• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 260,000 K-ON! Film DVDs/Blu-rays Shipped to Retailers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
The K-On Movie really was a smashing success. It could end up the best selling late night anime movie ever.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The K-On Movie really was a smashing success. It could end up the best selling late night anime movie ever.
This is very true. I've seen it, and honestly...it was pretty damn good. I loved it. Anyone fan of the series will love it. I thought they were gonna move a bit away from the series's mood to make it more "movie-like" but it was basically a long episode with higher production value. Excellent addition to the series. I hope the sales will convince KyoAni to make a final season
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
This is very true. I've seen it, and honestly...it was pretty damn good. I loved it. Anyone fan of the series will love it. I thought they were gonna move a bit away from the series's mood to make it more "movie-like" but it was basically a long episode with higher production value. Excellent addition to the series. I hope the sales will convince KyoAni to make a final season

KyoAni has no say in whether another series is made or not. That's going to be up to TBS. Even if they decide to, there is no guarantee they would use Kyoto to animate it. They could get anyone they wanted.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

KyoAni has no say in whether another series is made or not. That's going to be up to TBS. Even if they decide to, there is no guarantee they would use Kyoto to animate it. They could get anyone they wanted.

While your first statement is correct, the second one is only "correct" in the sense that its theoretically possible. If there is a third season, KyoAni will animate it. Anything else would be a disaster on every level.

Imagine the Little Busters situation, times about a bajillion.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

While your first statement is correct, the second one is only "correct" in the sense that its theoretically possible. If there is a third season, KyoAni will animate it. Anything else would be a disaster on every level.

Imagine the Little Busters situation, times about a bajillion.

I am not familiar with this "Little Busters situation" would you mind elaborating?

Also probably true about having another studio animating it, would be a lot of unnecessary issues that wouldn't be worth it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope Sentai get this
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
I am not familiar with this "Little Busters situation" would you mind elaborating?

Basically, KyoAni is known for doing all of the Key properties (Clannad, Kanon, Air), but they held off from accepting doing Little Busters for so long for some reason that Key decided to go elsewhere, and handed it off to JC Staff. JC Staff has a bad reputation with VN adaptions so a lot of people have raged about it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Basically, KyoAni is known for doing all of the Key properties (Clannad, Kanon, Air), but they held off from accepting doing Little Busters for so long for some reason that Key decided to go elsewhere, and handed it off to JC Staff. JC Staff has a bad reputation with VN adaptions so a lot of people have raged about it.

It's not even just that, no one puts the same amount of effort and budget into their productions as KyoAni does, whereas JC Staff has a long list of shoddy looking titles. It's fair to say that KyoAni would have animated it better and had more detail, even if I'm prejudging without having seen any of it. JC Staff just isn't on the same level, they take on too many shows at once, even if they have a much larger team, and that sits in direct contrast to KyoAni focusing on one property at a time.

That aside, the comparison of directors isn't comforting.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

Kyoto Animation did not "hold off" on doing Little Busters so much as Key's production partners for those shows (TBS/Pony Canyon) ended up making more money from K-On! than they would've from another Key series. BD/DVD sales nearly doubled, Pony Canyon earned a massive amount of money from CD sales, and there was much more merchandise sold. The other shows Kyoto Animation did since 2009 were either from Kadokawa (Haruhi, Nichijou, Hyouka) or decided upon by KyoAni themselves (Chuunibyou to promote their LNs).

People seem to think that KyoAni single-handly rejected all efforts by Key to make Little Busters but they neglect to consider the other monetary avenues that K-On! provided that a Key VN adaptation did not. No Key movie would ever ship this many BD/DVDs, so that's why TBS/Pony Canyon went away from Key and stuck with a much more profitable partnership.

Key asked, but were told "We're busy" because they had the shows mentioned above to work on. They became impatient and went with another production committee to make the Little Busters anime. Said production committee assembled a staff and gave J.C. Staff the budget to animate the anime, which has caused many fans internationally to question their judgement (and blame KyoAni).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I understand K-On, but what about Hyouka and Nichijou? They were never going to be as successful as a Little Busters adaption would be.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I understand K-On, but what about Hyouka and Nichijou? They were never going to be as successful as a Little Busters adaption would be.

Quote:
The other shows Kyoto Animation did since 2009 were either from Kadokawa (Haruhi, Nichijou, Hyouka) or decided upon by KyoAni themselves (Chuunibyou to promote their LNs).

Different production companies. TBS/Pony Canyon were the ones assisting with the Key works. Once they went with K-On!, those spots were taken.
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
I hope Sentai get this

Why wouldn't they? BANG ZOOM entertainment did the first season and when Bandai crapped out Sentai basically just stepped in as distributor (don't know who owns "K-On!" though) I think but who ever owns or releases the "K-On!" movie , BangZoom will be involved.

This is MORE than enough reason to release a 24 ep 3rd season. PLUS, I heard there's a new Haruhi "light novel" in the works (like half a year ago?) so it's possible even Haruhi will return to TV.

There is "Moe"....and there is "K-On!"
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
I hope Sentai get this

Why wouldn't they? BANG ZOOM entertainment did the first season and when Bandai crapped out Sentai basically just stepped in as distributor (don't know who owns "K-On!" though) I think but who ever owns or releases the "K-On!" movie , BangZoom will be involved.
Bang Zoom is the company in charge of recording the dub. They were contracted by Bandai/Sentai to make the dub (both seasons) and master DVD/BDs (first season only). Bandai/Sentai were the companies who actually licensed the series (i.e. paid the Japanese companies for the rights/materials). What firedragon is saying is that he hopes Sentai licenses the movie because sales of the second season are high enough to afford the rights/materials/production of a NA version. If the sales are not good enough, then they won't get the movie.

RogerSterling wrote:
This is MORE than enough reason to release a 24 ep 3rd season.
There's enough material in the manga, but it's split into "university" and "high school" versions (each part will get one manga volume) so assembling a season of that would be difficult, not to mention much different in atmosphere from the prior two seasons.

RogerSterling wrote:
PLUS, I heard there's a new Haruhi "light novel" in the works (like half a year ago?) so it's possible even Haruhi will return to TV.

Kadokawa holds the rights to animate that franchise, so they're the ones calling those shots. Tanigawa did mention in a roundtable discussion in last April that he was writing the next novel, but we've not heard anything since. With the suspension of The Sneaker, it'll be difficult to hear up-to-date news before Kadokawa is ready to solicit the novel. A new novel may not require an anime to advertise it. The previous ones had record-breaking first pressing and first week sales (sales were higher than the previous novel's first pressing amount!) without an anime to advertise it. There's no guarantee that Haruhi will ever get another anime season.
Unit-01 Evangelion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
So excited! Can't wait till I get it! ~ ♫ K-On! ♫ <3
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
can't wait to get barely loli azunyan on blu-ray
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3