• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masami Kurumada Hints at New Ring ni Kakero Work

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote
I am so happy to see this! Hopefully if it's another TV season it will be longer than 12 episodes and will start airing soon, hopefully summer.

And this just makes me hope even more for a R1 license of Ring ni Kakero 1! It continually gets new seasons, and makes me want it more and more...
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Which team do they fight after those hilarious matches against the U.S. team? Is it the Shadow team?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I haven't read the manga, but I believe up next is the Shadow Chapter, which is the first story arc that is fought not in a ring but in an "enemy stronghold"... Pretty much the inspiration for just about any shonen action title where the main characters go into enemy territory.

After that is the World Tournament Chapter/Sekai Taikai Hen, which I am really looking forward to. And that's where the title of this new season excites me: It's called simply "Sekai Hen" and not "Shadow Hen", which I'm guessing means that it will do both the Shadow and World Tournament Chapters... Which would probably require more than 12 episodes.

So it's either going to be broken up between yet another 2 seasons, or it's going to be 1 larger season, maybe 24-26 episodes.
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that this title is getting the recognition it deserves, after all this is the one that set what Shonen Jump is today (Yeah, not Dragon Ball, but Ring Ni Kakeru)
I hope that the animation ends RNK1 and maybe, just maybe the studio considers animating RNK2.

Anyway, Masamist should be happy with all this good news :3
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
I am happy that this title is getting the recognition it deserves, after all this is the one that set what Shonen Jump is today (Yeah, not Dragon Ball, but Ring Ni Kakeru)
I hope that the animation ends RNK1 and maybe, just maybe the studio considers animating RNK2.

Anyway, Masamist should be happy with all this good news :3

Now, now... I will admit that Dragon Ball had importance too.

Dragon Ball took the momentum that Ring ni Kakero brought to Shonen Jump and took it to the stratosphere. In the end, though, Ring ni Kakero is the first "big" Shonen Jump manga and will probably still influence for as long as manga stays.

It would be cool to see the RnK1 anime go to the end of the manga, and maybe even do the stuff that happened before where Season 1 started, but I'm happy with the fact that it's still going on strong. That's enough for me right now.
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh, maybe I didn´t explain myself correctly, let me rephrase.

What I meant to say is, that while not nearly as popular as Dragon Ball, not even as popular as Saint Seiya (at least outside of Japan) this is the manga that set the "Friendship, Effort, Victory" themes that Shonen Jump is known for...
The "underdog" theme, extreme training in order to win, incredible techniques (for a boxing manga...), the "tournament" type of arcs, the "going through the enemy lair" type of arc... All of that was done in RNK.

Which inspired tons of manga-ka, the one that pops immidiately in my mind is Kubo Tite, BLEACH took soooo much from Kurumada.

If Kurumada would had allowed to adapt Ring Ni Kakeru to anime 30 years ago (like it should´ve) it might have become as popular as Saint Seiya, though its too late right now V__V
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Which inspired tons of manga-ka, the one that pops immidiately in my mind is Kubo Tite, BLEACH took soooo much from Kurumada.

If Kurumada would had allowed to adapt Ring Ni Kakeru to anime 30 years ago (like it should´ve) it might have become as popular as Saint Seiya, though its too late right now V__V

Yeah, it was cool to see Tite say how much of a fan of Saint Seiya he was whenever he was interviewed during his time in America last year.

As for Ring ni Kakero's popularity, I think the title has always been popular. I think some argue that it's more popular than Saint Seiya, at least in Japan. It's popularity is shown by the fact that the anime adaptation got a second season roughly 2 years after the first season and will now have a third season roughly 3 years after the second. Also, the sequel manga ran in a less popular magazine (Super Jump) and still lasted for 26 volumes, which might actually be longer than the first manga.

Ring ni Kakero has staying power and will always have it.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
As for Ring ni Kakero's popularity, I think the title has always been popular. I think some argue that it's more popular than Saint Seiya, at least in Japan.

Nah, in the Kurumada thread on 2ch (it was a while back, I forgot which one), there was this joke:

Ring ni Kakero fans, when asked about Saint Seiya: "OMG, Ring ni Kakero is so much better, Saint Seiya is lame in comparison! Ect, ect, ect."

Saint Seiya fans, when asked about Ring ni Kakero: "What's that?"

(In other words, StS is DEFINITELY the more popular of the two)
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
musouka, could you pretty please tell me the URL of the Kurumada threat on 2ch, for some reason I have never been able to look at those.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Even though I love the seiyuu cast and the music, the anime doesn't give the manga justice. I mean Takehito Koyasu as a jive talking black guy is quite something I'd never expect in any anime, but hey, it works. And I also dig Midoriakwa Hikaru as Skorpion.

I actually get a kick out of it's politically incorrect humor since I'm a politically incorrect person myself. Ringu ni Kakero also had some influence in G Gundam as well with how they stereotyped nationalities but to a severity I just found funny.

In the manga, NB Forrest who was renamed Mr. Whitey was actually a KKK grand wizard, instead they just made him more like Brian Hawk from Hajime no Ippo though Forrest did act that way as well, but the anime chose to emphasize on that personality.

And close to the end of the manga, Jun fights the world champion........spoiler[His name is actually Jesus Christ but he looks more like Char from Gundam, and his attack is known as the Neo Bible]

And the Germans were actually portrayed more directly as Nazis in the manga by even having the swastikas, and the Italians are mobsters.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1