• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toriko GN 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Volumes 9 and 10 are easily the weakest volumes of Toriko I've seen, not nearly enough waxy poetics about food, far to much mindless fight, fight, fight.
It does pick up again by volume 11, where I think someone wacked the Mangaka in the head and was told long drawn out fights were not his forte. Also they told him to add some more female characters.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The Toriko vs Tommyrod fight is still considered to be the biggest highlight of the series thus far. If that is nothing to be excited about, then you might as well stop reading because there is nothing quite like it for another hundred chapters.
ReAnimate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Agreed, it's a great fight IMO.
One other fight that springs to mind is Toriko & Zebra vs Nitro, can't wait to have that in print =)
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Volumes 9 and 10 are easily the weakest volumes of Toriko I've seen, not nearly enough waxy poetics about food, far to much mindless fight, fight, fight.
It does pick up again by volume 11, where I think someone wacked the Mangaka in the head and was told long drawn out fights were not his forte. Also they told him to add some more female characters.

Female characters in shounen fail miserably. Less Nami in One Piece ALWAYS makes the story better. Less Komatsu wouldn't hurt though lol. Toriko's bread and butter are it's world of food, and crazy fights. They need both working together to succeed though.
eurotrip1986

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The Toriko vs Tommyrod fight is still considered to be the biggest highlight of the series thus far. If that is nothing to be excited about, then you might as well stop reading because there is nothing quite like it for another hundred chapters.

! That fight was legendary. A lot of people give the Toriko series to much negatively, yet they can sit and read or watch bloody Naruto? LOL. Zebra's character is so great, he would have enough appeal for his own manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1