• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli to Announce New Work on December 15

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
Oh great. Another cute & fluffy or happy-go-lucky movie. Why can't there be another kickass anime movie like Akira, GITS, Steamboy, Metropolis or Golgo 13. They're much better than anything Ghibli's done.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
i love these announcements for future announcements which say that something will eventually be said.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Ghibli, has there been any word on The Borrowers getting released outside of Japan?

the-antihero wrote:
Oh great. Another cute & fluffy or happy-go-lucky movie. Why can't there be another kickass anime movie like Akira, GITS, Steamboy, Metropolis or Golgo 13. They're much better than anything Ghibli's done.

I guess we'll have to campaign against that law that makes it illegal for Ghibli and other animation studios to work on projects simultaneously.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Ah, those halcyon days when being ultra-violent (or touched by Otomo) was considered an automatic seal of maturity and quality...
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Check out "King of Thorn" and "Mardock Scramble: The First Compression", two anime feature films from this year that I've heard are cool, dark action/sci-fi fun. Those might be more to your taste?

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that all Ghibli movies are automatically cute and friendly, though; Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa were hardly Ponyo!
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Despite popular belief, some of us would actually like "another cute & fluffy or happy-go-lucky movie" by studio Ghibli.
Granted I own Metropolis (good film indeed), but there's more to life then just violent anime films.

It's kind of nice when a friendly anime movie gets some attention from time to time....especially because Ghibli films seem to be the ONLY "cute & fluffy happy-go-lucky" anime movies that ever get any release in the states. 85% of the anime that's released here is extremely violent and kickass....so I really don't understand your statement all to well......

I've seen both Akira and Steamboy too....both had some really nice animation. I've seen all three versions of Akira AND read the manga and.....

......I STILL dont get it.

Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:
i love these announcements for future announcements which say that something will eventually be said.

Laughing I had the exact same thought. I mean, I guess there is some publicity value in focusing people's attention on the upcoming announcement (i.e. building up anticipation) but it's a practice I personally find irritating.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
That's good news. So keep us posted. I want to see something a little more gutsy.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Like one previous poster stated, Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind were both made by Studio Ghibli and neither can even begin to be considered "cute & fluffy+happy-go-lucky." And at that, they're better movies anything you just listed--you should educated yourself a bit better as to what Ghibli's made before you spout off any more ignorant ****.

Edit: At the below post, damn--can't believe I forgot about Grave of the Fireflies. That's another one.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Hmmm.... I agree that we need more movies like Akira and GiTS (not so fond of those other movies), but not every Ghibli movie is "cute & fluffy or happy-go-lucky."

Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa... all good examples.

Either way, I'm happy to see more from Ghibli, and while Ponyo was very cute, I certainly hope this movie is aimed at an older demographic.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to officially announce that I will be announcing my opinion on Ghibli's new work on December 15. I cannot say anything beyond that yet about my opinion on Ghibli's new work. It is currently unclear whether my opinion on their new work refers to a new work directed by Miyazaki or another creator.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
@ikillchicken, it is unclear to me how you will formulate an opinion on Ghibli's new work when their announcement clearly only announces further announcements.

i would have understood you saying you were prepared to have an opinion on their announcement on December 15, but clearly your chicken-killing powers are greater than i had ever imagined. they must, in fact, include being able to experience Ghibli's new work before it is completed.

unless ... you meant that their work would be the announcement -- i'm sure for someone at that company the announcement probably is work. in which case i apologize to you utterly for misunderstanding, and will quickly put on my chicken suit.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

Lol steamboy and Metropolis? your kidding right, well I quess quality is obviously unimportant to you, but there are plenty of anime titles filled with action and sex, without any of that writing crap that gets in the way, so I spose just ignore this, and enjoy your shlock
rwarwick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I loathed steamboy, it wasn't even violent! spoiler[Though I'm sure a lot of people died when failcastle froze london and then crashed]

I like Ponyo, also, the fish waves were very awesome looking.

Did anyone see this Earthsea thing? How was it? I didn't get a chance to since it played for like, a day Rolling Eyes

As for the actual article we're supposed to be discussing, I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to eagerly await the creation of a film.

Last edited by rwarwick on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

33 posts and you're already outed. Gee, thanks for playing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2