• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Starts DVD-on-Demand Service with Rave Master

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
oh man, finally. about god damn time?
astro98

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I have a funny feeling this isn't going to work out well...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought FUNimation now handled Tokyopop's properties. I wasn't expecting them to hang on to RAVE.

But yeah, considering how "not good" the dub is, I can't see this working out very well. It may work if they put out a subbed version for it though.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too excited about this title, but I'm going to order one anyway. I figure if anime fans support it this time, it might work.

I'm not really sure why ImaginAsian Entertainment's venture into this type of thing didn't work out, maybe it was the title they chose. I've always thought DVD print-on-demand was kind of a good idea...
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice to finally hear something about TP. They've kind of been keeping a low profile for a while.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the dub radically changes the story or is it just poor acting? I don't mind it if they change the script a little, for example like what Funimation usually does, but I don't want to get a really watered-down G-rated show.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
So did Rave Master ever fully air on US television? I assumed it got canceled when it was on Cartoon Network and it seemed to end on Syfy at about the same spot. Was that just as far as the show was ever dubbed since it didn't last on TV the first time, or was that where it really stopped?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Awesome about dam time they release the rest of Rave Master
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought DJ Milky ran TOKYOPOP into the ground crashing and burning?? Wasn't he the main reason why TOKYOPOP lost alot of Kondashia's properties and made the Anime division the laughing stock of the anime world?
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
interesting idea... but dub-only? pass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
An odd move, but given its notoriety and the market, that might actually be the best move for it now. I'm not quite sure about the whole DVD-R bit (even if it does save money), but the model itself seems interesting enough for other older titles and future, niche-of-niche titles. But yes, I thought that FUNimation was handling TP's DVDs, unless it was a selective deal or Rave Master couldn't be part of it.

here-and-faraway wrote:
Does anyone know if the dub radically changes the story or is it just poor acting? I don't mind it if they change the script a little, for example like what Funimation usually does, but I don't want to get a really watered-down G-rated show.

I can't speak for the story, but it is very easy to tell that the script was monkeyed around with a lot. The actors themselves aren't bad, but the horrible added puns and jokes they had to say and the general direction of the dub made it a pain to sit through. And then there's that OP...

Last edited by Sam Murai on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
An odd move, but given its notoriety and the market, that might actually be the best move for it now. I'm not quite sure about the whole DVD-R bit (even if it does save money), but the model itself seems interesting enough for other older titles and future, niche-of-niche titles. But yes, I thought that FUNimation was handling TP's DVDs, unless it was a selective deal or Rave Master couldn't be part of it.

Yeah, I was reading reviews on some other release through CreateSpace within the last week, almost seemed like a 50/50 chance of getting poorly authored discs that did not play reliably. They have since gone to professional pressings, and I hope this will too.

Really killed my buzz from reading the title.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

Well the cast is Yuri Lowenthal, Michelle Ruff, Crispin Freeman, Doug Erholtz, and many other VAs commonly used by Viz.

It's not poor acting, it's bad script writing. Rave aired on Cartoon Network's old Miguzi block, that should tell you how watered down this is.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Using CreateSpace is an excellent idea. I really wish that more companies would do that - at least for stuff which they're not going to be producing in bulk. It would be particularly ideal for old CD releases.

If you don't know anything about CreateSpace, it's a business where you send them a master for your material (be it a DVD, CD, or book), and then they sell it through their site and/or Amazon. They don't actually produce any of the discs until someone orders them, so there are no inventory costs. Your cost is producing the original. Beyond that, there really isn't any. So, it makes it perfect sense for people or companies who can't afford to have large inventories. It makes the risk for niche products much lower.

The only real downsides are that the packaging is thoroughly standardized (you choose the artwork, but you can't have non-standard casing or inserts), and that you pretty much have to buy it from amazon at that point. So, if any other store wanted it in their inventory, they'd have to buy it from CreateSpace or Amazon, and then sell it for a somewhat higher price.

Regardless, it seems to me that for some products, going the CreateSpace route is an excellent idea. Certainly for a company like Tokypop who doesn't do a lot of DVDs and can't afford to waste a lot of money on inventory that doesn't sell, it seems like a great solution.

Now, whether they'll make money on these releases is another matter, but they've definitely found a good way to cut costs.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
I thought DJ Milky ran TOKYOPOP into the ground crashing and burning?? Wasn't he the main reason why TOKYOPOP lost alot of Kondashia's properties and made the Anime division the laughing stock of the anime world?

Why the hell did you think they are using DVD-R. He came up with one good idea (release manga unedited, and unflipped) and then has made every mistake he could make like thinking he could write which led to some of the worst dubs ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2