• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, January 3-9

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
So out of 5 volumes being released this month One Piece get's a whopping total of one volume and was beaten by Soul Eater which was released nearly 3 months ago.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
So out of 5 volumes being released this month One Piece get's a whopping total of one volume and was beaten by Soul Eater which was released nearly 3 months ago.
I wasn't expecting One Piece to take off the first month of the speed up. Only half the series has been localized in USA and that is a pretty good sign of how many people were buying the manga.

How the hell did Yugioh GX get to the top!? I am admittedly a Yugioh fan, but I would never touch GX. Its Duel Monsters or 5D's for me. GX is like poison.
Metal Superman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
I had no idea Maximum Ride was made into a graphic novel. I've never read the books myself, but my niece and nephew are avid fans of the [book] series. I'll have to let them know about it.
Spaceman-Spiff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

This is best seller list of January 3-9.

The new batch of One Piece were released on Jan 5. I don't think a lot of people check/buy manga volume releases every week. We'll probably see more sales figures in the coming weeks.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Good to see One Piece on the list. Hope it keeps a steady spot/improves in the future.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Spaceman-Spiff wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

This is best seller list of January 3-9.

The new batch of One Piece were released on Jan 5. I don't think a lot of people check/buy manga volume releases every week. We'll probably see more sales figures in the coming weeks.

You do realize that 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28 were all released right? You do realized that by this logic 24 should have been ranked and not 25 right? When Viz did the same campaign for Naruto last year all three volumes were ranked
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

And the fact that new release like Yu Gi Oh GX is the best selling title
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh GX? Seriously...?

Anyway, great news for Vampire Knight (once again, two volumes made the list... but what's with volume 7's sudden comeback?) and Maximum Ride, but bad news for One Piece.

It's great that it made the list, but it should definitely have done better. Most of the titles that beat it were released eons ago (Vampire Knight 7 was released back in August, Maximum Ride 1 last January)
game

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
YAY yugioh gx is awesome haters go away
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Very much a surprise to see Yu-Gi-Oh! GX being #1. I do admit, I was angry that they decided to stop serializing GX in the SJ magazine and go straight to graphic novel (not as angry as I am with Tegami Bachi, but I digress...), but still, seeing that it's relatively popular without it being in the magazine is a nice sign.

But one volume of One Piece on the list? Hopefully that will pick up. Although I'm not a huge fan of the OP manga (really, my only favorite part has been the Alabasta saga), I know it's a very popular title and fans have been waiting for a release similar to how Viz released Naruto over the past couple of years.
Mysticfruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll bet my entire yugi deck that the only reason GX is at the top is because of the promo card that comes with it.
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Zero
Mysticfruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll bet the only reason it's at the top is because of the promo card that comes with it. Why not? It's ****ing great.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater Vol. 1 has a bunch of adolescent boys being paired up with insanely hot women. Also boobies.

It was going to sell like hot cakes.
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Really hate it too that OP is on #10...hopefully it will go up. Do remember also people V25, I think, came out last week. Its always a Vol a week, but I really wanted to see 23-24 on it too

Anyway, do these sell in the hundred of thousands anyway? How much copies do they make? At least they actually do good because of libraries, which also seem to buy them all the times, some more then others...
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Well at least the GX manga is better than the anime, not that that's much of an achievement...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2