• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Column Play

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Another Shelf I disagree with. Magical Play is amazingly funny. The Pipin voice is such great fun in English. The voice actress is such a nice person too...and wacky. You can talk to her on AnimeonDVD.com forums (animegirl22). Give that sweet lady a hug Smile (she was in Cosplay Complex...another goofy show better than it was reviewed as...as the bunny girl...ditto here too)

And a big rasberry to putting Gravitation so low even with a good review. Myu.

And even more proof that the Shelf Life reviewer just doesn't understand crazy character anime stories. Little love for the bibliophiles of ROD or the girls of Azumanga. Go Maggie and Ms. Sakaki!
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
And even more proof that the Shelf Life reviewer just doesn't understand crazy character anime stories. Little love for the bibliophiles of ROD or the girls of Azumanga. Go Maggie and Ms. Sakaki!

Honestly, there's no accounting for taste - and you are not under any obligation to agree with a reviewer.

Having said that, I should also state the obvious: these are reviews of individual DVD releases. Thus, the ROD review is based on the first volume. It's obvious from the text that this is all that the reviewer has seen of the TV series.

As an example, there is the remark that with "a more episodic premise, it doesn’t have quite the mystique and novelty as the OVA". As those of us who have seen the entire series will know, this isn't true - there is a well-crafted storyline running through the entire series, so it is far from episodic - but it is true that the series does start off in a way that could easily give the impression of an episodic format. All things considered, one can hardly blame the reviewer for getting the wrong idea.

In this vein, I should say that many of the truly great anime series have this in common: they start off in a seemingly unconnected, scattershot way - then suddenly, all the threads begin to come together, and the result is high entertainment. In simple terms, they "grow on you". Read or Die - the TV is one of these, and Planetes is another.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
And a big rasberry to putting Gravitation so low even with a good review. Myu.

So low? It was in Rental Shelf. Where it's placed in relation to the list is completely arbitrary. I enjoyed it for what it was-- a good romance. But I keep readers in mind, too, and in my opinion, I think that while some people will love Gravitation, some people will disdain it. Thus, it's something people should really rent to figure out if it's up their alley or not. I gave it a good review. Sorry I didn't tell everyone to preorder the whole series.

Quote:

No, it's not proof of anything. I liked the ROD characters just fine. I just thought it didn't have the same appeal the ROD OVA had. And to be honest with you, I don't consider ROD TV a "crazy character anime story." It's an action/bodyguard/etc type story, that just happens to have quirky characters. There's nothing to "understand" about it.

Same with Azumanga Daioh. It's not that I don't "understand" the story, it's that I think most people would benefit from renting it, rather than purchasing it blindly. It really is an acquired taste, and I know people that either really hate it or love it, and if I was an innocent consumer, I know that I'd want to preview it first before I dropped the money for it. And it's funny you mention Sakaki, because she's my favorite character. Of all the girls, she's the one I relate the most to.

I didn't realize telling someone to rent an anime was such an insult, nor did I realize that my not falling in love with all of your favorite series meant that I didn't understand them.

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:38 pm Reply with quote
^^ *big sweat drop* Sorry, I probably should have bit my tongue instead. Thank you for reviewing. I was surprised and glad another review came so soon. I just tend to get carried away with shows I like.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
^^ *big sweat drop* Sorry, I probably should have bit my tongue instead. Thank you for reviewing. I was surprised and glad another review came so soon. I just tend to get carried away with shows I like.

No, no, it's fine. I enjoy getting feedback from readers. I just wanted to stress that Shelf Life is, in the end, an opinion column, and everyone has different tastes. Thanks for taking the time to read it. Anime smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
Another Shelf I disagree with. Magical Play is amazingly funny. The Pipin voice is such great fun in English. The voice actress is such a nice person too...and wacky. You can talk to her on AnimeonDVD.com forums (animegirl22). Give that sweet lady a hug Smile (she was in Cosplay Complex...another goofy show better than it was reviewed as...as the bunny girl...ditto here too)

Magical Play is many things. One thing it is not is 'amazingly funny' by any yardstick of comedy we here posess on Earth. It was cancelled in Japan for the precise reason that it was undercooked, uninteresting, unfunny and mostly lame. I'm sure the voice actress is a nice woman. That does not make the show she's in good.

