• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach GN 30

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
*Sigh* Sad
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Well, I liked this volume. I guess I don't mind long fights. The part with Ruika was sweet, though.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
*Sigh* Sad

You created an account just for this?

Anyhoo... this was probably the second-to-last section of Bleach I really liked (the last being spoiler["Swing Back the Pendulum"]). You're right that this is falling apart. I think Kubo Tite really screwed himself over in the Soul Society Arc (the last section I read in volumes before being bad and starting to read chapters online) when he opted for 13 squads; he had to make at least 26 new characters with that, and has sort of lots control over his cast ever since. There's nothing wrong with having gobs of characters, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with all of them, other than giving them protracted and sometimes pointless fight scenes.

That said, Rukia's fight here is a good one. If you'd already given up on Bleach, at least read this volume, for old times' sake.
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
I don't get what Tite Kubo's problem is. He is literally doing the same thing over again.

Lets Save Orihime! = Lets save Rukia!
Hueco Mundo = Soul Society
Arrancars = Soul Reaper Captains
Grimjow = Kenpachi

I stopped buying Bleach four volumes ago because of this.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
You shouldn't care what people do, vashfanatic

For all we know, he could be an avid fan, and couldn't find the words to either defend or clarify his thoughts.

As for me, while Bleach is my favorite anime ever, I can't say the same about the manga because I haven't seen much of it.
But for all of it's weaknesses, I'll never let that stop me loving it's core characters, it's large scale plot, and how it's different from every other shonen out there.
Dragged out it may be, but at least it doesn't try to be something it isn't. After all this, it's still the same Bleach. And that's more than I can say for others. Very Happy
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Bleach stopped being interesting after Soul Society arc.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, how much longer are they going to be running around fighting mid-level villains?!

If it's any consolation...the badassery will ensue soon: spoiler[Ichigo VS. Grimmjow] is....meh. Now, spoiler[Ichigo & Nel & Zaraki VS Nnoitra]...well, that's mass badassery in testosterone injected doses.

That said....I'm seeing Bleach head off into the same direction as Kingdom Hearts: Nowheresville.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
You shouldn't care what people do, vashfanatic

For all we know, he could be an avid fan, and couldn't find the words to either defend or clarify his thoughts.

Actually, that was my point. Simply typing in "*sigh*" expresses nothing. Is he unhappy with the review? Unhappy with the manga? What do you mean?! If you can't actually find words for something and just want to sigh, why bother signing up for a forum to make a meaningless post?
Quote:
Dragged out it may be, but at least it doesn't try to be something it isn't. After all this, it's still the same Bleach. And that's more than I can say for others.

Actually, Bleach has changed radically over time. Remember when it used to be about the people in Karakura town, and purifying Hollows? Yeah, I barely do either. He created great human characters, and has ditched them for a host of supernatural ones in an ever-expanding cast of repetitive characters. He's ditched the "monster-of-the-week" model for long drawn out battles in a seemingly unending myth arc. He's ditched the wry, self-aware humor for angst and dramatic posturing. This not the same Bleach I first grew to love.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, that was my point. Simply typing in "*sigh*" expresses nothing. Is he unhappy with the review? Unhappy with the manga? What do you mean?! If you can't actually find words for something and just want to sigh, why bother signing up for a forum to make a meaningless post?

I'm pretty sure he added a sad face to express himself. Maybe he doesn't want to get flooded by people who will denounce his statement. If I couldn't find the words to describe my grief I'd be silent too. But he, at least, showed disatisfaction! Not many people do that!

Quote:
He created great human characters, and has ditched them for a host of supernatural ones in an ever-expanding cast of repetitive characters. He's ditched the "monster-of-the-week" model for long drawn out battles in a seemingly unending myth arc.

Those characters still exist! I don't see Ichigo being a power-hungry mongrel who's out only for #1. Orihime is still a non-fighter, who affects people with her strong will.
Chad still protects Ichigo's ambitions, like he said he would, Uryu is still... Uryu Very Happy
I don't get what you're upset about. You would've prefered them staying in Karakura? As far as I'm concerned, nearly every supernatural character has a uniqueness about them. True, some Arrancar's are a little stereotypical, but at least they help the characters that matter grow! The spirit of Bleach is there, it's just busy redefining itself. Good series hardly ever change their pace. It's risky. But I have a feeling that Kubo knows what he's doing. He wouldn't create so much uniqueness if it were all going to go downhill.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I don't get what you're upset about. You would've prefered them staying in Karakura? As far as I'm concerned, nearly every supernatural character has a uniqueness about them. True, some Arrancar's are a little stereotypical, but at least they help the characters that matter grow! The spirit of Bleach is there, it's just busy redefining itself. Good series hardly ever change their pace. It's risky. But I have a feeling that Kubo knows what he's doing. He wouldn't create so much uniqueness if it were all going to go downhill.

Even good authors make mistakes at times, and sometimes write themselves into corners they don't know how to get out of.

I don't think Bleach is complete crap now like some seem to, but I do think it has fallen a fair amount. Every now and then, some of the old goodness will shine through, a chapter or a few that reminds me of why I started liking Bleach in the first place, but inbetween there are a lot of chapters that just make me go "meh"

Still, Kubo can pull off some very cool stuff, so I still have hope the manga will return to a more consistent quality.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
I don't get what Tite Kubo's problem is. He is literally doing the same thing over again.

