• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Magical Index (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
So, will there be a separate thread for Index II, or will discussion continue here?

Anyway, this is a great reintroduction to the world of Index and the multi-layered intrigue within.

First off, spoiler[Touma's and Index's interaction is as cute as ever, with Touma stressing about getting all his summer homework done in one day and Index focused on where her next meal is coming from. Hey, he's a procrastinator, just like me!]

You better bet the introduction of the spoiler[guy with the Shinto bow will lead to a multi-episode arc, and it may stretch throughout the series.]

From the first series, I realized how dangerous spoiler[Index's magical knowledge was, but not to the extent it was shown. The bowman had to be an expert magician, yet he couldn't handle one volume of Index's 103,000 of them. Scary.]

Oooh, somebody's got a crush on Touma!

And yet again spoiler[Touma goes tearing off on a mission he knows nothing about before hand -- and he wonders why he's surrounded by such misfortune. Tch.]

The part following the credits which re-intros spoiler[Kaori Kanzaki and Motoharu Tsuchimikado intrigues me as well. What do knights from England have to do with Academy City and the ongoing struggle between science and magic?]

I also liked both the opening and closing songs, though Index I opening 2 is still my favorite. Animation continues to be top-notch, and the story is strong. I will definitely be following this one.
not

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
Whelp, it looks like the discussion will continue here.

I have to say I watched this episode three times today, allowing for proper gaming time in between, and this season has got me going. I was waiting for work to end all day today to get to watch this.

I love the new OP and ED. I think that "No Buts!" is a good contender for "Masterpiece" for my favorite OPs of the show so far.

You just gotta love Misaka. Her feelings after the mock-date weren't illustrated that well at the end of season one's arc as she was only there for a blip to meet Index and whatnot. But this episode showed us where she is at. Just the greatest interactions between them.

I can't wait 'til next week to pick up some more of this. I really can't help myself when it comes to this show.
killmyself

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote
The first episode was a solid reintroduction of the two main characters and spoiler[ a new ally.] Hopefully they jump right into the next arc and don't waste episodes on reintroducing the fringe characters. I don't see what was so great about the OP it was a slightly more than serviceable effort, the benchmark for greatness in OPs is what the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei series did and this doesn't rate high on the SZS scale.

The show looks good so far and I'm optimistic that they won't fudge it up like they did Toaru Kagaku No Railgun. I rarely like action anime at all and loved the first Toaru Majutsu No Index so it would be great if they can live up to their own standard.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
Yep, don't have much to add except to say I liked the episode and am delighted to be back in this world. I love the way Index's seiyuu draws out the name "Touma" every time she's peeved with him. Can't wait to hear the dub for the first season when it comes out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
I guess this episode was mostly to bring the sereis back, not really anything big just a highlight of the 103,000 books, Touma's bad luck and Mikoto after the "date" which this is comeing after. From the OP given it looks like there will be a bunch of new characters, probably for new arcs, but apart from that it looks like Mikoto and Accelerator will also play some good parts.

Looks like Mikoto will be trying to pursue Touma, kind of funny seeing her so flabbergasted since she is usually so pridefull. Also looks like one particular picture of a woman Mikoto's mother will probably make an appearance. But we also got quite a bit of screen time of Sphinx though, I laughed how spoiler[Touma was eagerly following the cat to find Index, and turned the corner to find it in the garbage with fishbones in it's mouth.]

I am kind of hopeing that they will be able to use what they learnet with Railgun to make this season as good as possible. Pluss I would not mind Uiharu and Saten to make a cameo, they grew onto me, well Uiharu made it into both the OP abd ED, though I don't think I saw Saten in either.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Thought this was a nice episode to ease you back in. Pretty sure this was mostly filler aside from the last few minutes which obviously were setting up the next arc.

Quote:
I am kind of hopeing that they will be able to use what they learnet with Railgun to make this season as good as possible.

Which is what? The shows run a on fairly different formats.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Thought this was a nice episode to ease you back in. Pretty sure this was mostly filler aside from the last few minutes which obviously were setting up the next arc.

