I'll have the complete collection.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Just a question, when will they say that they are re opening the Air Gear project and making a sequal. I mean I've already seen project from 2003-2006 airing time to re-open this year and release sequals to their shows.

Haven't seen the firs one yet. Although I've been meaning to watch it. Hope it does well so that it can be licensed here as well (this second season)
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
According to a Japanese listing site, Heaven and Earth will be a movie adaptation, not a TV series. And is scheduled for 2010 theatrical release.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...the first thing I thought when I read this was "Was Fafner really popular enough to warrant any follow-ups (be they series, OAV, or movie)?" Even having seen the series, it didn't strike me as something hugely memorable - more of a pastiche of other philosophical mecha series - RahXephon comes to mind in some aspects.

Henry Jones wrote:
I'd much rather have the composer and the Warsaw Philharmonic orchestra back.

I totally agree, Henry. The soundtrack was perhaps the most standout element of the series. Composer Tsuneyoshi Saito has done some good work on stuff like Tide Line Blue and the xxxHolic movie, but I don't think any of his works have had a big-time exposure yet. One day, he'll get paired up with a series that really takes off, and then fans will recognize his considerable composing talent. The piano in "Shoko's Theme" is really moving - I always do think of that scene in the show when I hear it.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
According to a Japanese listing site, Heaven and Earth will be a movie adaptation, not a TV series. And is scheduled for 2010 theatrical release.

I would rather a new TV series. A movie would...be too short.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:

I was wondering about that, so thank you.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
Really? Fafner? A sequel? Yeah, so it's a movie, but still, that doesn't make a lot of sense. It just doesn't seem like it was THAT popular of a series. It seems it got most of it's steam because it had character designs by the same guy who made the gay looking characters of Gundam Seed. Really, I hate those character designs. The women look like they should be beaten, and the men look like women. It's disgusting.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Okay. I really have no clue how popular Fafner was, but I'd say that it's one of - if not the - worst mecha show that I've ever seen. It totally felt like it was an attempt to make another Evangelion. I found very little interesting about it, and I don't recall particularly liking the characters. It certainly wasn't particularly original. I'm sure that there are folks out there who loved it, but I wouldn't have thought that it would have been good enough to merit more being made. I thought that it was just plain bad.

Now, the music was good. I'll give you that. But generally speaking, when the music is the best part of a show, that's not a good sign.
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Really? Fafner? A sequel? Yeah, so it's a movie, but still, that doesn't make a lot of sense. It just doesn't seem like it was THAT popular of a series. It seems it got most of it's steam because it had character designs by the same guy who made the gay looking characters of Gundam Seed. Really, I hate those character designs. The women look like they should be beaten, and the men look like women. It's disgusting.

Women look like they should be beaten??

You sound like a violent and ignorant 12 year old who needs to be taught a lesson. Please grow up.

And for those who were wondering why it has a sequel. It is because it was POPULAR in Japan. DVD sales sold over 7,000 copies per copy. That is popular and most series that get around those sales have a higher chance of getting a sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1