• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann's Director, Designers on New Gainax Work

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The setting doesn't sound too exciting to be honest.
Although this is Gainax, so let's see how they manage to follow on from the success of TTGL.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
"When you got a good thing going, keep it going," I guess.

Seeing the core group behind Gurren Lagann at work again at GAINAX reminds me of the Taniguchi/Okouchi dynamic at Sunrise, Hosada & Co. at Madhouse, and Shinbo/SHAFT, in that a studio finds that right synergy with a talent(s), (along with profitability and notoriety), and they continue to work together on new projects. I've always thought it was great to see that kind of relationship grow from a single work that becomes a defining project for both the creators and the studio, leading to additional works from the two.

As for this particular project, given Imaishi's style and if this is in relation to that British piece being planned, I can only imagine just how such a mixture will turn out (unless he's taking a more subdued, dramatic route). Razz

Last edited by Sam Murai on Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Where did it say anything about setting?
braves

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the first time I get credited with/provide a news tip and it involves one of my favorite directors/animators. Awesome.

Like I said before, the people involved make me optimistic for how the end result will look, but the concept seems kinda out there. I did like GL a lot even if it was an otaku show and Dead Leaves was pretty zany, so I shouldn't expect anything else from Imaishi at this point.

Shay Guy wrote:
Where did it say anything about setting?
Here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The art student who fills the part-time position will be designing buildings, furniture, vehicles, and other objects for an animated project set in Great Britain from 1900 to 1930.

I see. Certainly not an inherently Imaishi-ish setting, but I presume they'll be doing some interesting things in there.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Gainax likes to reuse teams. Everyone from Mahoromatic went on to make Kono Mini. Most of the FLCL team worked on Diebuster. If this series is steampunk (almost certainly) and done in a similar style to Gurren Lagann (pretty likely), we might actually get the most unique work Gainax has produced since the early '00s.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Steampunk is supposed to be a lot closer to 1900 than 1930 though, unless Gainax doesn't really care and just wants everything to look cool.

Expecting good things from this kind of staff is fair enough, but we really haven't heard anything concrete about the project itself yet. The setting and its related design work doesn't tell us much...and the nickname doesn't mean anything right now either.

For instance, will they try to replicate Gurren Lagann or will they go in a completely different direction? Not that either option would be bad.

Whatever the case, I think it's fair to be cautiously optimistic and let them surprise us soon enough.
fuzaco

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the title is Panty and Stocking, Pansuto is just a shortened version for it.

Source:
http://twitter.com/ampersand2009/status/13372416480

I don't know what to expect from this title.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:
Actually, the title is Panty and Stocking, Pansuto is just a shortened version for it.

Source:

That's funny, when I first heard the name it remained me of the Japanese for Strike Witches, "Sutopan," a shortening of the Japanese pronunciation of "Strike Pantsu" (Strike Panties), just with the syllables reverses.

If Imaishi is directing it, it is assured to be awesome.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:

Source:

Yeah, that title makes me think it is a fanservice show. Disappointing. If it is, it is very unlikely that I would buy it if licensed. The setting sounded so cool, and I love the steampunk genre. What a bummer. Crying or Very sad
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:

Source:

The full title has not yet been confirmed by a verifiable source.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
This sounds cool I tend to trust Gainax to do good series and the staff line up sounds amazing. And based on the setting description I would guess they'll most likely be doing a steampunk which I enjoy. Not enough good steampunk out there but I think Gainax will handle it well. And I have a feeling that they'll be doing something in the vain of Gurren Lagann. In other words they'll be doing a tribute to that genre while at the same time trying to make it bigger and crazier than most have done it before.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Gainax likes to reuse teams. Everyone from Mahoromatic went on to make Kono Mini.

Really? Because it shows. Neither was very good, especially the latter which is perhaps the worst... thing... Gainax has ever spat out.
Quote:
Most of the FLCL team worked on Diebuster.

And the same can be observed here. Both are amongst the best they have produced. Provided this trend continues, we can expect good things of this one.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
fuzaco wrote:

Source:

Yeah, that title makes me think it is a fanservice show. Disappointing. If it is, it is very unlikely that I would buy it if licensed. The setting sounded so cool, and I love the steampunk genre. What a bummer. Crying or Very sad

You know, something tells me that this Pantsuto and the Britain steampunk show are two different anime that Gainax is working on. I don't know, when I think Panties and Stockings, I think....fanservice honestly. Not steampunk.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
You know, something tells me that this Pantsuto and the Britain steampunk show are two different anime that Gainax is working on. I don't know, when I think Panties and Stockings, I think....fanservice honestly. Not steampunk.

An Edwardian period setting does not necessarily imply steampunk, and does not preclude fanservice. Despite Sakura Wars and Steel Angel Kurumi, the 1920s was not full of steam-powered mecha. Perhaps instead it will be an adaptation of Upstairs, Downstairs, with added fanservice, to cater to the maid/butler interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2