• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Handley's Attorney Comments on Obscene Manga Case

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, nice to know someone actually involved with the case was following our discussions. And replied with a commentary! Seems like Chris was doomed from the start. Hopefully these other cases will turn things around.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we got some real commentary and answers to what actually happened.

Hopefully, this will stop arguments and inform more people on the situation.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't change that it's BS.
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't change the BS, no. But given the convoluted system it was the best that could have been made of the situation, from the point of view of the people most directly involved.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring the ideological aspects of all of this, it's good to hear that Handley will probably serve his sentence in a halfway house.
BigSpoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So.... If I was able to draw and drew a naked little girl, it's illegal? Lol wtf is wrong with that picture(no pun intended). Also so all those loli doujinshi/manga/novels that sell at the cons are illegal?! I wonder whats going to happen during con season this year lol. I mean common they are drawings man it's art. Crappy/creepy art but still, it's make believe. Because of this I can complain about those stupid little cupid like statues because they look like kids and are completely naked lol.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
What all of this really means is that for us, the best and most important thing to do is serve jury duty. I'm serious. Don't go into a courtroom with your little notice slip and come up with some lame excuse for why you can't serve. The country needs a good source of intelligent people sitting at trials, making rational judgements (not based on their "ick" factor) and keeping people like CHris Handley out of prison. It's the best we can hope for while the legal system tries to work the kinks out of this whole Miller Test and obscenity mess.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
What all of this really means is that for us, the best and most important thing to do is serve jury duty. I'm serious. Don't go into a courtroom with your little notice slip and come up with some lame excuse for why you can't serve. The country needs a good source of intelligent people sitting at trials, making rational judgements (not based on their "ick" factor) and keeping people like CHris Handley out of prison. It's the best we can hope for while the legal system tries to work the kinks out of this whole Miller Test and obscenity mess.

You know...that is a really good point. I'll think twice before I whine about jury duty.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've read an exceptional article on ANN. I have to say that Eric Chase is (according to his comment) an experienced attorney who definitely handles Chris Handley's case with brilliantprofessionalism and a certain degree of sensitivity to visit forums like ours.

Sad to say, HE definitely isn't an otaku!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anyways, many people would very much appreciate information that hopes to shed light on cases like Chris Handley's who belongs to a society interested in unique cultural media (anime/manga).

Thanks for caring enough more or less.
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
BS is still BS.

Hell, when I'm allowed to serve jury, I'll do it to make sure crap like this happens.

Seriously, if was a real kid, I'd go apeshit. But it's just a drawing, so I don't really care.

People need to think, especially in America. I would know, I go to high school, and there is some people who make the kids with Down syndrome look like freaking Stephen Hawking.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:

...Y'know, I've never once recieved a jury duty notice. I wonder if perhaps I'm missing some sort of key registry somewhere for it?

I any case, I hope this is as painless as possible for Mr. Handley. I also doubt we'll see any real change at most cons- this wasn't exactly headline news for most. Provided no groups-with-a-vendetta out there caught wind of this and actively try to cause problems at a con, it should be fine.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Cait wrote:

...Y'know, I've never once recieved a jury duty notice. I wonder if perhaps I'm missing some sort of key registry somewhere for it?

I any case, I hope this is as painless as possible for Mr. Handley. I also doubt we'll see any real change at most cons- this wasn't exactly headline news for most. Provided no groups-with-a-vendetta out there caught wind of this and actively try to cause problems at a con, it should be fine.

i've seen his case brought up on quite afew ultra conservative websites unfortunatly

Last edited by hitokiriizo on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This was a very interesting read. Also quite terrifying to think that the laws governing obscenity are so vague. Good luck to Max Hardcore in his lawsuit.

DuelLadyS wrote:

I think you get on the list when you register to vote, though I'm not entirely sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:

Now meaning to sound depressing but...

A juror is selected by interview process after being called in for some trials. This one would be an interview selection. The jury's goal is usually to come to a swift decision imo. The other jurors would not be too happy if they are there with someone preventing them from going home. Plus, you're not paid that much for missing time at work. When I participated on a jury, the compensation was $10 for the day.

Handley definitely would not have wanted a jury trial. It would have been over in 1 hour of deliberation imo.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
This was a very interesting read. Also quite terrifying to think that the laws governing obscenity are so vague. Good luck to Max Hardcore in his lawsuit.

DuelLadyS wrote:

I think you get on the list when you register to vote, though I'm not entirely sure.

So that's why most Americans don't vote?

Joke aside, I hope his sentence will be light, if not none.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8