• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chao8971

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy about this, it is kind of hard to get your hands on this movie that includes the Japanese audio track. Secret of Mamo is absolutely crazy, but it is a nice Lupin the Third film that I will gladly add to my collection.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey! I posted this news in the Anime forum first, ya know. Sad
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey! I think Discotek has officially made history by being the very first English anime company to release FOUR English dubs of one anime!

...or am I wrong?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Four English dubs? Might as well call this the Mike Toole Edition.

My response to Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo was a little lukewarm, but it was fun to watch and I like the idea of giving DiscoTek money. Besides, the panoply of English dubs adds a lot of interest. Having the Toho dub is particularly impressive given what a pain it must have been to stitch together.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I figured that Discotek would eventually pick this up. It's personally my favorite Lupin film. It's good fun and has very luscious animation. I thought they'd only put the 2003 English dub on there, but it's good to know that all of them will be featured in addition to the Japanese audio. The only version I've seen is the old 1978 dub when I edited the audio to fit Pioneer's footage. It'd be nice if we knew exactly who those voice actors were (other than fan-guesses, though while they seem legit, haven't been totally proven). The voice acting and script were surprisingly good for an old cheap anime dub from the 70s, and they left in all the cursing and nudity. It was an early example of a "straight" anime English dub, and I love their English version of the ending song. It'll be nice to see the other three English dubs on there. While the 2003 one is pretty easy to find, the 1995 one can only be found on a cheap bargain-bin DVD, and the 1996 one is extremely rare.

Can't wait to pick this up! Smile
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pretty big Lupin fan, but after watching "Woman Named Fujiko Mine" my memory got kind of F-ed up (Like Fujiko!). Did Lupin ever sleep with Fujiko in the movies or TV show? I know they did in the manga all the time, but I'm drawing a blank on the animated stuff.
VinceA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like Mike Toole's dream release. It seems to have every dub ever made for this movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
I'm a pretty big Lupin fan, but after watching "Woman Named Fujiko Mine" my memory got kind of F-ed up (Like Fujiko!). Did Lupin ever sleep with Fujiko in the movies or TV show? I know they did in the manga all the time, but I'm drawing a blank on the animated stuff.

I know for a fact they hooked up in First Contact.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they must of read my mind. Cause I kept predicting the next Secret of Mamo licensed DVD to have 4 different english dubs of the same movie. And here I am reading about this news.

While it isn't my all time favorite Lupin movie, but if it's Lupin related I'll own it. And I can now truely replace my Geneon DVD for this one. Cause I've long to actually watch the other English dubs of this film, cause I'm a bit obcessed with comparing one English dub to another when it comes to anime. I own both the Funimation One Piece DVDs & whatever episodes were released for the abolished 4Kids One Piece.

So I'll gladly buy this, and can't wait for any other Lupin anime Discotek might license next.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I already own the Geneon DVD, but a Discotek re-release means a new Reed Nelson audio commentary, which is definitely worth double dipping for. Cool

Are they still planning on bringing out the Babylon movie too?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I regret that I don't have any of the Lupin III Discotek releases beyond their version of The Fuma Clan Conspiracy (which I also have the AnimEigo DVD release of, too). ALL their Lupin III are on my to-buy list including the live-action film.

Love Lupin III... it was actually the Cartoon Network broadcasts that got me into the character and compelled me to get all the Geneon DVD releases while they were readily available and reasonably (very cheap!) priced -- in addition to all the movies Funimation licensed.

Very, very sad that Lupin III is so under-rated in the States. He's one of the better-enduring icons of anime. I think he's held up better than Astro Boy, Kimba, and even (arguably) Gundam and Macross. The character has never been as mishandled as other icons or become as arguably dated and repetitive as some of the other icons are now, too.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Wow! I already own the Geneon DVD, but a Discotek re-release means a new Reed Nelson audio commentary, which is definitely worth double dipping for. Cool

Sorry, but it won't be happening this time.

Source!

Reed Nelson wrote:
But to answer some expected questions first: the disc will be packed tight enough that there will not be enough bandwidth for a commentary track. I'll ensure some extras will be included on the disc (liner notes at the very least), but those are all TBD.

Reed also mentioned this on Twitter

Reed Nelson wrote:
Quote:
you think the Mamo set will have a booklet similar to the Geneon release?
Probably not, & I would onto the Geneon version if I were you. The disc is so full, the Pioneer 5.1 track probably won't fit.

There will definitely be a 2.0 mix of the Pioneer dub at minimum, though.

I'll be sure the text from the Pioneer booklet gets in the new release, though.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
color me impressed discotek
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
A first for four different audio tracks to be on the same disc for an anime movie? Shocked

Impressive. Discotek has me tempted to buy this next year when it pops up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to issue a two disc collection, and split the dubs up on the discs, and maybe put the Japanese audio on one, and a commentary on the other. Just an idea. Though of course I'd prefer it all to be on one disc, but I wouldn't mind the other way as well. Razz As long as I get all four dubs, I'm happy. Cool This'll be the first time the 1978 (Toho) dub has been released to DVD in it's complete form, and the first time the 1996 (Manga UK) dub has made it's way to DVD at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2