• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime North 2010 - Funimation Industry Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Please please please don't give up on anime on Canadian tv, Funimation. YTV is being stupid and pouring all their money into cheap teen reality shows. They'll get over it.
Maybe they should try getting Lupin the Third and other shows like Case Closed (ie older shows) on channels like Teletoon Retro.
Also, it is interesting to hear they are announcing more license rescues. But from the article it seems that it isn't because they are trying to make up for all the re-releases last year, since they did state they aren't releasing as much as they did last year. Which is probably a good thing.
EDIT: Also, many thanks for trying to put more stuff on youtube. As far as I know Canadians are still a part of the region 1 dvd code, thus part of Funimation's audience (unlike other companies who put their stuff on dvd for region 1 but when they put it online they make it US only, yeah I know there's licensing but at least Funimation can manage this without getting its pants in a knot). Its great to see Funimation is still committed to reaching us here in the Great White North.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation does not currently have the rights to either Hellsing Ultimate 5 or Evangelion 2.0 but is awaiting offers on both.

That sucks. Sad

I've heard some where that Geneon's license on Hellsing 1-4 where going to expire later this year. Maybe they'll get an offer for episode 5 if they get 1-4.

As for Eva, that sucks. I hope once they ask FUNi about it they won't ask for to much money,
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I remember on one thread here that was concerning Funi, I thought a rep from the company jumped in and said that Requiem for the Phantom was going to be released on DVD and that was the hope/plan for all their simulcasts. So it's actually a case by case basis and they always hope/plan on being successful?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When asked about any plans to dub series they're currently simulcasting, such as House of Five Leaves, they stated that at this point the rights are purely for simulcasting with subtitles but giving series a dub and a full release is always the hope.

That's not a good sign. It seems like they're really being careful to emphasize that they're just streaming the show for now. It's unbelievable to me that they'd dive right on stuff like Dance in the Vampire Bund but for House of Five Leaves we're stuck with the wait and see approach. Plus you've gotta think that if they don't do a DVD release nobody else is going to. It's just like what happened with Phantom.

Quote:
Funimation does not currently have the rights to either Hellsing Ultimate 5 or Evangelion 2.0 but is awaiting offers on both.

Gotta love that Japanese business model:
1. Hold back our best, most valuable stuff
2. ???
3. Profit
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
i'm glad they are trying to get anime back on canadian tv. i really miss it.
nokishoff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Retracted

Last edited by nokishoff on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Geneon license rescues?

Oh please please PLEASE let one be at least one of the following:

Cardcaptor Sakura
Haibane Renmei
Paranoia Agent
Revolutionary Girl Utena

There are others that I'd be interested in as well, but PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE let it be one of those.

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Jun 7th 2010

Just making sure the year was right. This seems all too familiar. Didn't FUNimation just say this exact same stuff not too long ago?

Aside from the malfunctions, I'd say this was 2009.

Oh well. It's not like I was expecting any earth shattering news. Okay. I lied. I was hoping for a fantastic and complete bombshell of a surprise.

As they say in sports: "There's always next year."
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Damnit, no takers for FMA:B on Canadian TV? That isn't very reassuring, especially considering that Lance seemed a bit more optimistic about it when I was talking to him at SakuraCon. Maybe there's hope for DBZ Kai, at least?
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
High quality, start releasing more blu-ray and start getting more extra's then learn once again to properly time your subtitles before throwing out statements like that.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Geneon license rescues?

Oh please please PLEASE let one be at least one of the following:

Cardcaptor Sakura
Haibane Renmei
Paranoia Agent
Revolutionary Girl Utena

There are others that I'd be interested in as well, but PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE let it be one of those.

Utena wasn't liscensed by Geneon.
Dan297na

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
When asked about any plans to dub series they're currently simulcasting, such as House of Five Leaves, they stated that at this point the rights are purely for simulcasting with subtitles but giving series a dub and a full release is always the hope.

That's not a good sign. It seems like they're really being careful to emphasize that they're just streaming the show for now. It's unbelievable to me that they'd dive right on stuff like Dance in the Vampire Bund but for House of Five Leaves we're stuck with the wait and see approach. Plus you've gotta think that if they don't do a DVD release nobody else is going to. It's just like what happened with Phantom.

Phantom will be getting a DVD release.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=921462&highlight=#921462
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
As for Eva, that sucks. I hope once they ask FUNi about it they won't ask for to much money,[/quote]

I'd like to think that they would be realistic. Whatever they ask, if FUNI can't afford it, theres little to no chance anyone else could.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:

Phantom will be getting a DVD release.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=921462&highlight=#921462

That's what I was remembering, but I don't recall Funi making a formal licensing announcement for that, just a streaming one. Makes it hard to guess what's going on there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:

That's not a good sign. It seems like they're really being careful to emphasize that they're just streaming the show for now. It's unbelievable to me that they'd dive right on stuff like Dance in the Vampire Bund but for House of Five Leaves we're stuck with the wait and see approach.

Aw, come on, dude, you're not some wet-behind-the-ears noob. Does it REALLY shock you that Funi would move quick on a title like Dance in the Vampire Bund, but not so much with a super-niche title like Five Leaves? It may be a quality series (I ditched after two eppies because it was just too slow for me) but is there anything about it that screams, "sure fire commercial success!"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2