• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Lance, A Lot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I mean, come on, there's a track in the soundtrack that's just "ESCA-FLOW-NAY" repeated over and over again, and it's the most prominent track in the whole series.
Ah, I thought that was in Canadian: Escaflown, ey? Thanks heaps.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Wait so Khara doesn't need Gainax for the completion of the films, will there any big difference.

And I'll rise that hundred for two hundred! I just want to enjoy the films.

Gainax is at some level involved in animating the films, but I don't know specifically. I'm just not worried about Khara and Gainax falling out, hence the bet. Smile

lheiskell wrote:
... still watching the Texas Rangers post-game celebration

That 4 games or 5 they've won now? (Pretend Yankees fan here)

einhorn303 wrote:
Do you mean out in theaters or out on home video?

Oops, uh, right, meant theaters.

CareyGrant wrote:
I mean, it's popular, it sells, why did Japan never finish the series with a second or third or ? season?

Never say never. Only a couple weeks ago nobody expected a new Berserk project. Razz
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
GAH! Okay, so no news on noitaminA yet. Evil or Very Mad

Well, I'm still holding off on Kuragehime fansubs, but if you don't say yes or no sometimes soon... I know you've got stress right now what with the sale and all, but there's keeping your fans in the loop, ya know?

Well, I think he said there would be an announcement after the podcast, but I'm not sure now since there wasn't an announcement anywhere.

I kind of got the impression that the plethora of simulcasts was overextending Funimation's translators. I also got the impression that simulcasting wasn't really bringing in the revenue to make it worthwhile. It might explain the lack of simulcast announcements.

Seeing as how Mr. Heiskell stated that streaming was basically an augment to physical sales, I'm guessing that it wouldn't make fiscal sense for them to pay for streaming-only simulcast licenses. That makes me kind of sad, but I can understand why they would pass on them if that is the case.

Of course, these are just my conclusions, as Mr. Heiskall never came out and said anything directly about this.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
Lance talking about Witchblade's great sales wrote:
I think it's a breast seller.

Ba dum, TSH.....

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
If Fruits Baskets continues to do well, improving with each subsequent release, then someone please explain to me WHY they never finished the damned anime?!

It's long enough ago now that I can say this: The reason there will never be any more Fruits Basket anime is because Akitaroh Daichi and Natsuki Takaya drove each other crazy. Daichi hates the things she insisted on (the voice cast, for example... he hates established seiyuu and never uses them for main roles if he has a choice), and she doesn't like the anime and has a lot of nit-picks (like, she never told them that Kyo's bracelet is supposed to be white and red, not white and black) but probably more accurately just hates Daichi's trademark spastic comedic streak that's so prominent in the show. It's my understanding that neither one remembers the experience fondly, and so I doubt either one is up to trying again years later.

So yeah, no more Fruits Basket anime. But hey, with the economy, who knows. People get desperate.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
God damn it. Not even a mention of House of Five Leaves or Tatami Galaxy (or Rainbow or Shiki for that matter). Of course [expletive] Railgun is getting a DVD release though. Rolling Eyes And on top of that Funi's noitaminA deal is apparently still kicking. I guess that means we won't be seeing any DVD releases for the next few noitaminA shows either. This really blows. Funimation needs to get the hell out of the simulcasting business. If you can't be bothered to do it right then at least stop cock blocking other companies from picking up these shows.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
Crap, I was hoping someone'd ask him if they ever plan on re-releasing some of their ADV acquisitions (but more importantly, Pani Poni Dash!) with the special features they took out.

Curse my work schedule.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
God damn it. Not even a mention of House of Five Leaves or Tatami Galaxy (or Rainbow or Shiki for that matter). Of course [expletive] Railgun is getting a DVD release though. Rolling Eyes And on top of that Funi's noitaminA deal is apparently still kicking. I guess that means we won't be seeing any DVD releases for the next few noitaminA shows either. This really blows. Funimation needs to get the hell out of the simulcasting business. If you can't be bothered to do it right then at least stop cock blocking other companies from picking up these shows.

...I'm sure the whole thing is alot more complicated then you think. Be a little more patient
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
If Fruits Baskets continues to do well, improving with each subsequent release, then someone please explain to me WHY they never finished the damned anime?!

It's long enough ago now that I can say this: The reason there will never be any more Fruits Basket anime is because Akitaroh Daichi and Natsuki Takaya drove each other crazy. Daichi hates the things she insisted on (the voice cast, for example... he hates established seiyuu and never uses them for main roles if he has a choice), and she doesn't like the anime and has a lot of nit-picks (like, she never told them that Kyo's bracelet is supposed to be white and red, not white and black) but probably more accurately just hates Daichi's trademark spastic comedic streak that's so prominent in the show. It's my understanding that neither one remembers the experience fondly, and so I doubt either one is up to trying again years later.

