• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Witchy Woman

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
You gave Yozakura Quartet a red bar, but listed it as Rental Shelf...
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Two dumb comments from me:

1. Kate Beaton's stuff is rad.
2. Your Morning Musume joke made me giggle in public.

That is all.
Shinmaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop actually released eight of the Slayers novels, although not all of them are available on Amazon/Right Stuf. Haven't read 'em, myself, so I can't speak for the quality, but I'd like to read them eventually, too.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed Strike Witches. If you can look past the fan service the show has some really good action scenes and alot of the characters are well done as well.
doubleO7

Shinmaru wrote:
Tokyopop actually released eight of the Slayers novels, although not all of them are available on Amazon/Right Stuf. Haven't read 'em, myself, so I can't speak for the quality, but I'd like to read them eventually, too.

I read the first 5 novels afew years ago. I thought they were really good. I did notice the occasional typo, but it was never anyting too serious or distracting. Overall, I thought they were very enjoyable books, and I should probably buy them before they become harder to find Wink (I got them from a library the first time)
Zin5ki

Quote:
I share my birthday with such diverse celebrities as Queen Elizabeth II, Iggy Pop, and Tony Danza.

Well, your birthday coincides with the Queen's actual date of birth. Her "official" birthday falls in June, as per a summertime tradition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lkmjr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Hetalia characters do have sex. Or at least Greece and Japan do. Just sayin'.

Edit! Oh, and some of the novels have been released in English. The first eight or so have been released by Tokyopop. Sadly, that's only eight out of that series' fifteen, and even after that there are over fifty Slayers novels all together if you count prequels and such.... *sob* I want more light novels. Saiunkoku Monogatari in particular I would give almost anything to read.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Hoo, boy. The second I saw Strike Witches listed on this Shelf Life's sidebar description, I thought, "Batten down the hatches! There's a vicious storm a-brewin'!" As of now, I consider this thread under a Category 5 Shrieking Defensive Otaku watch. Expect hot winds of up to 60 miles per hour.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I quite enjoyed Strike Witches. If you can look past the fan service the show has some really good action scenes and alot of the characters are well done as well.
Like if I can look past the pain and concussion of getting my face bashed in with a large dead cod, I might find some enjoyment in it. Rolling Eyes
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
Like if I can look past the pain and concussion of getting my face bashed in with a large dead cod, I might find some enjoyment in it. Rolling Eyes
Yep Mohawk, exactly like that Rolling Eyes .
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Sorry to say that Stirke Witches is pretty easy to look past the fan service. FAR easier then other shows out there that are made of nothing but such. Like Ikkitousen or Queens Blade for example. My point is the show isn't just about fan service. There are a few great scenes and some good characters. That's all I meant by it. And I'm not the only one who thinks that as ANN's own reviewer felt the same way.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I could almost deal with this show if the characters were older. Unfortunately, teenagers with low self-esteem get fetishized and I find that offensive.

Seriously, that was the last straw?

Mio can still use her magic powers, as well as Yoshika's Mother and Grandmother. They just don't put out the necessary power to use a striker unit.

And any of the girls who had self-esteem issues in the show deal with it, and get over it (usually in the same episode). So I don't see the 'low self-esteem' angle.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This week's article was pretty good.

Can't say I agree with the Strike Witches part, but her comments on Slayers just makes me want to complain to Funimation to repost those episodes of the first seasons back up in their entirety.

As for Yozakura.... hmmm, it just doesn't sound interesting to me.

If I were to classify it based on what I know, I'd say it's like Kaze no Stigma, where upon it's basically an average show but has those "special unique moments/characters/chemistry/etc." that make it more enjoyable than the average show.

I might try it, but this article coupled with this site's review already dissuade me from trying it sooner than later...
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
Hoo, boy. The second I saw Strike Witches listed on this Shelf Life's sidebar description, I thought, "Batten down the hatches! There's a vicious storm a-brewin'!" As of now, I consider this thread under a Category 5 Shrieking Defensive Otaku watch. Expect hot winds of up to 60 miles per hour.

I could start an argument on the internet over something unimportant, but luckily, I have more constructive and pleasant things to do: like organizing my mecha musume figures.

No amount of internet posturing will change the fact that different people have different tastes. Also, that line about Morning Musume was very witty and perceptive.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Well I actually like Strike Witches too cause of the fanservice. However a really good dub and stroyline is also a plus too. A definate Shelf Worthy in my eyes. Not susprise it got the perishable cause it seems a lot of loli tinged fanservice series gets hacked badly.

Also RIN ( which I also liked a lot ) is actually a lot more offensive than popotan (which is another series I liked a lot).

Sure i can understand the loli ecchi fanservice might upset some viewers, but at least it's no Story of Little Monica which is extremely offensive even for me.

though I was susprised that Slayers got the rental shelf. I can agree that the villan was kinda sutpid and way too happy for my taste & for the series but this is slayers after all which never made sense in the old days which is why it was fun to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11