Lets Save Orihime! = Lets save Rukia!
Hueco Mundo = Soul Society
Arrancars = Soul Reaper Captains
Grimjow = Kenpachi

I stopped buying Bleach four volumes ago because of this.

Not only that, isn't this pretty much his version of Saint Seiya's Hades arc? Wasn't the Soul Society arc the Bleach equivalent of Saint Seiya's Sanctuary arc? I hope the Bleach captains will have more luck than the Gold Knights, heh.

That said, I do like Bleach, but I'm not looking forward to this volume. Last volume was great, mostly because of Ishida, but he won't fight again until the next wave of enemies arrives.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I'm pretty sure he added a sad face to express himself. Maybe he doesn't want to get flooded by people who will denounce his statement. If I couldn't find the words to describe my grief I'd be silent too. But he, at least, showed disatisfaction! Not many people do that!

Dissatisfaction with what?! Grief over what?! With the review? With Bleach? Adding a smiley face adds nothing. It was still a meaningless post. We want to encourage meaningful discussion, not random expressions of nothing!

Quote:
Those characters still exist! I don't see Ichigo being a power-hungry mongrel who's out only for #1. Orihime is still a non-fighter, who affects people with her strong will.
Chad still protects Ichigo's ambitions, like he said he would, Uryu is still... Uryu Very Happy

Except that those characters barely get any time any more. Chad and Uryuu in particular have been horribly underused after all the time that was spent building them up.

Quote:
I don't get what you're upset about. You would've prefered them staying in Karakura?

I would like them to have spent more time there, yes. After the Soul Society arc (which, though good, should have been shorter), he should have returned to Karakura and continued to build up those characters rather than by and large forgetting they existed. it's been at least three years since we saw Tatsuki and Urahara, and they were great characters who were initially really important.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, nearly every supernatural character has a uniqueness about them. True, some Arrancar's are a little stereotypical, but at least they help the characters that matter grow!

Wait, you've seen character growth lately? Where? I guess I've totally missed it what with single battles taking up multiple volumes as character are reduced to whatever magical move they can pull out of their asses this time.

Quote:
The spirit of Bleach is there, it's just busy redefining itself. Good series hardly ever change their pace. It's risky. But I have a feeling that Kubo knows what he's doing. He wouldn't create so much uniqueness if it were all going to go downhill.

Wha...? "The spirit of Bleach"? Just what is the spirit of something other than its story, which has turned into a malaise of battles that are generally proven pointless only a few chapters later, and its characters, which are underused and often ignored?

And what uniqueness? All the uniqueness of Bleach was in its humor and quirkiness, which again has also been lost. I am frankly no longer convinced that Kubo Tite knows exactly what he's doing; I think he may have a general idea, but a lot of this is just being made up as it goes along because he doesn't want this cash cow to end.

You and I clearly have different standards on what constitutes something being good. I gave up on Bleach about a year ago and have moved on to better things.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the minority, but I still love Bleach. Of all the manga I collect, I'm still more excited for the next volume of Bleach than any other. The pace has slowed down for sure, but it's still moving, and I don't exactly mind long stretches of fights, especially when they're drawn like this. Kubo's art just keeps getting better too. He can pack a lot of emotion into facial expressions without crossing the line into exaggeration (like One Piece often does). Even if they have been cannon fodder enemies so far, I think it's noteworthy that Kubo tried to make the reader (at least me) feel some pity for Cirucci and Dordonni, even though he really didn't have to. However, I'd love to see Ichigo's school friends again.

I just wish Viz would speed it up, because what's happening now sounds really good (I don't read the scans).
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wha...? "The spirit of Bleach"? Just what is the spirit of something other than its story, which has turned into a malaise of battles that are generally proven pointless only a few chapters later, and its characters, which are underused and often ignored?

When I say "spirit" I mean essence. Y'know, the reason why fans liked it in the first place!
I didn't like the humor as much as you claim there is... (the only funny I liked was Kon.), what I loved was the characters.

The unique aspect is how these characters behave with the roles their given. Soul Reapers turned allies, instead of being completely destroyed. Certain Arrancars being piqued by the uniqueness of humans. The motives behind Aizen. The reasons why Visored aren't plentiful when they could.
Yes we've seen this sort of thing happen in one shonen or other, but how they're used just silently awes me.

You could be right about the cash cow element, because money is an object, but as long you like aspects of something and know that those same aspects haven't gone yet, then there's hope. At least to me, there is.

Quote:
You and I clearly have different standards on what constitutes something being good. I gave up on Bleach about a year ago and have moved on to better things.

To tell you the truth, I haven't watched any episodes after 63 since that episode aired here.
Bleach may be my #1 anime, but it hasn't stopped me from trying new things. I'd be pretty closed-minded! My Top 10 should convince some that I have taste. Or at the very least, a large array of what I like to watch.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
After the incredible Grimmjow fight the series has become one stale bs fest. The Ulquiorra fight was a complete dud that had no justification for its existence and pretty much every Espada with the exception of Grimmjow is boring. One can probably attribute most of this to the fact that Kubo has written the most boring, pretentious, and poorly characterized villain in recent shounen history. Luckily the series has done anything TRULY heretical unlike Naruto and recently One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2