• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ninja Science

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
I would make a stupid joke about The Last Story's title, but considering that Sakaguchi has more rights to FF's name than Square does I really don't mind. I'll still giggle like a schoolgirl over that delicious zinger he gave about FFXII.

Not sure what to think of Xenoblade since Xenosaga was like an anemic, misguided version of Xenogears with a completely unlikeable protagonist. Maybe they'll bounce back with this.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I would make a stupid joke about The Last Story's title, but considering that Sakaguchi has more rights to FF's name than Square does I really don't mind. I'll still giggle like a schoolgirl over that delicious zinger he gave about FFXII.

The irony in the title "The Last Story" was that Final Fantasy was named as such because Sakaguchi intended his final game to be a fantasy game before his studio was to go bankrupt (at the time). Little did he know it would become a megahit and spawn a whole franchise. The title "The Last Story" really makes wonder what he's thinking.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
Woot for the mention of Planescape: Torment! Razz

I only started playing that game for the first time recently, and it's owned my soul for the last three weeks straight.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
I think Xenoblade would sell better on title alone then Monado in the US. Even if it has nothing to do with the two previous Xeno titles. Not sure why they would only change the name in Japan.

Also, thanks for mentioning Metal Warriors, I had played it a long time ago but could never remember the title. I could never find it when I tried to look it up, I wouldn't be surprised if I kept finding those Assault Suit games you mentioned. It was a great game, loved the fact that you could switch suits by hopping out of one and jacking another.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not much has changed beyond the Japanese title; in fact, it'll still be called Monado in the West.

That's pretty weird. I would think if anything it would be the other way around. Xenoblade would seem a lot more appealing to the west since it sounds kind of cool and has the word blade in it where as something like Monado would be completely meaningless. Go figure.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Monando was just a temporary name back in E3, so it'll be most likely be called Xenoblade outside Japan as well. Besides, just having "Xeno" in the title sells.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In fact, I'd say that the Super NES was the last Nintendo system with a strong RPG presence.

The DS is alright, but yeah, Nintendo really hated [American] RPG gamers until Pokemon came along.

Quote:
with the upcoming Dragon Quest X,

By "upcoming", you mean it'll be out in five years this time, instead of the usual 10? Wink
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Xenoblade would seem a lot more appealing to the west since it sounds kind of cool and has the word blade in it ...
sfried wrote:
Besides, just having "Xeno" in the title sells.

I think you're both right. Combining the word Xeno, which is known for both Xenogears (YAY) and Xenosaga (yay?) with "blade" would definitely pique some interest in the title, if not create a mass of blind buys.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
Star Ocean 4 wasn't too hot overall(Though it's not without it's charms), but I think NOT having to listen to Lymle's **** awful dub voice for the PS3 version is far more of a selling point than "anime portraits". The lack of disc swapping back and forth is nice too. I MIGHT give it another try when the price goes down a bit.

Last Story and Xenoblade are both on my to buy list as well, as I loved Xenosaga(The last RPG series I can recall that tried to do a story that was both different from the norm and actually credited it's players with a modicum of intelligence).

Also, while I still don't get why games like Bioshock 2 are appearing on this column, I have to say I'm a bit miffed that Data East collection isn't out on PSP as well as Wii. That SNK collection that came out on Wii and PSP last year was far better suited to handheld play in my opinion, and this sounds like pretty much the same thing.
redcar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Good to see Metal Warriors mentioned! It really is underappreciated. Even now it's a cool game, and the versus is incredibly awesome...a Virtual Console release would be amazing.
DrakeWants2Speak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Jeez, I want a PS3 Crying or Very sad
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
DrakeWants2Speak wrote:
Jeez, I want a PS3 Crying or Very sad

??
But I looked it up, and DISGAEA INFINITE will be on the PSP. What more could you want?
domino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This article brought back good memories of playing Metal Warriors all night with friends. That game had the best 2-player mode of that console generation. Makes me want to go pick up a copy again...

Back then the only place that I could find it was the local Blockbuster, so I was renting it over and over because I couldn't find anywhere to buy it. Virtual Console release, please! :\
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Last Story: I must admit, this has me curious about what sort of game it'll be. Of course, while this is in development, they already released the next Blue Dragon game in Japan. Guess they plan to stretch that franchise as far as they can too.

Xenoblade: Does anyone else think the screenshot there makes you imagine giant robot battles of some kind, which have been a staple of the Xeno universe?

TvC: I have to admit, I'm impressed they decided to include three characters from different Rockman titles if only to show Capcom's love for their robot-centric series. And despite Classic and X's popularity among fans, Trigger has gained a startling amount of fan support. As for the game itself, it's over the top and zany, but what do you expect when you cross over this many universes?

LH International: I suppose people will get this because the English acting was so average and the in-battle portraits were replaced with those crummy CG ones in the 360 version. They'd have been better keeping the whole game anime-style like SO3 so that all this fuss could have been avoided.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
Also, while I still don't get why games like Bioshock 2 are appearing on this column, I have to say I'm a bit miffed that Data East collection isn't out on PSP as well as Wii. That SNK collection that came out on Wii and PSP last year was far better suited to handheld play in my opinion, and this sounds like pretty much the same thing.
I thought the Data East Collection was also ount on Wii? Most compilations nowdays come to that platform.

Man, I'm having quite a time with Tatsunoko vs.Capcom.

Last edited by sfried on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3