• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Special Guest Edition: X/1999

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if X will ever make it out of limbo and come to a proper conclusion. It's been almost 10 years since the last chapter, and even if CLAMP does continue the story the art will now be so different compared to when X first started out, I think it'll be quite jarring.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Lovely article! Lots of interesting info that I had never heard before, especially about the constant hiatuses and the reasoning behind them!!

But… those images, where did they come from? Because waugh, that lettering is sorta… ugly. And the sfx aren't translated like they are in both Viz versions…? (Or is the Animerica version different than the original english graphic novel version?) Just a little sad to see pages with such… interesting lettering marring such a nice article. =(

(Also, hey Shaenon! For your next guest article, please write about Ultimate Muscle! Anime hyper)
batou65

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At their 2006 Anime Expo panel, the members said that they planned to finish the series at 21 volumes, to match the 21 cards of the Tarot.

I was there. They're a bunch of trolling b****es. Since they obviously are never going to finish it, the least they can do is TELL US WHAT THE F****** ENDING WOULD HAVE BEEN.

This is why they will never get another cent of my money no matter how nice the omnibus versions are, and why I refuse to read any manga that's still in progress.

/rant
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
I read the entire Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and was able to appreciate the fact that the story was taking a turn towards 'dark' when spoiler[Kamui showed up].

Even without having read X/1999, the story has a reputation of being the 'dark child' among CLAMP creations. Even when I had not read it, I could still give a little squee of excitement at that moment.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if they could, at the least, "fan" publish the ending in some way or "leak" it to the internet.

I'm sure Fuuma is tired of holding up that sword after all these years.

...the least they could say is clarify if the TV series end is appropriate to consider as the manga end....
...I know it can't be exact with all the side-swapping:
spoiler[especially since Subaru took Seishirou's place and stood alongside Fuuma; considering Kamui is all BFFish with Subaru].

And it's not like X is CLAMP's ONLY manga that's on Haitus. As much as I'm satisfied with Clover as it is, I know they planned more but just never did it.

Maybe when they finish Gate7 and the whole Blood-C stuff is done; they'll consider it once again.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
man, I feel bad for fans of this series, I had no idea it never had an actual ending
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
I bought the omnibus editions. I know the manga hasn't finished but its just too awesome to not buy B-). The colour pages are gorgeous. Not sure if clamp will finish the manga though... :'(. I just want Kamui to survive and i'd probably be happy lol.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Sadly, after the recent and very tragic earthquake that hit Japan a year ago, I'm sure any plans CLAMP have of finishing the series are just going to be pushed further and further away.

Love X nonetheless. A very beautiful, if very frustrating series.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Kind of funny that while the manga does not have an ending, the film and the TV series made up one of their own. Some years ago, there was xxxHolic/X crossover which actually took place one second after the last chapter published. However, it was just an omake. Considering that the ending was found controversial by Asuka I guess there would be more deaths and earthquakes in the series.

By the way, I thought that Jason was going to talk about those first two "suspicious" images he put. I think that happens many times in the first volumes. Laughing
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I read the entire Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and was able to appreciate the fact that the story was taking a turn towards 'dark' when spoiler[Kamui showed up]..

I started reading TRC because of that. I'd been collecting 'Holic, but was utterly unmotivated to sample the larger saga. That arc sucked me in and I had to dive in and play catch-up. Which was helpful later on in 'Holic, so I suppose I would have given in sooner or later.

sainta wrote:
Kind of funny that while the manga does not have an ending, the film and the TV series made up one of their own.

The pain! The pain! Liked the series, but that other, shorter thing... The manga was fresh in my memory when I saw it, and the shorter thing suffered by comparison. It jammed a lot of stuff in, but in too shallow a fashion to engage me. I think of it as X Cliff Notes. (To be fair, it might be less objectionable now that the storyline has gone soft-focus in my memory. To be paranoid, I doubt I'll test that hypothesis.)
simside

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
sainta wrote:
Kind of funny that while the manga does not have an ending, the film and the TV series made up one of their own.

The pain! The pain! Liked the series, but that other, shorter thing... The manga was fresh in my memory when I saw it, and the shorter thing suffered by comparison. It jammed a lot of stuff in, but in too shallow a fashion to engage me. I think of it as X Cliff Notes. (To be fair, it might be less objectionable now that the storyline has gone soft-focus in my memory. To be paranoid, I doubt I'll test that hypothesis.)

