• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sankarea (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote

Sankarea

Plot Summary: Furuya's obsessed with zombies. He collects any figurines, watches any movie, and plays any game with the living dead, and is even only interested in zombie girls. When his cat dies, Furuya begins trying to raise it from the dead using an ancient book of the occult he bought from a shop. But what will happen when he sees the idol of a nearby all girl's school walking close to where he conducts his experiment, wishing to die and be reborn as a different person?
(Source: MangaUpdates)

12 Episodes
Romance, Comedy, Supernatural, Shounen

Ep. 1
as a fan of the manga i'm liking the adaptation, good visuals and sound, good plot adaptation and an OP that sends me back in time to Hanasaku Iroha, all in all i'm pleased with the way it started, although for non-manga fans i think a second/double episode may have been necessary, one doesn't quite get things going enough for those unfamiliar with the series, they'll probably need to stick with it for maybe 3 episodes for it to get to the point where you can properly evaluate it

Last edited by Volibear on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this show, just because it's going to be the first anime I've ever watched where I've seen the source material first. There are signs the show is going to take itself a bit more seriously than the source material, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

As for the first episode... there are daddy issues, and then there are Daddy Issues.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't need more than the first episode to get hooked in. Unless I'm badly mistaken about where this is going (there aren't any real zombie elements?), this looks to be headed in an interesting direction, and I loved all of the zombie accoutrements in the lead's room, too.

And my, that down-the dress shot didn't disappoint, either. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone wants the answer to Key's question about whether there are any real zombie elements before investing any time in the show, here's an (early) manga spoiler, carefully cordoned off for Blood-'s pleasure: spoiler[If the show is not an incredibly radical adaptation, yes, a real zombie element is the very core of the show's premise.]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
In case anyone wants the answer to Key's question about whether there are any real zombie elements before investing any time in the show, here's an (early) manga spoiler, carefully cordoned off for Blood-'s pleasure: spoiler[If the show is not an incredibly radical adaptation, yes, a real zombie element is the very core of the show's premise.]

Oh. Even still, I'm probably going to follow this one, as that could be interesting, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

Oh. Even still, I'm probably going to follow this one, as that could be interesting, too.

Oh yes, believe me, it is indeed interesting.

I'm really looking forward to this show, as I think one of the biggest flaws in the manga is that it sometimes has trouble balancing the tone of the series' contrasting elements... it has humor, but it can be dark and... well, unique, to avoid going into too much detail. Very unique. I'm hoping that the anime can maybe make some improvements and integrate things a bit more smoothly.

Since it just got a simulcast announcement, I'll probably wait until nico nico has it available to watch the first episode though.

EDIT AGAIN: Ok, spoilers fixed, you're safe now Key

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Nice I loved the first episode. I like the fact that Chihiro is voiced by the same guy who did Kodoka in Boku Wa Tomodachi. The voice seems like a perfect match for Chihiro's unique personality. Oh boy, Sanka Rea sure has it rough with her daddy issues. I LOLed when she yelled spoiler[please stop taking nude pictures of me on my bday as proof as my growth]. Her dad takes daughter love to a whole another level.

Looks like the zombies in this anime will be of the western concept of needing flesh to live, and not the weird zombie concept such as in Kore Wa Zombie or other animes. But most likely notspoiler[ since Rea is going to turn into a zombie, so she might be more like Ayumu Aikawa.]

Anyway the way his cousin, Ranko, acted after she left his house. This might turn into a love triangle, considering she is also a main character.

Last edited by WhiteHairGirls on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Looks like the zombies in this anime will be of the western concept of needing flesh to live, and not the weird zombie concept such as in Kore Wa Zombie or other animes. But most likely not since spoiler[Rea is going to turn into a zombie, so she might be more like Ayumu Aikawa.]

well, [Manga Spoiler]spoiler[it's sort of inbetween in an odd kinda way i guess, although closer to eating brains], i won't go into details as to why though, just watch and enjoy it

Edit: thanks MS, i hadn't noticed that since i already knew it, i never mean to do that given how much it annoys me when i see them

Last edited by Volibear on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls, Volibear, you may want to edit your posts and spoiler tag the part about (spoiler for the manga)spoiler[ Rea becoming a zombie]. I know some descriptions of the series mentioned that in the summery, so it might not seem like a necessary thing, but I know Key/Theron at least was at least still unaware about that particular plot point.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Impressive episode. I'll continue watch this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Don't know anything about the manga but this was one of the shows that I was looking forward to, a romance story that would probably shock people. The dark elements look like they could definetly appeal to me, but not really aware of everything yet so I should wait to next episode.

I am guessing the first episode was mostly used to introduce us to our lead male, whith the ending enticing us to next episode focusing on the female lead. Which will probably be more dramatic then what we had here based on little bits and the episode preview. Not sure if anyone noticed, but I am pretty sure Chihiro was supposed to look like Shaun from Shaun of the Dead earlier in the episde in the dream where he had a cricket bat with a red stain on the white shirt. There are probably lots of little references around the place.

I wonder how this show might go along with the running of the second season of Kore wa Zombie, well more seriousat least. Stopping myself from reading the spoilers in this thread was hard, but I don't want to have it ruined.
4750G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Must resist temptation to check spoiler tags. Evil or Very Mad

I haven't read the manga, but I liked the first episode. Like Key here, I liked all that zombie paraphernalia (did you see that zombie hand under the bed casually thrown in the background?). One thing I did not like in the episode, however, is the physically abusive cousin. It's obvious she loves him, and I've had enough of them. But overall, I loved the first episode. I'm not a fan of horror, but I'm continuing watching this one.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Ok, I am weak. I was planning on waiting for the nico nico stream, but I ended up checking out a fansub anyways. I'll still watch it when it comes out on nico nico though.

Anyways, a nice first episode, and I think a pretty good adaption of the manga. Like Yttrbio, I think it seems slightly different in tone than the manga. If I had to describe it, I'd say it's not just that it's going to take itself more seriously, but that it's going to be a bit more... subdued than the manga. Later episodes will answer this for sure, but if so, I think this is a good thing. The original manga had some very dark material that it played perfectly straight, and so it was sometimes a bit jarring when it would get over the top silly. It never quite meshed right to me, and unlike "Is this a Zombie?" I was never able to let go and just view everything as silly.

Regarding the cousin character, whom many do not like... give her time. I don't think she'll be too bothersome later on, if they stick to the manga and continue to adapt the story as they have.

The first episode was for the most part an adaption of the first manga chapter, though they re-arranged some events and added some extra details. I'm curious as to how the series is going to handle it's ending. The manga is not finished and does not seem to be close to it either. I heard the series is supposed to be 12 episodes, so I guess they'll either break away from the manga and go for an original ending, or do a more open-ended conclusion. Chapter 20 of the manga has a nice climax that would serve well for a "the story will continue" style conclusion.

Personally, I'm hoping they go the latter route, and then later on adapt the rest of the manga through future seasons.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Regarding the cousin character, whom many do not like... give her time. I don't think she'll be too bothersome later on, if they stick to the manga and continue to adapt the story as they have.

Man I don't get some people. Why would they hate on her? Its like how I was confused at why Ranka Lee from Macross got unwarranted hate.
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Man I don't get some people. Why would they hate on her? Its like how I was confused at why Ranka Lee from Macross got unwarranted hate.

I don't hate her, I just don't quite like how she was portrayed I guess. I don't really like physically abusive women. Not as funny anymore. But throw in a shy side, I'd like her a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 24