• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Robot Girls Z (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote

Robot Girls Z (TV)
Genre: Action ,Comedy, Science Fiction, Slice of Life
Plot Summary:
Quote:
There is a new team of "Toei robot girls" named "Team Z" that is made up of three girls based on Toei's Mazinger Z franchise: Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger, and UFO Robot Grendizer. Usually they perform in activities around Nerima ward in Tokyo to raise the awareness of the promising future energy source "Photon Power". However, there are times when "Mechanical Beast" team of girls emerge from the "Subterranean Empire" and attempt to steal the energy. Thus "Team Z" has to battle them to prevent this, though sometimes they just go and beat up the "bad girls" to relieve stress.

Episodes 1-3

That was epic, I had my attention grabbed by the OP that I found hilarious. What quickly becomes apparently is that this is a parody of shows that robots and rangers fighting giant monster, as well as magical girls. The heroes have questionable motives, are overly destructive or violent. And the villains feel likeable, and generally come across as typical super sentai monsters mixed moe or anime stereotypes that can be amusing. like a dual gender leader comes across as spoiler[either gallant or caring mother], the scythe character is spunky, and three headed monster that would be maybe scary one is actually a spoiler[little moe girl with hand puppets and shoots slow-mo lasers].

Super sentai parodies are usually something that falls kind of flat, but I was actually laughing heaps at what is set to be a season of such parodies. The three "heroes" being totally spoiler[out of sink with their amount of energy (excitement) and causing the damage]. The puppet monster spoiler[using different voices that were kind of cute, getting teased] and then spoiler[depressed over the bullying, becoming a NEET, and then seen hiding in a cardboard box with a paper bag over her head]. The various probably one-shot monsters having pretty spoiler[different personalities, failing, and the aftermath damage looking surprisingly un-moe]. And even the fishing boat was fun when usually I find little interest in those sort of gags. The captain being a spoiler[tough women who says she] will treat them like maggots and without changing gears spoiler[tells one where the bathroom is], and choosing to eat what I am pretty sure is spoiler[inedible sea creatures].

I like this a lot.
EDIT: Although it looks like there will only be 9 episodes and these were the first three. *sigh*
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
This is pretty much par the course for 70's super robot anime with wanton collateral destruction and heroes being completely overpowered, except by moe girls who actually have to pay for the consequences. Expect plenty more "heroes" and "villains" to show up (can you recognise them all?) for maximum super robot nostalgia/moe heresy.

(Wait, if Baron Ashura is the mother does that mean that Doctor Hell is the father? Anime dazed )

Last edited by Generic #757858 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they combined 3 episodes into a single arc or rather session. Not bad I guess.

I loved the action and there was a little fan service in the third episode. I really like the energy coming from the main characters though that brings a sort of atmosphere to make you be part of the show. ROCKET PUNCH.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I described this to a friend as "Cute girl versions of Go Nagai robots defend the photon research centre from monster girls who should seriously stop attacking the photon research centre."

This was a pretty funny show. Especially the last episode. I laughed till I stopped laughing so it was pretty amusing.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this was pretty great, I'm onboard. Just wondering why they didn't just call the show Mazingirls (yeah, I know there was an earlier Robot Girls show)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1