• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Laputa, Yamadas BD Confirmed to Have 6-7 Dubs, Subs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
I want to know what they mean by the english language will be a video extra, will I get to watch the blu-ray with the english audio, or will it be a separate video from the original, and if it is a separate video, will it be the same quality as the original, this is all part of the deciding factors I must know before I shell out the money for an import blu-ray, I would also like to know if it will ever be released in america, if it will, then I can wait, but if not, I will import it,
maus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
No dutch subs? I'm disappointed. Razz
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever imported a Region 2 anime, but I think I may need that Laputa disk. Well, I this is Blu Ray so luckily this is the same region, as a friend who went to Japan recently reminded me. I simply can't wait to see this in high def. Unless the US release is pretty close, I may have to get this Japanese disk. Well, .. back peddling.. unless the Japanese Blu Ray prices on these are as bad as I've heard other ones are... It might be worth the wait for my wallet.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
I want to know what they mean by the english language will be a video extra,

I'm confused about that too ... Isn't every non-Japanese dub and sub an "extra" technically? I don't get it.

But it freakin sounds awesome. I want to see the PIP storyboards.
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
I want to know what they mean by the english language will be a video extra,

I'm confused about that too ... Isn't every non-Japanese dub and sub an "extra" technically? I don't get it.

But it freakin sounds awesome. I want to see the PIP storyboards.

It's an extra because the English dub for Laputa has a different soundtrack than the original version of the movie.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well, I this is Blu Ray so luckily this is the same region
The recent Nausicaa BD release was region-free, so these are likely to be too.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
I really want to get that Laputa bluray. One of my favorite Ghibli movies.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Wait for the US release next year...

If you already have the previous DVD releases, enjoy them a bit longer.

Given the costs of upgrading, do you really want to pay 2X as much money so you can brag about having something 6 months earlier?

The US releases will be $25 tops at most home video outlets. You can expect to pay at least $70, if not $85 or more for the Japanese BDs!

Importation isn't worth it unless it's a movie/TV series that will absolutely NOT show up in your country and even in that case I'd prefer Engrish subtitles as opposed to no English translation at all.

The Ghiblis DVDs and BDs are a rarity in anime.... They actually have English subs. Most other anime DVD/BD releases in Japan don't.

The only Ghibli film I would probably get on Japanese BD would be "Only Yesterday" just because the Mouse won't even do a limited release in the US. The TCM airing of that film happened months before I bought a decent DVD recorder and I regret not even doing a bare-minimum VHS recording of it!
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
A US release for Nausicaa has yet to even be announced. And I am happily paying 1.5x-2x the price of a US import for the overall quality of the JP release. A nice case, excellent master, and every audio and subtitle track you could hope for. For me, the only value a US import would bring is an english menu, at the potential detriment of the case quality, and potentially the video quality (it should be possible to just use the existing encode, but that actually happens with annoying rarity).
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
A US release for Nausicaa has yet to even be announced. And I am happily paying 1.5x-2x the price of a US import for the overall quality of the JP release. A nice case, excellent master, and every audio and subtitle track you could hope for. For me, the only value a US import would bring is an english menu, at the potential detriment of the case quality, and potentially the video quality (it should be possible to just use the existing encode, but that actually happens with annoying rarity).

Yea, looks like the UK and Australia are getting some of these Blu-Rays, but an early August news report says the US still only has Ponyo so far.

Does anyone know -- is it wildly cheaper to go with a UK or Australian Blu-Ray compared to the average Japanese "Itano Circus to your bank account?"
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
I want to know what they mean by the english language will be a video extra...

gartholamundi wrote:
I'm confused about that too ...

I might be wrong but, I think it means that they're planning on using the film's English version (as it was presented on R1 DVD) and will put Japanese hard-subtitles on it; in which case, the likelyhood of it being in HD is virtually nihl.

Something similar happened with the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 BD, GitS 2.0 was given the full HD treatment, whereas the original version was in SD.

*sigh* Why couldn't Disney Japan just use the English version soundtrack with the HD print like before on the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind BD?

GeorgeC wrote:
Wait for the US release next year...
If Disney does decide to release more Ghibli BDs, they won't be coming next year, at least none of the older films anyway. We'll most likey see Tales of Earthsea and Karigurashi no Arrietty on BD before we see Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, or My Neighbors the Yamadas.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. I was just wondering about this a few days go. I hope that we get a release soon. Oh wait I have 'Castle in the Sky'. Damn I must be brain fried. Well, at least can I have the Yamadas.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
*sigh* Why couldn't Disney Japan just use the English version soundtrack with the HD print like before on the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind BD?

It should be a moot issue. The Japanese Ponyo Blu-ray release was similarly announced with the complete English-dubbed version (in HD) as a "special video extra." In both Ponyo and Laputa, there are significant differences in the English-dubbed versions compared to the original versions.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
In both Ponyo and Laputa, there are significant differences in the English-dubbed versions compared to the original versions.

The most major difference in Laputa's dub, of course, was one that was unfortunately recently omitted--the glorious reorchestration of Joe Hisaishi's new score. As much as I liked the dub in general, this new score was what REALLY made it soar. Taking it out of the dub (which is what Disney did for the film's recent 2010 DVD release) only succeeds in making the movie feel somewhat empty and less fresh. I wouldn't mind that the next release of this film has both the "unedited" Disney dub and the "updated" one just to compare the differences.

That said, is this Blue Ray version REALLY gonna contain Hisaishi's new score, if the info page is to be believed? I sure hope so, for since Miyazaki approved it, one could see the fleshed out score as a legitimate addition to the film.

I wasn't aware that there were any differences in Ponyo's dub other than the pop-song at the end of the film, and even then it hardly spoiled anything--it was, after all, during the latter half of the credits.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
Something similar happened with the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 BD, GitS 2.0 was given the full HD treatment, whereas the original version was in SD.
This only occured for the licensed release (which was not only an upscale, but an upscale from the laserdisc master), the JP release contained the pre-existing HD version of the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2