• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Olympic Medalist Satomi Suzuki: 'I'm Going to Become a Voice Actress'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
No gold medals?

Well, I don't want some silver medalist voice acting in my Japanese cartoons, no sir!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
lol ^ good one

but what makes her think we care? i want a space station in space but you don't see me on the news
nyunyuelf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
If that's what she wants to do, then great! Not everybody speaks because they want attention Anime cry
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
That usually depends on what metal she scores in the producer's office event.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
What? Good press about anime? What is it, bizarro day?

Anyway, it should be simple enough to get her feet wet in some guest roles on some kid's shows, and if she shows promise, she could swing that into a more serious gig. And with her Olympic winnings, she shouldn't have to resort to the usual fallback career of hentai voice actress, which is good.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
but what makes her think we care? i want a space station in space but you don't see me on the news

Did it ever occur to you that maybe she had nothing to do with putting the interest article being here on Anime News Network and was just.... uh, telling this to her childhood swimming coach on the phone?
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading (about people interested in pursuing VO) that saying "I like anime/cartoons" isn't really a good reasoning (or at least admitting) for pursuing the field, since it usually means they're not thinking about it as a business and/or don't realize that it's a craft, you usually have to study acting, etc.

Good for her on the Silver Medals though.
mizunosaki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
If she can become a seiyuu that's great, I think it would be an interesting story to talk about at a seiyuu event how she used to be an Olympic medalist.

I do agree that it's a different importance between a story of "Satomi Suzuki says I'm going to become a Voice Actress" and "Satomi Suzuki becomes a voice actress."
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
OK, I don't see this being any difference from Shawn Johnson appearing on Dancing with the stars (same thing for Apollo Anton Ohno), and Figure Skater Sasha Cohen appearing in a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little annoyed by some of the reaction here. The smug flippancy that interest articles sometimes meet is frustrating.

She's is an Olympic medalist; a woman of impressive physical attainment and object of mainstream acclaim, yet she's embraced things associated with a socially marginal boy's club. She's a high-caliber jock who's also pretty openly a nerd. I love that kind of contrast and unexpected combination of traits. In my book, that makes her cool.

I fear that she might not quite know what she'd be getting into by achieving that dream, but I admire her spirit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Great! This is awesome both for her and for the anime industry! Anytime we can get good press and have a popular person be involved with the industry, the better others will view it all. Good publicity is good Smile.

Not sure why there have been ANY negative reactions to this.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I remember reading (about people interested in pursuing VO) that saying "I like anime/cartoons" isn't really a good reasoning (or at least admitting) for pursuing the field, since it usually means they're not thinking about it as a business and/or don't realize that it's a craft, you usually have to study acting, etc.

That's probably not true since many seiyuu enter the field because they like anime and it was a childhood dream. I can think of a handful off the top of my head.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Crystal wrote:

That's probably not true since many seiyuu enter the field because they like anime and it was a childhood dream. I can think of a handful off the top of my head.

There's a number of American VAs as well. Greg Ayres, Todd Haberkorn, and Cristina Vee off the top of my head wanted to do voice acting because they liked anime.

Back on topic, that's really cool and best of luck to her. Seiyuu is a very competitive job field and while she'll probably get one or two jobs on her Olympic medalist status, if she really wants to do it, she has quite the road ahead.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Good luck to her, hope she has the talent for it.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Maybe she could star in a Battle Athletes remake? I would love to see that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2