See, I still like the film to pieces only because I've read the manga. I have a hard time believing anyone could really enjoy it without already knowing the story or characters, because it doesn't waste a lot of time with stuff like that. But since I already knew what was going on, I could watch it for the blowing cherry blossoms and explosions. It's still one of the prettiest movies I've ever seen.

It's sad how much I love the X manga. I started reading it in Animerica Extra in... 2000? And nothing ever really replaced it for me. It's beautiful, and I was young, so I spent way more time than I ever would now going over and over to learn all the character plots and whatnot. I always find it a hard series to recommend to others for that reason, but it's still one of my absolute favorite manga series ever.

And yeah... I have to say, I was waiting for some commentary on the chosen images, too.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
X/1999 is one of my absolute favorite manga - beauitful artwork and an intense storyline. I hope CLAMP is able to give the ending its proper due some day - and frankly, I'd rather that they do it through official channels than "leak" it or "reveal" it as some people seem to think they should. Until the day comes that they know with 100% certainty that the ending of X will never see the light of day in publication, I can't fault them for holding onto it. The moment something like that gets leaked in this day and age is the moment that they lose all hopes of actually getting it published for profit, given that the common thought process is "why pay for something when you can get it for free?" And why would I like to see them actually publish it? Well, I'd like it to be able to be licensed and distributed stateside so that I can have a complete collection on my shelf!

Although the other option is that they could always self-publish, I'm not sure how effective that is for manga, or how popular that is in Japan. Self-publishing seems to be all the rage here in the USA, but I don't profess to have any knowledge of Japan's publishing market.

Though if anyone can do it, CLAMP probably could. After all, they're CLAMP.
batou65

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
And it's not like X is CLAMP's ONLY manga that's on Haitus.

This is another reason why it seems like they're trolling us.
sainta wrote:

Considering that the ending was found controversial by Asuka I guess there would be more deaths and earthquakes in the series.

But how much worse could it be than what we have already seen?
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
batou65 wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
And it's not like X is CLAMP's ONLY manga that's on Haitus.

This is another reason why it seems like they're trolling us.
sainta wrote:

Considering that the ending was found controversial by Asuka I guess there would be more deaths and earthquakes in the series.

But how much worse could it be than what we have already seen?

Well, it's okay if the discontinuation throws you off, for whatever personal reason you have. But CLAMP wouldn't troll. X is still one of their own favorites and in 2009 or 2010, I remember Ohkawa-sensei posting in her blog about their interest in reviving X and Legal Drug in order to conclude them. Right now, Legal Drug has been briefly revived as DRUG&DROP because after finishing xxxHOLiC, Nekoi-sensei was free to become a main artist again (She originally drew Legal Drug). We may not see X come back for a while, but as long as they are interested, I'm sure we'll see something.

Also, didn't they talk about how the ending of X was going to be darker and bloodier than it had been up to that point? They said they can't exactly publish that ending, so Ohkawa-sensei has been thinking about a different ending that isn't as destructive, but still holds true to her intention. I read this in an old NewType USA that, if I'm not wrong, had Sakura and Syaoran from Tsubasa on the cover.

@Aynslesa: Self-publishing works similar to how it works in the U.S., or at least it used to, but I do know that mangaka no longer have good resources to self-publish like Tezuka-sensei had in past. Even if CLAMP had all the money in the world, they themselves could not run something so big, so they would have to entrust the publishing and its content to someone else, leaving them in a possibly similar situation, depending on how they start out. Besides, manga have been published in non-manga-only magazines before, but this is not a good tactic for sales if they are trying to attract a wide audience. If they tried to self-publish, what kind of serialization could they run? They'd have to pull in lots of outside material. It's both costly (even for CLAMP) and not very reliable. Unless, of course, they were to make their own contents magazine, like Kero Kero Ace and Kirara Magica have done for Keroro Gunsou and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Sure, they could probably do it, but they would have to put a lot of individual focus on it because it would be all about CLAMP rather than just their products and merchandise or characters and material. It may not be their kind of thing anymore, especially since Igarashi-sensei stopped writing for her Chipmunk Cheeks section in NewType magazine.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Once again, another good article on another favorite manga of mine. I haven't read all of X, but I've seen the anime, and loved it. Even if it does end on a cliffhanger, I'm getting those omnibuses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2