Quote:
I am kind of hopeing that they will be able to use what they learnet with Railgun to make this season as good as possible.

well i heard that this story takes place between the date storyline in the first series and that last arc in the first series, which they skipped for some reason. can't say for sure though since i don't read the light novels.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Quote:

Well I don't know about you, but with Railgun some episode left me just thinking how cool it was, much more then I did in Index's first season. I also felt a lot less bored in Railgun, it might just be a change in moe levels, or it might be certain character interactions.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
Well I can see preferring Railgun's action. The fights were drawn out better, and Misaka's powers make for a far more interesting fight than Touma's. Not sure about interactions though. Moe levels are about the same.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Might seem a silly question to ask: But why call the series "A Certain Magical Index" when much of the first season focused around Touma's involvement in various situations involving the worlds of magic and science? Because spoiler[once the first arc from the first season involving Index's situation was resolved, her role was reduced to a secondary comic relief role for much of the remainder of the series.] Seems more tempting to call it "A Certain Imagine Breaker" in this case. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
not

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
killmyself wrote:
I don't see what was so great about the OP it was a slightly more than serviceable effort, the benchmark for greatness in OPs is what the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei series did and this doesn't rate high on the SZS scale.

I don't think anything can compare to the God-Tier SHAFT established on the final Zan SZS OVA, but for a J.C. Staff show, it was definitely one of their better themes. Also, I am a Mami Kawada fan and it sounds great. Wink
Zork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most people here that the first episode of season two seems like a worthy succesor to season 1. I do have a slight issue with Touma, however.

Does anyone else feel his character, with the ability to negate both magic and physic abilities, is a little over powered?

It would seem the best way to fight Touma would be using no magic or physic abilities, but everyone he fights doesn't do that, even though they know about his Imagine Breaker ability.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this just fine... although it once again demonstrates my pet peeve of the series, the bad guys (at least the "level bosses") are all the same. They act all evil- really evil, kill whoever is in the way evil, then we find out they have a reason and, almost always, if they came to our heroes for help it wouldn't have been so bad- and they're not so evil any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
I agree with most people here that the first episode of season two seems like a worthy succesor to season 1. I do have a slight issue with Touma, however.

Does anyone else feel his character, with the ability to negate both magic and physic abilities, is a little over powered?

It would seem the best way to fight Touma would be using no magic or physic abilities, but everyone he fights doesn't do that, even though they know about his Imagine Breaker ability.

it does seem like its over powered but its also limited since he actually has to make contact with the ability and that's not always easy. 1 moment that comes to mind was when that one guy used an ability too fast to stop and actually managed to spoiler[cut off touma's arm].

but yeah I'm pretty sure the times touma lost a fight were when his opponent didn't use any magic or esper ability which is kind of funny when you think about it.
killmyself

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
not wrote:
killmyself wrote:
I don't see what was so great about the OP it was a slightly more than serviceable effort, the benchmark for greatness in OPs is what the Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei series did and this doesn't rate high on the SZS scale.

I don't think anything can compare to the God-Tier SHAFT established on the final Zan SZS OVA, but for a J.C. Staff show, it was definitely one of their better themes. Also, I am a Mami Kawada fan and it sounds great. Wink

Well obviously that OP shits all over the entirety of anime but even what SHAFT did with Zoku puts this to shame. As far as JC Staff goes I thought the original Toaru Kagaku No Railgun song and OP were vastly superior to this.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Might seem a silly question to ask: But why call the series "A Certain Magical Index" when much of the first season focused around Touma's involvement in various situations involving the worlds of magic and science? Because spoiler[once the first arc from the first season involving Index's situation was resolved, her role was reduced to a secondary comic relief role for much of the remainder of the series.] Seems more tempting to call it "A Certain Imagine Breaker" in this case. Laughing

The show has always been about Touma. Index is the catalyst for all of the changes in Touma's life which is why she gets top billing even if she isn't really even a second lead.

Zork wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is the point. The first season pretty much confirmed that the imagine breaker is neither an esper power nor magic. So he is supposed to represent the balancing force between the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 32