• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hot Topic Launches Black Butler Merchandise

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Weird. They typically only have this kinda stuff for more popular anime (Death Note was heavily on window display at the local store when is started on AS)
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Why would they make this shirt only in men's sizes? Isn't Black Butler geared for girls? Sebastian seems like total fangirl fodder.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
So a store that claims to specialize in the 21st-century concept of "goth" is using characters from a show where there plausibly could have been actual "gothic" fashion.

Does this qualify as irony?
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Why would they make this shirt only in men's sizes? Isn't Black Butler geared for girls? Sebastian seems like total fangirl fodder.

If you look at it from the other standpoint, he is a total badass. Maybe not so much on the t-shirt, but definitely in the show.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

If you look at it from the other standpoint, he is a total badass. Maybe not so much on the t-shirt, but definitely in the show.

Plus, his image might catch the attention of girls (or gay guys if you swing that way), and if you play your cards right they might actually take an interest in you, too. Wink

I know this marketing move may hurt the souls of some Black Butler fans, but in terms of color palette and style they are a very good match.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a marketing guy, but I am a 16 year old who knows how the Hot Topic fanbase works.

They should have had Black Butler merchandise in the front of the store with the manga and the anime side by side with the gimmick of "Goth transcending borders". Next to the manga and anime you would put lolita clothing with the theme of "real Japanese trends" or something of the sort. Those Hot Topic people will eat anything up that seems goth or "underground" and that Sebastian shirt isn't going to cause much of a stir.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Even though I haven't read or watched this series yet (I might if Funimation starts placing episodes on their video portal), the shirt looks pretty cool.
Joketsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
No Grell Shirts? I am disappoint!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

Don't be a chauvinist. Girls can fit men's sizes too. Cool

vashfanatic wrote:

Plus, his image might catch the attention of girls (or gay guys if you swing that way), and if you play your cards right they might actually take an interest in you, too. Wink

You see too much anime/manga/Hollywood. Laughing
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

I'm not a chauvinist. Men's shirts usually fit like crap on women, except maybe as a nightshirt.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
I have seen quite a few Vampire Knight shirts in there. And it is a funny store: guys always seem to get the best designs and style, with girls getting the super-girly versions, with MAYBE 1/4 of a selection :/

Seriously, I want a good baby doll tee of something like the guys have Sad I've seen pretty cool Zelda shirts and stuff there that are ONLY in guy sizes...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

I'm not a chauvinist. Men's shirts usually fit like crap on women, except maybe as a nightshirt.

That just means that shirt is too big for them, no matter the men's. Find smaller shirts or bigger women. Laughing

(I'm not being serious, BTW.)
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Man, what a bummer. How is it that my least favorite anime always end up being the most popular? Well, except for Bleach.
Redcrest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Man, what a bummer. How is it that my least favorite anime always end up being the most popular? Well, except for Bleach.

Judging by your icon, I'd say Ouran is another one that's pretty popular.

And even if the folks at Hot Topic had never read a single volume of Kuroshitsuji, they'd have gone for it because of its gothic art style and fashion. I agree with KanjiiZ -- it's a match made in heaven and a great tie-in for the Gothic Loli fashions HT has been trying to bring in. I think I've even seen those mini, lace-covered top hats that Ciel wears in the manga on sale at HT in the past...
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
I haven't been in a Hot Topic in about 7 years, but I just wanted to note that slender girls can look quite lovely in a men's small and below.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3