• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Plans E-Manga Store in N. America, France

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
You forgot to add Durarara!! It's on their website.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: On second thought, after visiting that site and seeing how they used the Black Butler, Record of a Fallen Vampire, and O-Parts Hunter titles, they are definitely paired up with the North American publishers.

It looks like that coalition wasn't for nothing. The US Publishers have teamed up directly with the Japanese publishers. ???. Profit?
lys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
A big slap in the face to Yen and Viz. But it's their fault for not jumping in while they had the chance.

Actually, if you check out the previews, it looks like the pages are the same as Yen's and Viz's editions (I can only directly compare Black Butler to the book since I own it, but Soul Eater also looks like Yen's lettering style). So it would appear some sort of agreement was worked out between the publishers (the US publisher would retain the right to their own version of the work, right?). The North American (and probably French) Square Enix site is just hosting them online as a digital alternative to the books.

[edit: looks like you figured it out too :D]

Last edited by lys on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
@Jaymie

Yeah, they mentioned in the press release that they will be working closely with the American publishers of these titles to promote both the digital and print versions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of about this from Siliconera before ANN announced this. Look like SE in US is trying to join the manga game. What's next:

-Square Enix bring Gangan Comicsto US to rival Shonen Jump (but I bet it'll be online not inprint because their title has been published by different title. if all of SE manga title were license by Yen Press then instead of Yen +, it'll be Gangan comic imprint in US just like Viz used to had Animerica, Pulp, Manga Vizion before Viz publish the American version of Shonen Jump)

-Square Enix and Eido Interactives to team up to adapt Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, and Hitman into anime anthology to cash in on the western video game anime adaptation and also to help the anime industry. That may include Kingdom Hearts anime if this was ever to happen.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Uh, what good does it do to put up series that have been available here for half a decade like FMA? I would like to see series that haven't been published here.

I already have a Square Enix account. I don't use it a lot but it's pretty cool. You can make avatars, journal/blogs, social networks, forums, groups, etc.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
A big slap in the face to Yen and Viz. But it's their fault for not jumping in while they had the chance.

Viz do publish some stuff online (free), like everything they have from Ikki.
Yen are moving their magazine online as well.

@ the edit I hope they start putting up otherwise unlicenced/ more niche stuff as well. (I want lawful copies of Saki)
lys wrote:
the US publisher would retain the right to their own version of the work, right?

Nope translations are owned by the licensee, Yen/Viz just have distribution rights for a few years. Square-enix own the translations they made.

More interested to know what the specifcs of georestrictions will be like.
Selling digital copies will only work if they're fairly cheap (or otherwise not available). Print copies being fairly reasonable for older titles, and generaly being more pleasant to read.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
I don't see Durarara!! anywhere on their site...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Since I follow Soul Eater and Pandora Hearts (and would follow Black Butler more regulary if I could find scanlations for it) I really like this idea and can't wait to hear more about it. Wonder if they'll add more stuff up too, I know that Nabari no Ou is ending soon but that's in the same magazine as BB and PH and also licenesed by YP so it's not too far-fetched.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Look harder then.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This could go in an interesting direction. I look forward to seeing how this will progress. So far, I approve!
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Look harder then.
I still can't find it! Crying or Very sad I hope this isn't a joke... Durarara!! is my 2nd favorite Anime (#1 is Detective Conan) and I don't find this funny at all... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I kinda feel embarrassed... Embarassed
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Look harder then.
I still can't find it! Crying or Very sad I hope this isn't a joke... Durarara!! is my 2nd favorite Anime (#1 is Detective Conan) and I don't find this funny at all... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I kinda feel embarrassed... Embarassed
I would expect that the update on Aug. 2 will have Durarara as a part of this program, also I see one manga that hasn't even been licensed in North America in the background image of that site (behind Death, Soul and Maka): Until Death Do Us Part. I am thinking that that manga may be licensed soon, since it's on the Square Enix North America site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
It's definately nice to see more ways to legally read manga online. The reader isn't bad either.
I definately wouldn't buy digital only volumes though. Now, if they have a small subscription fee with unlimited access (and provided there are titles I want to read) I could definately see myself going for this.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
It's definately nice to see more ways to legally read manga online. The reader isn't bad either.
I definately wouldn't buy digital only volumes though. Now, if they have a small subscription fee with unlimited access (and provided there are titles I want to read) I could definately see myself going for this.

My thought exactly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4