• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cobra, Jesus, Umezu Manga Released in English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdeformed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
$2.99 per chapter? What a joke.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Comic books usually cost 2.99-3.99 and have about the same amount [or 1/2 if the manga's a 48 page chapter] of content as those chapters. So it's not an entirely bad price. Given they've done cellphone manga in other markets, they probably have a decent idea what they're doing- they are offering more titles, so they must be doing okay. Keep in mind too, that some of these are new, never before in english translations, so that might be a factor in the cost.

And wow, an official licensed translation of Stop! Hibari-kun. That's news.

Jesus was published in PDF and print form by ComicsOne.... I think that edition of Cobra was originally published digitally in Japan.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the same price as a printed in full color American comic book. I don't see why the price cant be lowered since the most expensive part, printing, is out of the equation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
Yeah the same price as a printed in full color American comic book. I don't see why the price can't be lowered since the most expensive part, printing, is out of the equation.

Actually, that's about the price of a black and white printed comic book too- which generally used to cost more then colour comics in the past. It's only lately that they got up to the 2.99/3.99 price point.

Yes, printing is out of the equation, but-
-it'san experimental business that's only just started in our market, vs. an established one like the print market
-they still have to pay licensing fees, royalties, translation etc.

Not saying it couldn't be better, but people would still complain if it was 99 cents or 1.99 [I think the 1.99 isn't too bad, since that's what most of the single chapters on Comixology go for]. I'm guessing it might go down at some point [it is about 1.36 in Europe], but I see it moreso as them being cautious for now in the english market which is still pretty new to cellphone/digital market, and full of bootlegs.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait how does this system work?
How do you buy the digi-books or HOw are they downloaded?
Oh God I feel old and I am 17 years old -_-''
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Wait how does this system work?
How do you buy the digi-books or HOw are they downloaded?
Oh God I feel old and I am 17 years old -_-''

They're applications for cellphones- apparently they're available on iPhone, and other similar services. Not sure if they have a webbrowser service.....
http://itunes.apple.com/app/manga-magic-academy-miire/id307467795?mt=8 Looks like NTT is currently marketing these titles via Ipad/IpodTouch/iPhone.

Anyhoo, I know some of NTTSolmare's titles have popped up on kindle, mostly titles from the artist Solaruru, and at lower prices then the Apple versions- so I'm guessing we might see some of these pop up on kindle once the rights/pricing is worked out, if NTT decides to expand on that market. Kindle has PC-application you can download to read kindle purchases on other devices.

Also, Solaruru's titles are less than 2.99- I'm guessing it may be that she(?) makes these titles for NTT directly, so that may be part oft he price difference
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, I want to read Cobra but don't want to have to buy another device to view this stuff. Why can't they make the stuff work through itunes or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Is that COBRA the classic series or the new one?
Also I am very interested in Stop! Hibari Kun, $2.99 per book is a pretty good price IMO.
Anyway.. I am not so good with the technical stuff so.. I have Itunes, would that suffice or what else do I need?
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
How many volumes (out of the 36 volumes) of Cyborg 009 have been released on the iTunes store? Has the complete series been released? Also, have the complete Appleseed and Itazura na kiss series been released on iTunes?
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
Wha? Cobra? In ENGLISH?! :O But, of course, it's locked up behind the iron tentacles of Apple... >_> Hmph.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1