• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Writer Discusses Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, the ideal product would certainly combine lots of action with lots of atmosphere (and a fleshed out worldview, of course); whether or not that can be achieved, we'll see...

Anyway, Spielberg, if you really get this out and Halo, I'm going to be a happy camper.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the current screenwriter for Dreamworks and Steven Spielberg's planned live-action adaptation of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell cyber-police manga.

i thought it was gonna be cgi
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
So are we going to get nice moments of dialogue that make us think or would that be too much because they think people are stupid and don't want to think?
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Oshii's way of spacing the thoughtful stuff around rather than the dump-everything-at-once or so-technical-it's-alienating method of the manga.

The best way to approach it would be like Stand Alone Complex did.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's still a technical paper on gestalt consciousnesses with some pretty illustrations, I'll be happy.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like the manga, Kalogridis said the upcoming movie will have "a lot of action … lots of action."

One should hope, for the sake of the current fanbase, that those producing this will be wary of the fact that the action sequences were not the primary reason for this franchise to have become as endearing as it has. Action needs to be included to set the scene and unravel the mystery, but contemplative screenplay — for want of a better phrase — will be requisite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kylemakk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
The best way to approach it would be like Stand Alone Complex did.

Agreed. Cool
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Can we get a pronunciation key in the article for that woman's name? Confused

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that the movie will work out good and become just as awesome as the anime movies and the anime tv series.

Twisted Evil Razz Twisted Evil
hakojo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
As I've said before, there's just no way they can sell Ghost in the Shell as it was originally written to the general American movie-going public. Either it's going to do horribly or they're going to knock out the thinking parts and boob and violence it up.

I'm betting on the latter.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem with a Hollywood GITS movie is that the concept is about the near-future, not the distant future, and thus it's tough to imagine any major break-throughs or trends right now the way Shirow did. Plus, there's a part of me which is worried it'll wind up looking like Surrogates...
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
As I've said before, there's just no way they can sell Ghost in the Shell as it was originally written to the general American movie-going public. Either it's going to do horribly or they're going to knock out the thinking parts and boob and violence it up.

I'm betting on the latter.

On the one hand I'm excited about the mainstream exposure and publicity for Anime in the US. It could be quite the shot in the arm for media sales and fan base expansion.

This of course all depends on how well it does at the Box Office, which leads to the other problem: Hollywood.

GitS is both deep and cerebral as well as being boobtastic and violent, I worry about the hatchet job Hollywood's going to do it, i.e. dumbing it WAY down from a deep cyberpunk drama to shallow as a puddle Hollywood port (and bank on their being 3D - Thank you James Cameron... idiot). "Lots of action" only reinforces these fears.

What's more, if this is to be live action, how bad is the casting gonna suck? I'm betting horrible (think Shia Lebouf and Miley Cyrus, or something equally offensive). You know they aren't gonna cast any native Japanese actors, and Hollywood has none (with mainstream appeal). It's gonna be another hatchet job, like Keanu Reeves wanting to play Spike Speigel (which makes me die inside).

So I'm hopeful, and VERY sad.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD -BANK ON ANOTHER HOLLYWOOD HATCHET JOB.

Last edited by CareyGrant on Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
p3rseus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't dumb down the story to cater to more people. Overall I want a good piece of entertainment that delivers on the quality of the original source material and still manages to look current. Atmosphere is very important in GITS so it's nice to see they're focusing on that. If they can't get this one right, I doubt they could get any other anime/manga right in Hollywood. We'll see.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
This could turn the rabid fans into some sort of lollipop waitresses, or perhaps into carnivore bunnies. Either way, both are very dangerous, and the government advises me to stay away from them. Either way, I'm glad about the movie, and I also hope it turns out well, but if it doesn't, that's fine too.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, the first Matrix was successful enough commercially while retaining heavy cyberpunk philosophy it probably grabbed from Ghost in the Shell. Mainstream moviegoers probably looked past it but those who were interested noticed. GitS just needs to figure out how to get that balance.

For what it's worth, the right people seem to be involved in this - people who care enough about the original property and have enough power in Hollywood.

Also, you guys might want to kill me for saying this, but I actually think Ghost in the Shell could survive the transfer to a Westernized (even slightly) setting. There, I said it.

The main appeal of Ghost in the Shell isn't the fact that it takes place in The Far East at all. The actual city the stories are set in is rarely even mentioned. I'll be satisfied if they can just make a good cyberpunk cop story period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5