• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood's Lone Wolf and Cub No Longer in Development

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazychild

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Was it true that Aronofsky wanted to turn it into a Western? I was never sure whether or not that was true since I read it in a Suicide Girls (I think) article that happened to be posted on April Fool's Day. I assumed it was a joke since the same article said that David Bowie wanted to produce a stage musical based on Watchmen.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese licensing black hole strikes again!

As soon as interest starts floating towards it, all common sense and direction to whoever has the rights in Japan gets sucked into it, never to appear in our universe again!

BUT seriously, unless they're going to do a period piece set in Japan with Asian actors, you know the Hollywood Lone Wolf & Cub is going to be revamped... Probably into a Western like Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven (which was decent), or morphed into something totally nonsensical like the following ---

"FROM THE MINDS OF THE MEN WHO BROUGHT YOU THE MATRIX... INDEPENDENCE DAY.... AND THE TRANSPORTER!

"Lone Wolf (Jason Stathman) must smuggle his Cub (big kid actor of the moment) from Child Protective Services and duke it out with well-intentioned but misguided Law-Enforcement as they journey to freedom in....... NICARAGUA!"
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Probably into a Western like Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven (which was decent),

I've always heard it was more than decent.
I thought it was amusing the recent anime was by way of Magnificent 7, not the original Japanese film. In the booklets included with the dvds, the makers were asked for their favorite scene from the original & the answer was they had Magnificent 7 in mind more.
So Japanese movie translated into a western translated back into Japanese

There is a certain western feel to samurai stuff, really. The West was our wild frontier days & the samurai period seems their wild frontier days--lawmen for hire vs samurai for hire (as opposed to not necessarily representing the rule of the land). There's a certain lawlessness & changing of the rules from one town ot the next.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this is great news. Hollywood can't make remake anything right now, why would anyone trust them with this property? This isn't like the 60's when there were actual film-makers in the industry. Now it's filled with hacks and the studios only care about making flashy crap to appease the lowest denominator.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It's probably for the best, as it'd end up being a Last Samurai wannabe.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Aronofsky is one of the few directors I'd trust not to screw up a Japanese anime/manga adaptation, so this is sad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
And I trusted Cronenberg not to eff up "A History of Violence". Rolling Eyes
yojimboray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Rejoice! The catastrophic fanboy war I prophesied as a result of Hollywood casting Bruce Willis as Itto Ogami two and a half years from now shall not come to pass, saving the fragile psyches of geeks everywhere.
Seriously, I wish other Japanese companies were as protective of their properties.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Eh. I wasn't looking too forward to it, especially if it was going to be westernized. Plus we already had one westernized Lone Wolf and Cub movie. Road To Perdition was based on a Max Allen Collins comic which he said was inspired by Lone Wolf and Cub.

Plus now could Aronofsky somehow get in on making Frank Miller's Ronin? I think some other director was set up with it, but nothing's been moving since news in 2007. Seems back in 1998 Aronofsky signed up as director, but nothing happened. Then the whole Fountain fiasco at Warners, who has the film now.

I know Aronofsky is a Miller fan and he could do wonders with the story of a samurai sent into a cyberpunk future by the evil demon Agat. In this future the lone samurai must use his master's special sword to vanquish the demon.

(And if it sounds familiar, yes, Ronin was one of the inspirations for Samurai Jack.)

Last edited by The Xenos on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 7 times in total
yojimboray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Really? I am praying that the guy who directed Dragonball: Evolution will do half as good a job as Cronenberg did. Although, with each new pic, clip, and trailer I see, I die a little more inside.
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Japan strikes again.

Less money for them this time though.

Seriously!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
How can anyone assume that the Hollywood studios aren't racist against Asians at this point? Seriously, I've seen so many adaptions where the characters are recast white. Even in that true-life film about the student gambler. If you switch the race of the main character why would the trailer still claim it's based on a true story?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Really? I am praying that the guy who directed Dragonball: Evolution will do half as good a job as Cronenberg did. Although, with each new pic, clip, and trailer I see, I die a little more inside.

Seriously did you just compare Cronenberg to the guy who remade Black Christmas? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've always heard it was more than decent.

You've heard correctly. Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen headline a great cast, with memorable lines and a whole lot of shooting. It's definitely a Western classic. Very Happy
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Have any of you seen an Aronofsky film? The Wrestler is my favorite film of the year and it was just released in select theaters. And I'm sure plenty of you have seen the infamous "party scene" from Requiem from a Dream. Aronofsky directed that brilliant film, too.
When you say Hollywood, don't think of this guy as the Micheal Bay type. He doesn't make blockbuster type films to pander the average joe.
Sorry if I sound uptight about this, but I think we lost something really good here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2