• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san (TV & OVA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san (TV)

Plot Summary: Akutabe, a detective, summons devils to solve the troubles of his clients. One day, a low class devil Azazel Atsushi is summoned by Akutabe and is used harshly by him and his assistant Rinko Sakuma.

I was quite happy to see this show get a series run after watching the OVA from last year. It's a fun and twisted take on the western take of the occult and demonology I'm slightly disappointed they only get the 12 minute treatment though.
I have to admit that part of the appeal comes from my love of the 90's DC/Vertigo comics take on these demons in Sandman and Hellblazer, and how Akutabe actually seems to be a comical, anime take on John Constantine or other trickster characters of this type (but don't talk to me about Keanu).

Then there's the fact that these stories are simply funny. The randy little lust demon, the Lord of Flies spoiler[microwaving his poop supper, ] and I definitely want to see more of Moloch and the glimpses into the "real hell" that we got from the OVA and which give you a little more of a glimpse into just how powerful Akutabe is and what the deal is with their comical appearance.

As good as the jokes are though, I do hope for some form of story eventually. Maybe asking for too much from a 12 minute show.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to episode 4, and this is just hilarious. But there really isn't much to discuss. This is like Detroit Metal City, less philosophy, and more crap.

It's a real shame that each episode is only 12 minutes. Though I'm starting to like this format. I don't think I could sit through 20 minutes of Hen Zemi ever again.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
yeah, not much to say.

Interesting how, for the most part, I don't actually have a problem with the gross out humor in this show, even though I sometimes do with shows (early Mitsudomoe, P+SwG). In ep.4 I actually found the spitting more disturbing than the... secret drug/choco baby and laughed out loud at the rainbow. Gross out humor, sometimes it works, sometimes it only grosses me out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
It's sort of hit-or-miss humor for me. Some of the stuff they do is pretty funny while others are sort of messed up and weird.

I do find the concept sort of funny. It certainly is unique, I'll give it that much.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
OVA 2

in which the full measure of Azazel's lust powers are revealed and you understand why they aren't used on TV. That scene was like a shared acid trip between R. Crumb and Ralph Bakshi... the boobs are coming after you and you should run.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Time to revive the thread! Who's watching the second season?

I'm totally seeing the limitations of what they can air on TV though. Ose created a flower-like thingy from Osanai's thoughts. They didn't explain what that thing was.

It's a spoiler[vagina. XDDD Ose's power is to duplicate things and one of the things Osanai has been trying to replicate for a long time is a vagina, but it never comes out right.]

This is something where if you've read the manga you'd get it, but it'd just be "WTF is that?" if you haven't since it would be too dirty to broadcast if they provided the back story on it. XDDD
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I never read the manga, but I understood that just fine.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

I don't know what to say about your imagination or powers of deduction then, LoL.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Still, Adult Swim wishes they could get away with lines like

spoiler["Don't touch it with those hands that reek of of pvssy juice!"]

although it's possible that that is a fansubber taking license with the translation, considering the show I believe it could very well be a pretty direct one. This show is delightfully filthy.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Congratulations! I had no idea what that was supposed to be. I did see the naked girl on the monitor, but the translation from that image to the resulting "copy" was not obvious to me.

Thanks, GokuMew2, for clarifying that!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Thanks, GokuMew2, for clarifying that!

There's an entire story for it in the manga and that's where Osanai and Ose are first introduced, but it's not something that they can air on TV so it looks like they skipped it entirely and just went "here are there new characters!" ^^; Oh well, not too much they can do there. I'm still half surprised they found enough material that they can broadcast on TV to make a second season. Anime hyper
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
We may get an OVA then like how they had to do the Seiya/host club episode as an OVA due to all the nudity. I'd like to see those characters introduced at least.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
We may get an OVA then like how they had to do the Seiya/host club episode as an OVA due to all the nudity. I'd like to see those characters introduced at least.

The manga's still ongoing so perhaps we'll get another bundled OAD in the future.

It won't be with vol.10 though since that one will be including an Azazel strap as a bonus. Vol.9 had a Beelzebub strap and it sold out pretty quickly. Animate was limiting purchases to one per person. >_> (Though I think one of the main reasons it was so popular is because Kamiya voices Beelzebub. ...And now I'm getting OT.)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 3...... I should have known they would animate it since the character is shown in the key visual, but it's the spoiler[hemorrhoids] episode! XDDDDDDD Much craziness ensues.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
Hahah, oh wow. Marukome truly found despair at the end. Rinko is getting used to just using the demons to get her out of trouble, without even caring about the repercussions. She's changed quite a bit since the first time we saw her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1