• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tegami Bachi Reverse Anime Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Think CR will stream it?
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Think CR will stream it?

Probably, they streamed the first series. Viz might try to stream it too though, or rather I hope that will happen. I wouldn't mind seeing a Tegami Bachi dub.

I wonder how far this series is going to go? Ideally it should end whenspoiler[Lag rescues Gauche from reverse], so there can be a third season. It would take a lot longer to come out than this one though...
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Think CR will stream it?

Fansub Wiki lists it as licensed by CR, which I believe may be based by a comment by a translator.
TwEeD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Well third season could then be mostly filler:
spoiler[The cold-letter division should spawn enough filler stories me thinks]
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I read what they put of the manga in Shonen Jump and I have to say that this series tries WAY too hard to be emotional.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Think CR will stream it?

Fansub Wiki lists it as licensed by CR, which I believe may be based by a comment by a translator.

I'm the translator (for season 1, anyway), and that comment wasn't made by me.

That being said it's a second season of a show CR streamed season 1 of, controlled by TV tokyo who is CR's closest partner...

In fact, has there ever been a case where the second season of a show wasn't streamed when the first season was?
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
agila61 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Think CR will stream it?

Its only a recollection of a second-hand comment in the members forum, so third hand. I only did a quick search for it today, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Quote:
That being said it's a second season of a show CR streamed season 1 of, controlled by TV tokyo who is CR's closest partner...

In fact, has there ever been a case where the second season of a show wasn't streamed when the first season was?

There isn't a tremendous amount of precedent yet, but Crunchy got Strike Witches 2, even after Funimation had licensed Strike Witches.

In any event, my general impression of the predilections of Japanese business committees is that approving a follow-up would be smoother than approving the original ~ especially if the make-up of the committee is the same.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
tl;dr: CR will probably have Letter Bee 2. Awesome.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Very interesting - let me ask was it your translations that seemed to forget that spoiler[Lag's mother had been imprisoned and his goal was to see/release her? Or the show's writers? This seemed to be all but forgotten about 1/3 of the way through] the first season. Just a small rant on another wise good anime.

I'm waiting for spin off show of the two best characters - Niche & Steaki
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Very interesting - let me ask was it your translations that seemed to forget that spoiler[Lag's mother had been imprisoned and his goal was to see/release her? Or the show's writers? This seemed to be all but forgotten about 1/3 of the way through] the first season. Just a small rant on another wise good anime.

I'm waiting for spin off show of the two best characters - Niche & Steaki

I don't make it my business to rewrite shows, I just translate them.

As for Lag searching for his mother: You have to admit at least that in the world of Amberground, you don't just up and head off out of town on a journey or head to the capital on a whim... that's just suicide.
The people in the society don't even really think like that.
Lag is dedicated to finding his mother/gauche, but he's decided to do so more intelligently, by doing his job and gaining contacts/experience first.
Unlike your typical shounen lead, who would just be like WHERE IS MY MOTHER! GIVE HER BACK! while banging on the gates to Akatsuki.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I'll correct the comment in the members forum at Crunchy (a member, not someone from Crunchy), which said:
Quote:
While there is no official announcement yet, it was stated by the translator on some site when season 1 ended.

Now that I've found it again, I see that rather than a vague recollection it was a vague original.
Bell02

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
I read what they put of the manga in Shonen Jump and I have to say that this series tries WAY too hard to be emotional.

Yeah it does, but the series gets a lot better in the middle. I don't know if it ever completely earns that emotional level that it wants, but it does get interesting and does generate honest feelings for the characters.

This series should start in that middle so I'm hoping it starts out with a bang. (no pun intended)
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

Yeah, that's the primary weakness of the show. Poor little abandoned boy struggling in a harsh and unfair fantasy world populated with enormous beasts that are attracted by human emotions is lots of opportunity for lots of emo, but going way over the top on every single thing weakens the impact.

Still, compared to Legends-Squared, the more recent poor little abandoned boy struggling in a harsh and unfair fantasy world, Tegami Bachi is a far more original world and more interesting story ... and the story is supposed to be going uphill from here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1