• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament Interest Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
For those who are relatively new to the forums, over the past few years we have regularly held in-forum tournaments to determine things like Best Duo, Most Moe, Most Intelligent Character, Best Group/Team/Organization, and so forth. (An example of one can be seen here.)Participation levels have dropped for the last couple of tournaments, however, which leaves me (as the organizer of the last several) wondering if there's even enough interest to keep having these tournaments. Thus, this is an official interest survey.

If you are interested in participating in another tournament going forward, please post a reply in this thread. Also indicate if you would prefer to start another one ASAP or wait until the beginning of next year (partly to avoid it being entangled in major upcoming holiday seasons). This will be used to determine when - or even if! - we will have another one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
sounds like fun, i'd participate. I have no real preference over when it should start.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Sure, but please do it next year.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Participation levels have dropped for the last couple of tournaments

I think one of the biggest reasons participation levels have dropped is not because of a lack of interest in the tournaments, but rather because certain people are so rude and contentious that the tournaments quickly become no fun. The first couple tournaments were pretty entertaining and featured some spirited conversations, but it seems like the more recent ones have been marred by a small number of incredibly obnoxious participants who don't understand how to debate and disagree in a civil manner.

You can say I'm overreacting and pass over my observations as the concerns of someone who isn't thick skinned enough or who doesn't have sufficient tolerance for the way people act on the internet, but I don't think I'm wrong in saying that a few very vocal and very rude people in the last several tournaments have poisoned the atmosphere to the point where participation becomes not worth the grief we have to put up with for quite a few of us.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Only reason I didn't join in last time was the stress of the beginning of my first semester of college. I would love to be able to join in this time if another one starts! Very Happy

I think it would be better to start it at the beginning of next year because a lot of people will be too busy over the holidays.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm in, prefer the tournament to start next year after the Winter Preview Guide is over.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Definitely in, and hugely excited. Ya, at this point it would probably be best if we started it in the beginning of January. But to facilitate a prompt start, we could have the voting on the tournament topic before, sometime in December.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
I'm in favor of the beginning of next year, which seems to be the general consensus thus far anyway.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Sounds like fun so I'm definitely in! Doing it this year might be a little bit too soon though so I'm also in favour of doing it next year.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
I've taken part in the last few and would enjoy participating again. I'd prefer we started soon but I'm happy if people want to delay things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
My short-term memory and relatively short "Seen all" list would limit my participation, but I'm all for it as long as people keep in mind that this is just a fun activity. Start whenever.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
I would certainly take part. But it would be best to do it starting next year with the holidays being around the corner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
sounds like a good idea, but i dont think i would be good in it, as i dont get to watch much anime :/
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Key wrote:
Participation levels have dropped for the last couple of tournaments

I think one of the biggest reasons participation levels have dropped is not because of a lack of interest in the tournaments, but rather because certain people are so rude and contentious that the tournaments quickly become no fun. The first couple tournaments were pretty entertaining and featured some spirited conversations, but it seems like the more recent ones have been marred by a small number of incredibly obnoxious participants who don't understand how to debate and disagree in a civil manner.

This is the main reason for my limited participation. I used to be able to read through the thread and choose options even when not familiar with a series. Now, though, I only vote when I have seen almost everything in a bracket so I don't have to wade through the rudeness that usually crops up to make a decision. Otherwise, I just don't vote that round.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Definitely in, and hugely excited. Ya, at this point it would probably be best if we started it in the beginning of January. But to facilitate a prompt start, we could have the voting on the tournament topic before, sometime in December.

I'm definitely in and I think Tris' idea is good, so we can be thinking about the topic in the back of our minds during the holiday season and come up with a great list of nominations.

Also, jl07045, we usually expect that people haven't seen everything, which is why supporting arguments have to be made for at least some votes in every rounds, which along with a guide to all the entrants gives people who are unfamiliar with the character/series a chance to get a bit of an idea, at least enough to make a reasonably informed vote.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6