• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk, Index II, KamiNomi Promos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
A couple observations/opinions:

• Based on the animation quality in the first video, you'd think this was something other than a television series.
  • But then the scene with Zodd in the second video is rendered entirely in really crappy CG, so who's to say...
  • The videos contain scenes both before and after the eclipse.
johnmora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
So wait a second, the animated project is just a few commercials promoting a release of the manga?

Really?
drdr48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
Oh no, when I heard "full-CG" That's what I was afraid of :/

As with most Anime, the CGI creatures movement seem off and it comes out ugly..

And it doesn't look like high budget CGI but low budget CGI (as always with Anime) :/
Rednal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Looking through the associated videos for Index, the one that says "Program Propoganda" on the end seems to be a longer trailer for Index Season 2...
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
So judging by the second Berserk commercial, those screencaps that were posted a long time ago are real. I wonder why they're just now announcing this project.
Keyl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:

And it doesn't look like high budget CGI but low budget CGI (as always with Anime) :/

i thought Envy's big creature form had some great CGI in it. so i think it depends on the studio?
drdr48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Keyl wrote:
drdr48 wrote:

i thought Envy's big creature form had some great CGI in it. so i think it depends on the studio?

What are you talking about!?

Envy's true form in Brotherhood was made of poor CGI and was damn ugly, especially compare to how bad-ass he looked in the Manga :/
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Everything in that scene appears to be CG including the background and the Hawks Raiders. It's all really ugly looking.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I was really excited about this project when I first heard about it but now I'm kind of scared. Is this suppose to be a remake anime series, a second season, or just some promotional thing? As for the CG thing I feel it is unnecessary. Berserk was fine as it was I don't see the need for changes. That's why I hate CG especially low budget kind. It always ruins a movie or show if not done properly and most companies rely on it instead of a quality plot and story.

*End rant*

I'm praying this Berserk series whatever it may be isn't a mistake. Don't ruin a good thing people!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
And then the hopes of decent CG animation that I saw in the first Berserk commercial were dashed upon seeing the awful CG Zodd in this one. What the hell happened?!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Third Berserk clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWibBuWvZbA

Lots of discussion in the old thread:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=135318&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The text in the ads translates to, approximately:
Quote:
1 - "Berserk Begins", or "Berserk - A beginning"
2 - "Berserk Rebirth"
3 - "Fetal Movement" or "Quickening"
(Thanks to posters in the skullknight.net forum thread).

Definitely points to a full 'rebooted' anime project. Would explain why so much work has been done (when you include the extra leaked images, it's a lot of different scenes and models for a few 15-second ads), why mostly Golden Age material is being used to promote the 35th manga volume, and (partly) why the project has been in the works since 2008. If it was just test footage, or made solely for advertising purposes, the lip movement in the third ad would be a bit strange too.

Edit: By the way, since the Zodd clip was done in 2008, it's not impossible that it could be improved yet. Since the Griffith and Casca clips weren't shown in 2008, they may be more recent, which could explain their higher-quality CG.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
So far, everyone is complaining about CG. So I'm going to against what everyone thinks.

I think everyone is fed with in silver spoon when it comes to recent development in visual quality of CG animation.

Japanese doesn't have long history with CG, but I think they manage pretty well. If everyone wants that hand-drawn look of cel, then pray for someone with really deep pocket who have money to hire 1,000+ animators. Due to not enough animators in Japan, there is no way in the hell that they'll find talented animators to draw crowd scenes which Berserk is peppered with.

I think that Zodd's CG looks pretty ok by its emphasis on furry texture. I do admit that CG animation was way too smooth against traditional 2D animation, but the first Berserk series didn't even have Zodd with swinging arms due to very limited TV budget.

It seems like people always unfairly compare graphic details of comic with graphic details of animation. Animation always expresses motion over graphic detail. Even the highest budget Anime feature films don't have that much graphic details except extreme close ups. If it omits certain graphic details, such as texture of character's notched sword, while favors convincing swing of the sword, then who's going to see that notch in 1/24th of a second?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The third clip is now up in higher quality on the official site.
http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/cm/index.html

By the way, a couple of random things: One of the posts on the official Twitter account for the Berserk animation project:
Quote:
Followers who, I'm really surprised at the many foreigners.
If you have an account, might be interesting to follow them and show just how much international interest there is Smile.

Also, the guy who originally released the leaked screenshots made a new post here a couple of days ago.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
g0rth0r wrote:
Good job guys ! Our voice has been heard and one of the latest post on the official twitter account reveal that they decided to post in English starting from next week due to the vast amount of foreigners followers.

They also said that next clip will be a recap of clip A,B,C, but GACKT narration will be different (and might contain some "hints").

Anyway, I've opened a blog for the only purpose to post anything related to that : http://berserk2010.blogspot.com/ on which I translate the latest Twitter posts and write various thing about the trailer, etc. So yeah, come take a look !
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/cm/index.html

The fact that they didn't show three shots from the leaked images, opting instead to repeat two clips (...one of which was already repeated earlier...) further proves that there's a larger project than just this advertising campaign. Why go to the trouble of modelling Puck, etc., if you're not going to use them? It's not as if they couldn't have shown a gory scene in the web-exclusive ad... the same website has the first chapter of Berserk available for viewing.

Many are expecting an official announcement in the next issue of Young Animal, due to be released soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2