• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Couple Arrested for Swindling Eva Phones off Auction

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I wish we had a phone like this here. Still, quite weird to see someone doing something like that and getting arrested. lol
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
...I want one of those. And normally I don't care about cell phones. Man, they're purdy.
Anyway, can't say I've got much sympathy for those two. People who go out of their way to con others simply for money are scum, plain and simple.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
They received them. They did NOT pay for them. They got caught for it. Good Smile

For that amount on eBay I think ANY sellers could imagine what it's like to trust in sending an item without getting paid. Especially the money they were out from the original purchause.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Did they literally just take the packages from the carrier, and refuse to pay for them? How could they think getting away with that was a possibility?
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know payment-on-delivery still existed.
SeiyuuOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
They did (not) pay in advance 2.22
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Lol, they should of expected they would be cought, those cells were expensive. I which a cellphone company did that over here in NA.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Nom_Anor wrote:
I didn't know payment-on-delivery still existed.

Though it seems to have died out here it is still common in Japan. Some webshops are COD only and even Amazon.co.jp offers COD for orders up to 1,000,000 yen.

If I was selling something that valuable I'd require advanced payment. I still feel bad for the seller though. Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
There should be an option to pay a % in advance and the rest on delivery, so at least you know both sides are serious about the deal.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
1000 bucks for a phone who in there right mind would pay for that and more online
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
For $1,000 per phone, I wouldn't pay either!

Except in my case, I wouldn't have made the bid for them in the first place. Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
Surely at least some blame lies with the courier for not collecting payment also?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
Last year, a Japanese friend of mine sold me a video camera and lens. We determined the amount he wanted for it, and he said, "I will mail it to you first, and then you can pay once you receive it and make sure everything is in order." And I was like, "Um... really? Is that really okay?" And he said, "Yes, it's the Japanese way." It made me feel a little better, and I appreciated it, but I was still like, "Wow... what keeps people from completely ripping you off?" Good thing I'm a friend and not a complete stranger. Because, honestly, I can hardly trust my own friends to be that honest! Feels good to be trusted, though.

I guess that's just their society, though. But I wonder how easy it would be if, say, the person actually DID pay for the product they were bidding on, and then the auctioneer turns around and says, "He totally didn't pay me!" I wonder if that ever happens?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
If I was selling something that valuable I'd require advanced payment. I still feel bad for the seller though. Sad

You still wouldn't be protected, especially if you used Paypal as your transaction service.

I'm not sure if Japan protects sellers in this regard, but here in the states, it's incredible to see the number of charge backs being done on legitimate sellers, who have no recourse against such blatant tactics.

These sellers were incredibly lucky to either get their money or, at the very least, got the phones back to try and sell them again.

Had this been done in the states, the sellers would have lost out.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I work with a guy who sold his large collection of Elvis vinyl records via e-bay to a guy in Wales, but he forgot to ship it recorded delivery. Money changed hands via PayPal, but few days later the Welsh geezer contacts him asking where his records are as they "hadn't arrived yet." Geezer gets e-bay to refund his money saying "shipment must have got lost, or stolen." But my work colleague smelled a rat and kept an eye on geezer's own sellers pages and sure enough a few months later he was selling the collection on his site at more than what he bought them for. Colleague contacted the local police in Wales where the geezer lived and told them what had happened and they contacted him a few days later saying they arrested the geezer on fraud and selling stolen contrabane on the internet charges. Apparently he was on their radar anyway for doing that with burgled goods he and his mate had been blagging. Colleague got his money and his records back and a letter of thanks from the Welsh constabulary. Geezer, and his mate, is looking at some serious porridge in a Cardiff prison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2