• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter From The Encyclopedist [2010-03-02]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, that is quite the error collection. You would think / hope that the original contributor of the error in question could have originally provided the necessary backup to prove the error and its correction and have submitted that to you to try to make your job a little easier. In other words, don't just say it's wrong, put explain how you are aware of the error and how you can prove the correction should be made. Maybe they can come back with that proof now.

Everyone is a fan of one show or another, with enough readers of this site, a variety of these errors could be confirmed or denied. I'll have to look through this list as well.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
So I'm not clear - under the error reports, do we click "error" to support that something is incorrect and "accurate" is we oppose the correction, or do we click "error" to say the error report is inaccurate and "accurate" to say the report is correct?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
You select "Oppose" if you think the information is ERRONEOUS (and therefore the error report is justified)

You select "Endorse" if you think the information is ACCURATE (and therefore the error report is a false alarm)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Wow, that is quite the error collection. You would think / hope that the original contributor of the error in question could have originally provided the necessary backup to prove the error and its correction and have submitted that to you to try to make your job a little easier. In other words, don't just say it's wrong, put explain how you are aware of the error and how you can prove the correction should be made. Maybe they can come back with that proof now.

Everyone is a fan of one show or another, with enough readers of this site, a variety of these errors could be confirmed or denied. I'll have to look through this list as well.

My favourite error report thus far regarding an alternate title, the gist if which was "I watched it", ended "I think someone just listed it as [removed] just to sound intelegent" - it had been entered and endorsed by a senior editor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I'd like to think that when I submit an error report I provide enough information for an editor to make a yes/no decision on the spot. Anyway, I'm on this like white on rice on a paper plate next to a glass of milk in a snowstorm in Oslo in the middle of January.

...and also somebody spilled whiteout everywhere, and this whole scene is being viewed on a very bright monitor with a bad glare from the flood lights behind me, and the brightness has been turned up to 100
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
For anime titles, it says if there is an earlier entry with a different spelling, I should click the duplicate button next to the earlier entry. But what if I think the spelling in the earlier entry is incorrect, and the spelling in the later entry is the correct one? Should I still call the later one a duplicate of the earlier one even though I think the later one is the right spelling and the earlier one is the wrong spelling?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
You select "Oppose" if you think the information is ERRONEOUS (and therefore the error report is justified)

You select "Endorse" if you think the information is ACCURATE (and therefore the error report is a false alarm)

Thank you! I'll do whatever I and my 5 (is it really 5 by now? wow time flies) years of studying Japanese can do to help!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
For anime titles, it says if there is an earlier entry with a different spelling, I should click the duplicate button next to the earlier entry. But what if I think the spelling in the earlier entry is incorrect, and the spelling in the later entry is the correct one? Should I still call the later one a duplicate of the earlier one even though I think the later one is the right spelling and the earlier one is the wrong spelling?

The reason for endorsing the earliest entry is so everyone is on the same page; otherwise someone else may come along and pick a different one to endorse, diluting the votes.

However, I would think that if the earliest entry is actually spelt incorrectly (not just an alternative spelling but definitely incorrect) then it would be better to endorse the earliest correct one (otherwise it will be added to the encyclopaedia incorrectly when approved and require extra work to correct). Dan?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It might just be me but all I get in the error reports list is anime - no manga. Even when I select "manga in my categories" options from the drop downs I get anime titles.
Mitsuho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Subscription to the user with the most well researched corrections?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

This is like voting on referenda where NO means yes . :) Why don't you just change the page to read

•the error report is justified
•the error report is unjustified
•both the error report and the original are wrong

[box to input the correct information with facts/sources]
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
if the earliest entry is actually spelt incorrectly (not just an alternative spelling but definitely incorrect) then it would be better to endorse the earliest correct one (otherwise it will be added to the encyclopaedia incorrectly when approved and require extra work to correct).

Yes, the earliest correct submission should be favored. Including the correct type (TV/OAV/...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
It might just be me but all I get in the error reports list is anime - no manga.

Search for "(manga)" in the error reports list. There are some, but they are outnumbered by anime error reports. And a maximum of 500 error reports are displayed, otherwise the page would be too heavy.

Moomintroll wrote:
Even when I select "manga in my categories" options from the drop downs I get anime titles.

Yep, that one was a bug. Now fixed.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is like voting on referenda where NO means yes . Smile Why don't you just change the page to read

•the error report is justified
•the error report is unjustified
•both the error report and the original are wrong

I won't change the wording to that because it's a page to report errors on submitted data, not to report errors on error reports. But Tempest also thought the wording was confusing. I've changed it; better now?
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Say, the person who has already submitted a new anime's entry provided a reliable source(the official website, for one); would it still help just to confirm it? I just confirmed one, the source provided wouldn't need anything besides it, but since I had to add something, since I can't just confirm the entry, I just used amazon.jp as a source. Does amazon.jp even serve as a source? The real question is, can't we just confirm it without adding any extras? Or is it better to do nothing if there's a reliable source provided?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3