Cosplay Complex was an excuse for boobs, and that's about it. Life is too short for stuff like Cosplay Complex. There's a reason these sorts of shows are reviled by critics; they're terrible.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zac"]
Fallen Embers wrote:
There's a reason these sorts of shows are reviled by critics; they're terrible.

Umm...it wasn't exactly reviled here...it was just put in Rentals opinion. Magical Play was online publish so I don't see how it could be "cancelled" in the tv sense. And being cancelled hardly means a show is bad. And I stand by my opinion that Magical Play is 'amazingly funny', because I find it 'amazingly funny'. It also has cute touches. Cosplay Complex is more than 'boobs'. It's on the ecchi side but it was well worth watching for me.

And as for reviews I haven't found a poor review. In fact AnimeOnDVD enjoyed both DVDs.

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3043.php

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/2761.php
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
And I stand by my opinion that Magical Play is 'amazingly funny', because I find it 'amazingly funny'. It also has cute touches. Cosplay Complex is more than 'boobs'. It's on the ecchi side but it was well worth watching for me.

In the interest of discussion, it'd be a lot better if you'd be willing to back up your feelings of the shows. Anybody can like or dislike a series, but it gets a little old to sit around and compare lists. Who knows, you might change a few minds (I haven't seen either so I can't say anything), but at the very least, it would be much more fun.
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to show what exactly is 'funny' in any situation.
What I find funny
+Ukochi's 'costume' design (how exactly does he live???)
+The twisted humor (using your soulmate and best friend for food)
+Uokichi's cries (even though this would go under the twisted part)
+Pipin's carrot hair and her obsessions
+The 'cutthroat' world of Magical Girldom
+Cat-bras
+Zuccini's Wily Coyote style outcomes
+The 3D 'cel' encounter (although more cool than funny...I like the look)
+The CGI jokes
+The Police duo.
+That the world got wiped out....twice
(And other intangibles...[intend to add more later if possible])

The CGI short wasn't that funny though, but the series was fun.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:13 am Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Fallen Embers wrote:
And I stand by my opinion that Magical Play is 'amazingly funny', because I find it 'amazingly funny'. It also has cute touches. Cosplay Complex is more than 'boobs'. It's on the ecchi side but it was well worth watching for me.

In the interest of discussion, it'd be a lot better if you'd be willing to back up your feelings of the shows. Anybody can like or dislike a series, but it gets a little old to sit around and compare lists. Who knows, you might change a few minds (I haven't seen either so I can't say anything), but at the very least, it would be much more fun.

Well agreed. I tend to like series for one of two reasons.

1) The series is acctually good and stirs the mind and emotions, and provides a well achieved laugh here and there.
2) The series is so absurdly bad and rediculious that one can't help but laugh at how badly executed everything is and how lame the storyline could ever get.

Basically, everything on this weeks Shelf Life could fit in one of those two, especially the H stuff at the end. =P

On a side note, it's always sad when a good series ends in my opinion (sniffle.) ;_;

And about the bathroom stuff... Automatic toilet seat covers... those really exist? I have massive envy for the facility that uses any.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
And about the bathroom stuff... Automatic toilet seat covers... those really exist? I have massive envy for the facility that uses any.

Yeah, they're really awesome. Here's the website of the people that make them, plus diagrams of how it all works.

http://www.cleanseats.com/toilet_seats/view/how.html
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:20 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Yeah, they're really awesome. Here's the website of the people that make them, plus diagrams of how it all works.

http://www.cleanseats.com/toilet_seats/view/how.html

Wow. Amazing. I don't know about anyone else, but I have never been able to use a paper toilet seat cover correctly. And they feel so insecure. =P

Truely amazing ^^;
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1