So yeah, no more Fruits Basket anime. But hey, with the economy, who knows. People get desperate.

Oh... Then I'll say a prayer to the Poverty God.

It's kinda surprising the show was such a hit in spite of how much they hated it (and each other).
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

It's long enough ago now that I can say this: The reason there will never be any more Fruits Basket anime is because Akitaroh Daichi and Natsuki Takaya drove each other crazy. Daichi hates the things she insisted on [etc]

Interesting. But how do you know?

I think there is at least one other reason. Because nothing forces them not to do another anime season / series with a different director / studio etc. It's just that there are very few shojo animes in general, and most of them only cover a certain part of its manga counterpart (all recent ones I can think of), and very few get a second season (only Kimi ni todoke, Black Butler and Vampire Knight come to mind right now).

I think many of these series aim to introduce new readers to the manga, who will then continue reading the manga after the anime is finished (I mean, in the final episode of Skip Beat, they even show you all the new characters, which you will never see in the anime, or at least not very soon. That looked to me like a "hint" saying "and now, go read the manga!" )
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:40 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Well, I think he said there would be an announcement after the podcast, but I'm not sure now since there wasn't an announcement anywhere.

He could mean not directly after the podcast, but a day/days/week "after" the podcast.

I just hope Funi decides that Fractale is worth an R1 home video release. That's the only noitaminA I care about. It seems it will scratch a sort of Lain/Mushishi sort of vibe that could do well in R1.

Takeyo wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
female fujoshi

As opposed to . . . ? Wink

Just trying to provide some context clues in case people aren't familiar with the term.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
...I'm sure the whole thing is alot more complicated then you think. Be a little more patient

How exactly is it 'more complicated'? Please do enlighten me with your actual reason before you tell me what to do. Also don't talk to me about patience. I was patient when they offered me no decent streaming option. I was patient when they hedged on acquiring the DVD rights initially despite picking up shit like Vampire Bund the previous season while it was still airing. I was patient while they picked up a half dozen different garbage harem series for a dubbed DVD release since then. Now I'm out of [expletive] patience.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
"Vampire Girl VS. Frankenstein Girl" was hilarious. Not anime, but highly recommended.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

How exactly is it 'more complicated'? Please do enlighten me with your actual reason before you tell me what to do. Also don't talk to me about patience. I was patient when they offered me no decent streaming option. I was patient when they hedged on acquiring the DVD rights initially despite picking up shit like Vampire Bund the previous season while it was still airing. I was patient while they picked up a half dozen different garbage harem series for a dubbed DVD release since then. Now I'm out of [expletive] patience.

Well I don't know honestly. Don't know too much about the business or what goes behind the scenes. I think streaming rights and DVD rights are two seperate things I suppose? Legal red tape and all that.

You really should calm down though man. I mean, why get all hung up and declare they burn just over a couple shows? I'd like to get a few of the things you mentioned on DVD too, but I'm certainly not going to go through some kind of monstrous withdrawls if I don't get them on my shelves soon. I'll just watch something else in the meantime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
One thing I would say as someone who still buys and collects physical media in regards to the premium packing thing is that personally I only spend the extra cost on that kinda stuff based on the title. For example I would definitely pay extra for some sort of "collectors" edition of Evangelion or Summer Wars but would not for a title like Birdy The Mighty or Full Metal Panic (just as an example). I'm hoping we get a nice box for FMA Brotherhood when that finishes up is another good example, it really just depends on how much I like a title. I mean I actually paid $10 just for the Claymore box on a Rightstuf sale even though I already had the whole thing on DVD (the first issue boxes not the complete series).

Also I'm glad to hear Funimation did not fall into this Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy pack thing either. I hate having to spend the extra cash on those when all I really want is the Blu-Ray (I'm looking at you Disney/Pixar). I don't mind having a digital copy for some movies since I have an iPad, but with anime it's probably not worth it as with most anime fans it probably would not matter.

I think you bring up a couple of good points. While collectors do tend to enjoy the fun extras, not all shows are necessarily worthy of such treatment. Obviously, it's not easy to know for sure what is necessarily popular enough to warrant such a release, but I think that it'll be very important to get a firm handle on it if these are going to have a shot.

Also, I'm right there with you on the whole multiple copy thing. Ultimately, I'm going to watch in my preferred format. If I want the show on blu-ray I'm probably not going to ever use the DVD that came with it, and end up resenting the fact that I paid extra for something I never wanted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11