• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shigofumi - Letters from the Departed DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I really want to check this one out before buying. But if there's a stream being offered anywhere (like here or on CR) I want to watch a few episodes before I make a final decision. Other than that I'd be making a blind buy. But if it's anything similar to the Ballad of the Shinigami (which I also want) then that would be more my reason to add it to my collection.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Kotodama” by Ali Project serves as the opening theme

AAARRRRRGGHHHHH! *wall bangs head*

Ignoring the...unbelievable pain of that band singing again, I suppose this might be worth the blind buy. I'll give it a shot.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I really want to check this one out before buying. But if there's a stream being offered anywhere (like here or on CR) I want to watch a few episodes before I make a final decision. Other than that I'd be making a blind buy. But if it's anything similar to the Ballad of the Shinigami (which I also want) then that would be more my reason to add it to my collection.

It will be streaming on Anime Network soon: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Shigofumi/Watch . But usually only the first two episodes are free and the rest require you to be a member. It will most likely be on YouTube as well, but probably as a paid rental.

I have to say that I loved this show. It pulled me in from the first episode and I had to try hard not to stay up all night and finish it in one sitting. The stories and writing are excellent and the musical score is incredible and fits the show perfectly.

I love how many of the stories were able to stand alone but all tied back to the overarching back story of Fumika and her status as a mail carrier. I also loved the darker themes the show explored. It did them in a much more fluid and believable manner than similar shows like Hell Girl. And like Hell Girl, this events in the story all start with a single act of vengeance but unlike HG the story comes full circle with an act of kindness.

This is an excellent release and after one or two aborted releases, I'm glad Sentai was able to bring it over. This is definitely a top-tier title in my book.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Is the show consistently dark throughout, or is there some specks of light to be found from time to time? I don't really mind shows that are partially dark and depressing, but if Shigofumi is consistently so, my interest in it is going to take a very heavy hit.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I have only watched half the series, but I enjoy it very much. I need to pop in the 2nd disc sometime soon. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

It will be streaming on Anime Network soon: http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Shigofumi/Watch . But usually only the first two episodes are free and the rest require you to be a member. It will most likely be on YouTube as well, but probably as a paid rental.

I have to say that I loved this show. It pulled me in from the first episode and I had to try hard not to stay up all night and finish it in one sitting. The stories and writing are excellent and the musical score is incredible and fits the show perfectly.

I love how many of the stories were able to stand alone but all tied back to the overarching back story of Fumika and her status as a mail carrier. I also loved the darker themes the show explored. It did them in a much more fluid and believable manner than similar shows like Hell Girl. And like Hell Girl, this events in the story all start with a single act of vengeance but unlike HG the story comes full circle with an act of kindness.

This is an excellent release and after one or two aborted releases, I'm glad Sentai was able to bring it over. This is definitely a top-tier title in my book.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye out. Smile I like stuff like this. It's been awhile since I've purchased something of this type on a whim. So I'll keep it on my list until I've had a chance to check it out. Because it really looks interesting and something up my alley. Thanks again.
Wink
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Is the show consistently dark throughout, or is there some specks of light to be found from time to time? I don't really mind shows that are partially dark and depressing, but if Shigofumi is consistently so, my interest in it is going to take a very heavy hit.

It does have lighter moments and even a bit of comedy. It even does the ubiquitous "bathhouse episode" at one point. Unlike the comedy elements in the later seasons of Hell Girl, it doesn't feel forced though. So while the show does have dark elements, they are not overly depressing.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I heard about this before and wanted to try it out so I'll try to grab it off of Netflix or such like in the future.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a thoroughly irritating supporting character in the staff Kanaka

'Tis a shame that more non-living-object characters can't be as awesome as Hermes from Kino's Journey, but what can you do?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
A decent review of an excellent anime. Kudos for mentioning Hell Girl, which has some similar themes, un-kudos for using the word moe, which definitely doesn't belong here.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It does have lighter moments and even a bit of comedy. It even does the ubiquitous "bathhouse episode" at one point. Unlike the comedy elements in the later seasons of Hell Girl, it doesn't feel forced though. So while the show does have dark elements, they are not overly depressing.

Thank you. Maybe I'll give it a shot, then. (The concept did interest me somewhat when I first heard about it.)

One more question; does it have an ending, and if yes, is it a downer ending? A "yes", "sort of" or "no" is all I'm looking for, so no elaborate explanations in spoiler boxes is necessary.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Kudos for mentioning Hell Girl, which has some similar themes

The series seems to me to be best described as a mix between Hell Girl and Tegami Bachi.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Thank you. Maybe I'll give it a shot, then. (The concept did interest me somewhat when I first heard about it.)

One more question; does it have an ending, and if yes, is it a downer ending? A "yes", "sort of" or "no" is all I'm looking for, so no elaborate explanations in spoiler boxes is necessary.

The main storyline concludes completely.
Whether or not you take it as a downer is up to your interpretation of it.
Episode 13 is an OVA that tells a bit of "what happened" afterwards" that seems to have split people's opinions completely in two about whether it was positive or negative.

I would say, personally, that the end of the show left me very interested in seeing more about these characters and their lives... But I was also satisfied with what I had seen and didn't regret it was over.

The picture drama extras included in the release are a great way to "cool down" after watching the show, and actually do quite a lot to flesh out some character relationships that weren't delved into in the show that much.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a good series. I'll have to check it out....good thing they started streaming it ON Demand where I'm at. Smile
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It's similar in it's execution with Letter Bee, in a way. If you liked that, you might like this as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2