• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back From Another Dimension

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Urusawa

C'mon. You write a whole spout on him and you can't even get his name right? Urasawa. Naoki Urasawa. Yall seem to do this quite often with his name, as I've caught it previously on some news posts as well :\

I'm quite the fan of Urasawa, and it truly is sad that the anime fails in America -- but at least Monster got a full run on US TV, which a lot of shows don't even get anymore. Plus, you can still watch it on Hulu, so try to send some people there to watch it (I know I try as often as I can Razz)
Akukame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Has Rozen Maiden compensated for its years of being off the broadcast airwaves by selling boatloads of DVDs and books and manga and CDs and assorted merchandise? Nope. Sorry, no second season.

Technically speaking, Rozen Maiden already got a second season a year and a half after its broadcast. Followed by an OVA series a year after that. It think it already got milked and is through with. It didn't get a movie or anything, but it pretty much got as much in the way of sequels as Haruhi did.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Has Rozen Maiden compensated for its years of being off the broadcast airwaves by selling boatloads of DVDs and books and manga and CDs and assorted merchandise? Nope. Sorry, no second season.

I completely agree with your overall point. However, you should never say never. I mean, has Fafner compensated for it's years of being off the air by doing any of that? Nope. But it's getting a sequel. Go figure. Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
What drags me out of a story quickly?

Riari baddo ingurisshu, when not used for comic effect. And conversely, complete butcherings of Japanese names in English dubs.

For the former, I'm thrilled whenever a company hires an actual English speaker (Eden of the East) instead of letting their actors make idiots of themselves (Black Lagoon).

For the latter, seriously, how hard is it to listen and repeat a freakin' name? Dub directors, do your damn jobs! It's KAH-go-may, not kuh-GO-mee. GYARGH*froth*!!!
gordok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Though I could not reply to last week's question about anime that got emotional reaction, I was happy to see the respondants included a few of my ("obscure") favorites: e.g., Pretty Sammy TV, MADLAX, Maison Ikoku and Elfin Lied. My reasons for reacting might not always agree, but these shows did deliver some hefty emotional punches.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
For the latter, seriously, how hard is it to listen and repeat a freakin' name? Dub directors, do your damn jobs! It's KAH-go-may, not kuh-GO-mee. GYARGH*froth*!!!

I had a friend whose mom was Mexican and she could never say my name right. My name is Aaron. Air-en. Simple, right? Yet she always pronounced it Eh-rone.

So yea, it's more difficult than you think for people who aren't native to the language or study it (like I believe you do). I get why it'd annoy you, but you shouldn't be angry at the Americans who can't pronounce a Japanese name correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

I had a friend whose mom was Mexican and she could never say my name right. My name is Aaron. Air-en. Simple, right? Yet she always pronounced it Eh-rone.

So yea, it's more difficult than you think for people who aren't native to the language or study it (like I believe you do). I get why it'd annoy you, but you shouldn't be angry at the Americans who can't pronounce a Japanese name correctly.

But see, that's why I picked the most egregious example I could think of. I don't care that English dub actors don't bother pronouncing "r" in the "correct" way (or "f" for that matter), and I've even given up and had to face the fact that Americans think all accents fall on penultimate syllables. But when you botch the whole thing, and have two sounds that are radically different, like "may" and "mee," both of which are completely compatible to the English language, and you **** it up, somebody is not doing their job properly. It's as bad as the riari baddo ingurishu. It means somebody just didn't care, and drags me out of the story as a result.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I didn't read the Answerfans question last week - I probably would've submitted one.

But people might balk at me crying over Zatch Bell!, of all things.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Master Keaton (the Anime; haven't read the Manga). As I was watching it I would constantly be entertained, and informed, but also impressed as to just how down-to-Earth it was. Here was a show where - by and large - the author had done the research, with scenarios that weren't too fantastic to be engrossing. The episodic nature of the series didn't harm it, far from it. In fact, a proper running plot would have significantly impaired the show, as Keaton probably would have ended up fighting some global conspiracy or other such nonsense. Such a series' structure meant that the audience was always being introduced to new locations and fresh characters. The characters seemed like real - although sometimes eccentric - people, with their idiosyncrasies and their flaws and their regrets. And the places that Keaton visited were so varied; insurance investigators sure get around. I did like the focus on Europe, as it made a change from the understandable but also recycled Japanese settings.

On another note entirely, I should have submitted something for this week's Hey, Answerfans! segment. Then there could have been three people who mentioned RahXephon, rather than the still-impressive two. I just want to know where Neal and Whitakker are hiding; us three should unite.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Yay! My question got used! I feel special...
*slips out because he's adding nothing to the conversation*
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My question is about the lack of success that Anime based on Naoki Urasawa Manga seems to be having in America. Both Yawara and Monster were licensed and had first box sets put out in America but it seems safe to say that the remainder of both series will never see the light of day, as dvd sets.

Well, from my limited experience w/ Urasawa, Yawara has crappy theme songs, Monster seems more obsessed with flashy dramatics than substance, and 20CB tends to be self-absorbed. I do like Pluto, though, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the fact that Urasawa had to re-write someone else's work, rather than insert the usual Urasawa-isms which kill his narrative. Oh, and I did want to like Keaton, but it can't decide whether it's a weekly serial, a Antiques Roadshow-style treasure hunt, or a thriller. But it might help his work to get that Hollywood movie version of Monster off the ground, unless the screenwriter screws it up in the same way he did with A History of Violence, of course. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
So my question is, why the **** would the guy go back to the rigors and constant stress of working on a weekly manga? Specifically, the most popular weekly manga in the entire world? I can definitely see the guy drawing another one-shot, one-volume manga story or two, but to jump right back in the saddle of Dragon Ball after all these years? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, the only real reason would be to wash the taste of DB:E out of the fans' mouths. Laughing I'm just wondering how(or if) his kids will exploit the franchise when he passes away.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
By the way, Whitakker isn't kidding about his Spoiler Warning, so skip ahead if you haven't seen the following shows:

Which are the "following shows"? Ah, the ones mentioned right after the spoilers (well, not so much #1, but definitely #2).

It might help if you listed the show titles in the text that you wrote above. If people have to read the spoilers in the emailed answer to find out if they're going to be spoiled, it's kinda silly.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Story of Saiunkoku got me in 2 different places. I really, really hate it because I know it's a fricken fake story-don't go pulling on my heartstrings. I'm also of a generation where gals using tears to get their way really, really pisses me off so yeah, I don't cry a lot.
I'd seen the anime so I knew what sort of childhood Ryuki had, but reading Vol 1 of the manga, I teared up.
Then Sa Sakujun. I ran thru the dvd to get the cast list & ended up watching bits here & there & caught his big scene under the tree & balled my eyes out. Then when I watched the dvd all the way thru & had already seen it, I cried again.

xScar-unless he's corrected part of it, Urusawa's spelled Urasawa in the next sentance so it looks like a typo.

I agree we do not need any more DBZ. Toriyama's covered it. Why go back? I believe knowing when the story is done is a big part of the author's craft. It's rather sad when a series drags on past a good ending

Titles coming back? Something like FMA they diverged early enough on to make it worthwhile. Other stuff have that fond childhood memory nostalgia thing going. Face it-every title has fans. The question is whether there's enough to make a re-do worth while.
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi is an 'older' series now? Good grief.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Haruhi is an 'older' series now? Good grief.

Thank you my thought exactly. There are plenty of anime that have 2-4 yrs between seasons for a number of reasons..mostly I think from unknow success and no material written yet. Wasn't that Haruhi's deal somewhat - they couldn't do a second season right way since the light novels the anime is based on hadn't yet been written yet for a second season of material.

Though a better thought would be Trigun getting a movie 10yrs after the series ended.

No question the remakes/OVAs/seasons and such for successful franchises are the safe bet. We're seeing a lot more of it now I'll agree. But I sure hope I see a second season of Skip Beat before any more Rozen Maiden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4